New Mod: Embreakening

Discussion in 'Modding' started by starslayer, Feb 8, 2016.

1. starslayer

starslayer Member

You went to enchanting school, and did so poorly your degree says 'embreakener' instead of 'enchanter'. Perhaps you can focus your destructive tendencies as an adventurer.

Even ignoring the skill that comes with this mod having embreakening installed creates 5 new ingot types called essences. Essences can be used to encrust with 0 instability. True essences (the rarest form) can be used to apply negative instability to any item.

Embreakeners have a 1% chance (per level in the skill) to embreaken a dying enemy and create an essence.

You have access to some extremely powerful, but very costly embreakening powers. However channeling that power through your system will cause a long lasting 'broken' debuff that affect max health and many stats. You CAN kill yourself with the broken debuff (and that death can seemingly come out of nowhere due to getting 0 burlyness).

Currently a rogue skill because I kind of like the humor of a 'failed wizard' getting rogue levels instead of wizard levels.

1. Embreaken other - Apply massive damage, and paralysis to a foe in melee combat.
    2. Embreaken Space - Create a wall, anything on the wall spawn point will be under lockdown for the duration and unable to move.
    3. Embreaken Injury - Heal yourself (though it still applies the broken debuff- a powerful caster can make good use of this spell, but watch that max health).
    4. Embreaken wall - Digging beam, but instead of costing a lot of manna, breaks you!
    5. Embreaken Self - Cure afflictions, then apply 7 broken debuffs (you should assure you have at least 50 max health before using this if you don't want to die instantly).

Side note: I suck at icons, some of them are downright broken, if anyone wants to help me fix them/suggest new ones I would really appreciate it.

Also on steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618960254

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I'll try to remember to try this the next time I play Dredmor

3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I've tried it now and I like it.

The only issue I've had so far is the minor thematic one of the use of unmodified existing skill art for the skill icon and first level. So I've taken the liberty of putting together a couple of images to replace them. For the main skill icon an crop of an apparently unused game resource depicting the female hero with a burning scroll, superimposed on a custom background I generated in GIMP. For the first level, the current "Logical Explanation" icon, but with a big crack superimposed over it (and an alternate one with a different crack and another alternate with a cracked Brax head)

Attached Files:

4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Also, I wasn't sure whether the physical essence was supposed to not look like anything, or if it was just incomplete, but if it is incomplete, here are a couple of sprites you could use

Attached Files:

5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Also, the debuff doesn't seem to proc properly when you cast Embreaken Wall