Diverse Natives

Discussion in 'Design Suggestions' started by EleSigma, Oct 29, 2016.

1. EleSigma

EleSigma Member

Would it be possible to have different native tribal species for different biomes instead of fish people being in every biome? Lovecraft mythos has a ton of weird races to pick from.

• Plant people for tropical biomes who have a thing for sticking the brains of colonists in jars and a fascination of shiny metal objects. (based on the Mi-Go)
    • In the arctic biomes Indescribable, extremely resiliant creatures who are the remnants of a collapsed, highly advanced empire which reverted to a tribal state and are jealous and scornful of humans, their technology and burgeoning empires. (based on the Elder Things)
    • In desert biomes, mysterious underground dwelling lizard people who emerge at night to steal supplies and kidnap colonists too far away from the colony. (Based on the lizard civilization from "The Nameless City")

GreenJelly, Samut and Exile like this.
  2. nice additions! I though that Mi-go would be a more Alpine-related specie, since the their first appearence is near a wild region covered in forests (not really, but that's the feeling I got from it, I've yet to read "The whisperer oin the darkness" in the original language, maybe I missed something). Fishpeople are really the ones who should be more centered around the tropical biomes...

But a mi-go race of traders could be quite interesting...

Exile and EleSigma like this.
  3. EleSigma

EleSigma Member

The story took place in Vermont, U.S. which is a northern temperate area (though there are a lot of pine trees there though :p). The creatures in the game could be anything though, I was just using the Mi-go as a reference for the creature so people would get the idea.

Exile likes this.
  4. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Member

Mi-Go get around, but they're particularly associated with mountains. HPL identified them with the yeti ("migou") myth: "No use, either, to point out the even more startlingly similar belief of the Nepalese hill tribes in the dreaded Mi-Go or "Abominable Snow-Men" who lurk hideously amidst the ice and rock pinnacles of the Himalayan summits".

...not that the physical description of Mi-Go is remotely like yeti myths, but he wasn't exactly a stickler for accuracy in such things.

Anyway, yeah, I like the idea.

Exile likes this.
  5. Wolg

Wolg Member

They'll just need to be modelled, textured, animated and their behaviours scripted... ;)

EleSigma, Cthulhu_Awaits and Exile like this.
  6. Excellent DLC material! :D

Exile likes this.
  7. Samut

Samut Member

And we need to figure out how to import models into the game.

Exile likes this.
  8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(note: there are models for one REDACTED that did not get into the game)

Exile, EleSigma and Cthulhu_Awaits like this.
  9. EleSigma

EleSigma Member

I hope the REDACTED sees the light of day eventually. :D I'm guessing the fact it's REDACTED means you guys still have something planned for it.

Exile likes this.
  10. Samut

Samut Member

I hope the whole REDACTED bit can be dropped altogether. CE has gone gold with a very limited subset of the features most people expected. We're past the point where Gaslamp should be keeping things secret because they're going to get to it later, since there's a pretty good chance that they're not going to get to it at all.

Take this extra model in the files. That's awesome, but if it's going to get mentioned, they should just go ahead and tell us what it is. It can be put in spoiler tags so players who don't want to know can avoid it. Most players never read the forums anyway; they'll still be suitably surprised when the slug people or giant sand worms or whatever show up.

Of course, any unused assets would be appreciated. There were blog posts from years ago with mockups for boats, a truck, all sorts of cool stuff. If any of that stuff is usuable, please consider making it available somewhere for modding purposes. Thank you.

Exile likes this.
  11. EleSigma

EleSigma Member

I've looked at the files in the past and there's apparently models (well it's in the models folder anyways) for a landing craft, fishing boat, airships, minecarts, and trams. Also before they were removed there were brick fences in the beta.

Exile and Samut like this.
  12. Samut

Samut Member

Sweet.

Exile likes this.
  13. PFC_Calico

PFC_Calico Member

maybe with any chance of larger maps in future to see another colony being made by the ai "dominant nation" just to give you the ability to force-ably remove them from the area to gain 100 approval from the motherland and stop invasions but this would then cause an alliance from the other nations who now see you as "too big for your boots" to invade. or even actual villages for the fish people and other sentient beings.