My tuppence worth as a newbie...

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Jezza, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Jezza

Jezza Member

Hi everybody,

I’ve been following development progress of this game for the last year, not so much the fine details but more just keeping tabs on how near launch it was if I’m honest!
    I finally decided to buy a copy last week though as I was nearing the end of my week off work and had actually completed most of the tasks I had set myself, so obviously I deserved a reward, and as was feared/expected 40 odd hours were lost to the colonies in the following 3 days and I foresee many more going the same way in the future….so thanks, I think.

Anyhow I thought I’d post up a couple of things I’ve noticed or not noticed or thoughts I’ve had, as I read a couple of other posts in a similar vein and the dev team actually seems to appreciate it here(a rare thing…), I suspect it’s probably all been covered somewhere or other, but as a new player I reckon I’m entitled to have a degree of ignorance so here’s a few thunks I had!

-When you close the 'designating activity area' tools it seems wrong to click on 'cancel', that could be construed as to imply 'cancel the one you've just laid', perhaps clicking on a 'done' button would better.

-Clicking on a stockpile requires clicking on a square to view the contents, which can be tricky when the stockpile is bustling with goodies(or just when shaking with excitement!!!), perhaps when you click on an item and it gives you the option to 'designate as trade good' there could also be an option to view stockpile?
    Also having a button link on the stockpile window to the colony commodities screen would be nice.
    Having the ability to set minimum amounts of specific items to be held in specific stockpiles would be very helpful, that would allow strategic positioning of individual stockpiles for individual processes.
    Having placed a stockpile next to a building colonists reach through the walls to retrieve items from the adjoining squares, even going inside a building to place things outside.

-It would be nice to be able to hold the right mouse button and drag the view, as well as right clicking to move directly to a location.

-Are there more external building customisation or modules planned (or in the pipeline already perhaps)? Maybe a veranda or porch area, different styles of roof, or even just a decorative finish, like wooden shingles from carpentry, clay tiles from ceramics and even copper cladding from the metal workshop (anyone want to channel some lightening???).
    And as we’re on the subject of aesthetics, having some nice cobbled paving would be very much appreciated, or even just the ability to clear dirt pathways early game and progress towards some finer flooring stuffs.

-In modules at the bottom left the simple cabinet is named cheap cabinet

-Upkeep is killing me…..is how I started writing this last week before I found the experimental build, it’s definitely more manageable in that but the whole process does seem a bit clunky if I’m honest, as a representation of repair and maintenance, building these trunks doesn’t feel right to me. Keeping an upkeep team fully stocked with materials, tools and with work crates to carry them in seems a lot more immersive...if that’s the right word, and then perhaps the fancy repair trunks could be utilised as clothing trunk modules or something?
    On that note, if the carpentry chaps aren’t making quite so many trunks then could somebody possibly teach them how to make casks so as to be able to transport a decent amount of booze to the pub??

-When invaded by foreign johnnies or the like, if the colony survives the attack they are faced with having to bury or dump an awful lot of bodies, I wonder if there could be an option for mass graves *shivers* to be dug for the enemies of the Empire, with the obvious downside of this being rather frowned upon by said enemies and potentially damaging relations further, or even worse perhaps the ignominy and anger felt by the spirits of the those buried in such a fashion.... alternatively a wheelbarrow to speed up the transportation might help.

-Module placement UI is pretty bright and hard to see for me, far be it form me to tell you how to design but this as an alternative I think could work....

Instead of having the floors turn blue and red you could add a green glow around the outer edge of any building that can receive the selected module.
    Modules themselves suffer from the green and blue glows contrasting against the red and blue floors. If the floors retained the wood texture whilst having the green outline, as above, then perhaps a green outline around the base of the module sections that are placed correctly and a red glow for incorrect placed would be easier on the eye, and instead of having the green box for access points have a 2D footprint symbol on the floor that changes from red to green depending on correct placement(this whole thing sounds very familiar now, I’ve probably unwittingly taken it straight from another game!). But those are just my thoughts, it’s the only thing visually that bugs me.

So to summarise, I think the game is awesome, the dev team seem like nice people
    (from my limited reading of the blog and forum, I may just have missed the posts where their true evil natures were made known...), and the forum seems like a very pleasant place indeed, so on the whole, good show chaps, consider me in for the long haul!

Jezza

Manamoo, Tarod, Daynab and 2 others like this.
  2. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

Welcome to the forums! :D

3. Unforked

Unforked Member

Yes, welcome!:)

You may find yourself becoming a "next build junkie" like so many of us. Don't panic, this is perfectly normal and will in no way convert your mind into an agent of Quag'garoth.

I have a feeling 53b will be out tonight.

Tarod likes this.
  4. Jezza

Jezza Member

Many thanks, and yes I am already finding myself itching for the latest, greatest version of the game, it's like an itch that gnaws, like a rat-itch nibbling at my brain....., just gotta be strong!

5. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Welcome to the forums!

6. Tarod

Tarod Member

+1 For mass pit graves.

Snowpig and Rentahamster like this.
  7. Manamoo

Manamoo Member

Welcome to the forums and the game....I agree with your tuppence worth... ;) on the Upkeep, especially, which all that know me, know that's my biggest issue. I played a tiny bit...and I am still not happy with it, it doesn't fit...but I won't get into yet another broken record rant, here. Just glad a new player is finding it off putting as well as some of us older players.