Mac stability issues?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by DaveSt, Nov 1, 2011.

1. DaveSt

DaveSt Member

Most of the time I play DoD on my Windows 7 desktop machine and the game is rock solid. I have noticed however that the game tends to lock up my Macbook Pro (13" 2011 model) often enough that I don't even dare playing it anymore. I don't remember having this many issues in previous versions, so I am wondering if something in the latest version is broken under OS X?

If this helps, I can describe a certain place that always seems to freeze the game. On the first level, near the middle of the map there is usually a very large open area with a ton of loot lying around. Usually there is a room on the north side with a couple of Elly's guarding a cube. If I walk around this large room a couple of times I can almost guarantee that at some point the game will freeze my Mac to the point of requiring a complete power off. I tried three games today and got three lockups in this room after about 10 minutes of play each time.

2. Derakon

Derakon Member

While I admit I generally avoid the Eely room on level 1 (a cube not being worth dealing with two out-of-depth acid-spitting monsters), I play on OSX and I've crashed the game all of once, on a previous version. So either there's something important that's different between your and my setups (I'm on a desktop, for example), or (long shot) you're on 1.0.5 instead of 1.0.6 and there's some bug they fixed (though I have plenty of playtime on 1.0.5 with no issues, too). Couldn't be earlier than 1.0.5 because that's the first version with the Eely room.

3. DaveSt

DaveSt Member

Thanks for the reply. I am on version 1.06 for sure. I figured it must have something to do with my setup because I haven't seen any other threads on this subject. Maybe I will try removing and reinstalling the game to see if that helps.

Just out of curiosity, are you running Lion or Snow Leopard? I haven't made the jump to Lion yet, but perhaps the OS version makes a difference.

4. Derakon

Derakon Member

Er, 10.6, which IIRC is Snow Leopard. I can never keep the cats straight.

5. DaveSt

DaveSt Member

Just in case anybody else is experiencing freezes playing DoD on their Mac, I found that running the game in a window rather than full screen took care of my issues. Changing back to full screen results in a hard lock pretty much 100% of the time, at least on my Macbook Pro. I'm not ruling out a Steam issue, and I see a new version just came out for Mac so I will test and see what happens.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I can confirm now: this is certain, older Macs with Radeon drivers.

We'll fix it.

7. thinkpol

thinkpol Member

Awesome, thanks! I just got back from an unfortunately too long hiatus to find my iMac encountering the white screen of death whenever I try to run full screen mode. Any ETA on the fix? (By Xmas would be nice. ;))

(iMac 5.1, 2.33 GHZ dual core, 2 GB, Radeon X1600)

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Umm.

Let me yell at Ryan. I'll make sure it gets done for 1.0.8, but it didn't get in for 1.0.7.

9. thinkpol

thinkpol Member

Thanks Nicholas! Looking forward to get back to some diggle slaughtering soon!

10. DaveSt

DaveSt Member

I'm not sure the Radeon drivers are the entire cause of the crash however. I am playing DoD on a 2011 13" Macbook Pro which has Intel HD3000 integrated graphics only. I still get crashes when I run full screen. When my wife's Air arrives this week I will try running on that and see if the problem is repeatable there as well. For now running in a window isn't too bad.

11. thefreedpig

thefreedpig Member

This is still a problem. 1.08 didn't fix it. I'm running 10.6.8 on an older intel imac (32bit not 64 like the new ones) with a radeon graphics card. Full screen never opens (it stalls on the white screen with music playing) and without fullscreen it is full of lag and too slow. Any ideas? I'd love to buy the expansion but not if it doesn't work.

12. I can confirm this issue (1.0.8, 2011 13" MBP running 10.7.2). The game locks up around the third floor for me pretty consistently. When it locks up, the music continues to play and my fans spin up like crazy. I'll try playing windowed to see if that resolves the issue, but it's a consistent issue in full screen mode.

13. DaveSt

DaveSt Member

I'm glad to see some confirmation on this one. You are running almost the same system I am (except I am still running Snow Leopard). I have found the only way to play DoD on my Mac is to run Steam through Parallels with an XP installation. Certainly not the best solution but the game just isn't playable natively on the Mac full screen. This issue is not Radeon related as we only have integrated Intel graphics.

14. thefreedpig

thefreedpig Member

Any update on this issue? Its been confirmed and you guys said you'd fix it. What is the status because the game hasn't been playable for 4 months on older macs. Pre 1.06 it worked great, not since.

15. thinkpol

thinkpol Member

/bump

Still looking for a fix.