Help Me Make A Melee Warrior Build Please!!!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Toasty the Baker, Jul 15, 2011.

1. So what Skills should I choose at the beginning? Also, what Skills should I invest the level up points in first?

2. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Well, a weapon skill, armor, shield or dual wield, whichever your preference.

I've been using Smithing, and making myself gear (and replacing gear ruined by corruption attacks).

One of the magic skills that has healing would probably come in handy.

And I'm thinking that Archaeologist should be a staple for pretty much every character I make. Because it lets you use those Krong altars TWICE. Which is uber.

3. So what is the Skill called that gives me a healing spell?

4. Greg72

Greg72 Member

For melee

Astrology (keep the level 1 shield up, will give you + dmg + mr, sight and aoe stun
    Archaeology (required, max) to reroll your items till you get + dmg or health regen
    ---- and extra krong altars, every artifact you don't/won't use 'sell' for exp
    Dodge for obvious reasons, and knightly leap will get you out of trouble
    Perception to enhance trap skills and dodge and never miss/see throughw alls
    Burglary (for picks to lutefisk) and for the traps help

Last two skills are up to you
    I suggest sword and armour, but really the other 5 make any style melee very effective

FYI 6 health regen gives you 1 health per tick, makes life as a melee much easier with knightly leap to get away. Reroll items until you get +dmg and health regen.

You'll get the +stats and dmg you want with arch (put first 3 points here), will regen incredibly fast w/o needing food, use mana to keep that shield up, once you hit level up 3 and have 3-4 artifacts and several krong altars you'll be golden early game

5. Greg72

Greg72 Member

the key is astrology stunning groups/+dmg and archaeology rerolling artifacts until you get 6 life regen and heal 1hp per turn

6. Greg i cant seem ti find Knightly Leap as one of the skills.

7. Greg72

Greg72 Member

you'll have high dmg, high health regen, get out of stuff free card, very high dodge, and be able to disarm nearly every trap you see and see through walls.

8. Greg72

Greg72 Member

Evasion level 2 is nightly leap, keep in mind you need to be facing a proper direction to use it well, you'll get the hang of it

add me on steam and chat with me there, Tegga21@hotmail.com

9. K i added you on Steam

10. Greg72

Greg72 Member

send me a message; its either tegga21, or tegga21@hotmail.com

11. RF

RF Member

I disagree with Greg, pretty much completely. The Master of Arms skills give you a pretty decent amount of health regen (especially after you've just taken damage which is, y'know, when you need it) and you can just chew down a shit tonne of food if you need to heal.

I'm trying to build a counter build (hits back when you get hit) and I'm thinking dual wield / swords / a bunch of rogue skills. This should work pretty well and essentially make you invincible since counter negates all damage, as far as I can tell.

12. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

Playing as a counter build now. Sword, dual wield, astrology (because it rocks), master of arms (suit up is nice), burglary for exp and lutefisk, smithing (fine steel swords are great early on, and that +1 trap mastery is nice early), and assassination for extra stuns when astrology doesn't proc.
    I also got lucky on a Krong use that gave my sword a chance to do the astrology aoe stun on attack, so it happens veeeery frequently. I also have like ~28% counter and %30 block. Works ok. Enemies that hit hard can be really deadly though.

13. Valygar

Valygar Member

You should also give Vampirism a chance. Tried that once, and I wiped the level one quite easily, but I encountered a miniboss on lvl2 and I only did like 5 damage to him :/ (and he did 12). You need some skill to detect traps (Perception, Burglary, or Smithing lvl2) but in normal combat you will regain way more health than you lose. I think the more damage you do, the more damage you recover, so it might be nice with a lot of armor, or with a lot of damage and evasion skills.

14. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

Whatever the mushroom skill is called is better than Vampirism for that, Valygar. Those little red ones give you insane life steal. If you are diligent planting spores and harvesting mushrooms, that is. It gets tedious.

15. Tekvorian

Tekvorian Member

Nice hint Rikkard. The name of that mushroom is Greedy Blungecap. I will definitely check it out.

16. Aarika

Aarika Member

I'm trying out an unarmed heavily armored build currently.

Skills are:
    Unarmed Combat
    Shield Bearer
    Master of Arms
    Berserker Rage
    Vampirism
    Viking Wizardry
    Archaeology

I haven't died in combat yet or even come close, granted I haven't been past the 2nd level of the dungeon yet though. Unarmed Combat allows the use of two shields without sacrificing damage and 'zerker rage with viking wizardry really pumps up the damage. Vampirism is nice for regaining health and the second ability allows for even more health recovery. Archaeology just because it's about essential for altars.

I'm still trying to tweak it a bit, not sure I like Vampirism. I'm not a big fan of the crafting in this game but I may switch it out for Alchemy instead for health regen. Also thinking about switching out zerker rage for Perception or something.

So many options!