Bad Weapon / Hands Full and Ranged Attacks

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Anrita, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Anrita

Anrita Member

So, I've read that equipping melee weapons without the appropriate skills to use them applies % penalties to damage. But, I'm not sure if these damage penalties applies to melee attacks only, or if it also applies to ranged attacks (or even magic spells, for that matter). Does anyone know? Thanks.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Melee only, and there's no penalty for using a crossbow even if you don't have the skill.

3. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

We're running an experiment in the 107 beta with removing the 'bad weapon' penalty. Basically you'll only get bonuses for having a weapon skill, though dual wield still gets a damage penalty. Response to this change has been fairly positive so I think it'll go in to the core game.

Exile, Warskull and blob like this.
  4. Godwin

Godwin Member

Hmm I think I am opposed, when I read it I immediately thought: what? no... it should be a larger penalty! The penalty was nerfed sometime ago and I didn't like that, personally.
    But yeah, can't say much since I don't have 1.07. I don't mean to say that I know what's best either, just... giving my opinion.

Melee weapon skills are not picked enough I think, and this will compound that. Of course there are different ways of solving that. Also, it might lead to crafting be less viable, since there's no real need for crafting your weapon if you can make do with any one.

Also, I liked the icon, and the idea. In some cases it's still better to go with a named weapon you have no skill in, but usually you'll be crafting/looking for your weapon skill weapon.

5. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

This is an interesting idea. Thematically I love the idea that you must have skill with a weapon - but from a player's perspective it probably makes sense to let this go away.

Here's an idea - give each weapon skill a +5 enemy dodge reduction at level 1. Then reduce base accuracy a bit. That will help mitigate the difference, at least somewhat. Plus it makes weapon skills look better!

6. Godwin

Godwin Member

I was lying in bed last night and I had an idea about this:

Wouldn't it make sense if basic weapons like a stick, a pointy stick (sword), a stick with a heavy end (mace) and a stick with a cutting end (axe) can all be used without much problem. I mean: it's a crude object and you swing it, what's the problem?
    On the other hand, the Flail of the Pleiades, if you swing that without any knowledge the spiked balls bounce back in your face or on your arm.

So, to reflect this, you could make the basic/crude weapons ALL be without penalty, while the more sophisticated weapons (like a halberd... it's a stick, but it's unbalanced, big, etc: hard to fight with without practice) DO have a rather big penalty. (example: all weapons of 2 stars or less no penalty, above it they do have penalty. Dunno if stars work like that in every case though)

Another idea I had, that kind of reflects that too but is another way of implementing it entirely, is that you say that the better you want to use a weapon, the more skill you will need to have. Meaning a basic painful strike is no problem, but to really maximize your damage potential you need skill.
    You can simply make it so that 2/3rds of the damage goes away IF that results in a full point being removed (absolute rounding down of removal of damage point).
    Example:
    Weapon does 1 damage -> With penalty 1 damage
    Weapon does 2 -> 2 with penalty
    Weapon does 3 -> 2 with penalty
    4 -> 3
    5 -> 4
    6 -> 4
    7 -> 5
    8 -> 6
    9 -> 6
    etc

For calculating what damage will be removed I'd suggest remove basic weapon damage first and never remove a damage type (for example, if a weapon does 4 crushing and 2 existential damage a non-proficient wielder would deal 2 crushing and 2 existential (as opposed to 3 crushing and 1 existential). A weapon that does 1 righteous, 2 slashing, 1 existential, 1 necromantic, 1 toxic damage with penalty would deal: 1 righteous, 1 slashing, 1 existential, 1 necromantic, 1 toxic. Yes this is only a removal of 1 damage point, lucky you :p).

7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Linking the number of stars to the damage penalty leads to some interesting effects like Timberbane being easier to wield than a Piratical Cutlass despite being more powerful. But then, I have to admit, I have zero understanding of why certain items have certain star ratings. :)

8. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I've been noodling around with a problem which relates to this discussion - the fact that any weapon other than "The Best" weapon of that type is pretty much useless. Why would I ever craft the Fancy Hatchet (Smithing lvl 2) for example, when I could craft a Steel Axe, which then upgrades? The problem, as I've been thinking about it, is that anyone who gets smithing lvl 2 will eventually get smithing lvl 5 - so they are always looking to build the best possible weapon. Makes 50% or more of the crafting items unused middle-tier junk.

But now from this discussion I've taken hold of the idea that weapon skill could be tied to proficiency. So maybe wielding a level 4 axe requires 4 skill points in the Axe Mastery tree. Similarly, if you just find a Fine Steel Axe on the ground or at Brax's place you'll need to up your weapon proficiency to use it. That makes the melee weapon trees really important, and simultaneously makes the crafting skills less of a one-stop-shopping location for your equipment through the midgame.

9. Godwin

Godwin Member

That sounds interesting indeed, but I don't know how the downsides will be.
    As in, how difficult it will be to survive the first few levels.
    Or how difficult you're making a no-weapons build.
    Thing is, it will also put the crafting skills further back, and while you say people will eventually get their craft to level 5, it is also true that unless I really make a strict commitment to up it as fast as possible, I find that I rarely raise it above 3 before floor 4.
    Also, why craft a fancy hatchet instead of a steel axe? Because steel is rare and you may be able to use that hatchet for a full floor or two before finding the necessary steel/chalk.

Reminds me about the Gladius: it has two ways of making one, with different materials, really liked that as I could spend the less usefull mats on that.
    Also, most weapons are upgradeable, and I don't really mind if there is clutter that's less usefull: It'll be like the real world!
    Really, have no problem with there being a lot of craftables that are not optimal.

10. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

In theory, the answer is supposed to be 'scarcity of resources' -- as in, you should have to choose the Hatchet because you've already used your Steel to make a Breastplate. Thus, the Fine Aluminum everythings -- because you've already used your Steel on that Katana you wanted. :)

11. Warskull

Warskull Member

I like the idea of no longer having a bad weapon penalty. The melee skills could be buffed to compensate. It also gives you the window to create crazier melee skills down the road.