Qi/Chi: Magic for fighters

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RaustBD, Nov 22, 2011.

1. RaustBD

RaustBD Member

I've been tossing around the idea of a non-wizard archetype tree that uses magic, and, more importantly, relies on stats warriors will actually have. It'll basically give melee fighters an actual use for their mana, without detracting from their fighter status.

Given the light-hearted and satirical nature of this game, I feel such "magic" would be best manifested as DBZ-esque powers. Some example powers:

1: Energy Ball, inflicts blast damage based on your burliness. Costs Mana.

2: Super form, glowing spiky eyebrows (and hair, I guess, if you really want to, but mainly the eyebrows.) Improves your stats drastically, but eats through your mana like crazy.

3: Qi healing, Heals you based on your Stubbornness.

4: Energy Blast, launches a Kamehameha-esque beam of energy in the direction of your choosing, attacks multiple enemies at once if they're in a row.

Any thoughts?

2. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Great minds think alike, eh?

QiGong grants warriors Righetous damage to their attacks, a pair of idential Chi Blasts that acts like a low-damage, quick-regen timed fireball (righteous + blasting damage, 9 square radius, one each on two separate 7-turn cooldowns), a Remove Curse effect with a pretty long cooldown (to shrug off big nasty special effects), and a Spirit Bomb a la Goku that deals horrendous damage to everything (including you) and has an extraordinary cooldown (I think 512 turns.)

So yeah, something similar. :) About your ideas:

1) Unfortuately, there's no real way to get damage to scale based on anything except Magic Power. You can get it to add Melee Power, but not scale to anything else.

2) That sounds totally cool (and doable)!

3) Again, factoring on anything but Magic Power is currently impossible. :(

4) That would be pretty simple and fun to do, too. :)

I'm also currently working on a Rogue-archetype tree that uses mana to perform Ninja Magic. I'm honestly not sure just how balanceable non-Wizard-archetype 'spells' are -- they have to either suck or cost large quantities of mana to compensate for the superior archetypes they're attached to. But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking of it!

4. RaustBD

RaustBD Member

Would it be possible for the ability to, upon activation, provide a one-turn buff to your magic power proportional to your stats, so that it's over the same turn you cast it, but applies to the spell? I know that some skills can scale with non-magic traits, like the mushroom farmer's skill improving in output for each level you have in the fungal arts tree.

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

1. No, it would not. You can't do anything with those values directly at the moment, it's very likely planned given the responses of devs to previous suggestions of scaling to other stats, but is not implemented in any way, the only two possible stats are magic power and melee power.
    2. The mushroom farmer skill is hardcoded, it's in a set of tags, and in there the amount is multiplied by your fungal skill level.