I think the Corruption effect on gear is a little overpowered.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Lord Blade, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

For one, it comes off on pretty much every attack they land from what I can tell.
    Secondly, it stacks, which quickly turns your gear into garbage.
    And it's a permanent effect, which basically makes your gear worthless after a single fight with those dragon things.

I think that the effect should be temporary. If not, make it a very rare occurrence.
    As it is now, running into those enemies basically means you should remove your gear, otherwise you're pretty much losing any value it had.

I had a sword that was giving me 15 slashing damage.
    It now also gives me -5 to 6 different stats, and the slashing damage is down to 2.
    That's from fighting THREE of those creatures.

That's just ridiculous.

2. RF

RF Member

Man, get a ranged attack. If you've not fought level draining, ressurection preventing undead in any other game, then I can understand your issues, but the idea here is to prepare in advance for creatures that will turn your armour into worthless, useless shit.

3. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Well, my preparation right now is to just take my stuff off.

I've tried ranged attacks, but they do no damage to the things.
    And my spells are pretty useless too.

Unless you specifically focus on range or magic... killing things at range is a pain.

4. RF

RF Member

There's a reason you keep some high level bolts in your quickload bar. Useful for zoos, too.

5. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Never had problems with zoos. Just usually stand at the door so I'm only fighting three things at a time.

And those high level bolts run out incredibly fast.

6. Misery

Misery Member

This element is actually extremely common among certain types of Roguelikes. Enemies that can permanently damage/wreck/destroy your equipment with a single hit.

This being the case, it's not going to be removed from the game or even made temporary; it's an intended part of the challenge. The game FORCES you to find a new way to deal with the foe, lest your weapon or something get destroyed. There's always some way around it; in this game, I can think of a few ways.

But yeah, it's an intended part of the design and something that's been seen in the genre many times before.

7. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Well, in most games with such effects, there's generally ways to get around it. Rustproofing, enchanting, extra gear for protection, etc.

There doesn't seem to be anything you can do in this game other than taking your stuff off.
    If you're set up for it, you can try to kill things at range. If you're not... you're basically stuck kicking things to death.

8. RF

RF Member

I didn't try, but what do potions of purity do? I'm fairly certain they clear all your buffs and debuffs, but what other than that?

9. afterstar

afterstar Member

Is the corruption effect affected by magic resistances or any other stat?
    I mean if I have magic resistance high enough and extra +Resistance stats of the appropriate magic school,will it negate/resist the effect?

10. Misery

Misery Member

Not all Roguelikes make it easy to get around such an effect with rustproofing or whatever; yet, they still expect you to deal with it (and those are the ones I'm familiar with). This is just another one of those.

Even without anti-rust type effects, I can still think of multiple ways around the problem even just with a pure melee character.

Dangerous situations in this game are all about using your skills and items in the right ways. Experiment and try things out, and you'll get past them eventually.

11. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Well, I have been getting past them. They do eventually die to kicks. :p

12. Misery

Misery Member

Which is probably more hilarious anyway

13. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

It's just tedious. I spot a corrupting enemy, open my inventory and character screen, remove all my equipment one piece at a time, kick them all to death, them put all my stuff back on.

Would be nice to have a button to unequip all.