Playing without Steam?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by ceemko, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ceemko

ceemko Member

Hello,
    I've just bought DoD and I'm yet to explore it completely, but I was wondering - is there a way to play it without Steam? You see, I sometime get bored in work and I can't install Steam there and so far I haven't found a way to make Steam portable :)
    So - is there a non-Steam version?

2. mohneyman

mohneyman Member

One option (the one I use) is to install the game at home, then open the Steam client and chose the 'Go Offline' option. As long as you have the game installed you can still run it with Steam in Offline mode without being connected to Steam

3. Artreus

Artreus Member

The problem with that is that you need to install steam and get the game installed. Which ceemko can not do on the work computer.

I don't actually have any ideas myself, just wanted to point out that that would not really work

4. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

Perhaps they'll also sell it through Gamersgate or something. I would've preferred that, myself.

5. MikeW

MikeW Member

Try to make a copy of "Steam" from C:\ or wherever and put it on a USB drive? Not sure. Can you play games via the site? Hmm I am not sure, maybe have a look at those...

6. gecus

gecus Member

I'm not sure about windows, but it's probably the same. If you go into the install directory for Steam and look in SteamApps/common/dungeons\ of\ dredmor/ you should be able to find the executable. On my computer this executable can be ran independently of steam.

7. xrogaan

xrogaan Member

If you are a linux guy, you still can wait for the linux binaries and use them at work. If you're not, then you screwed.

8. ceemko

ceemko Member

Uh I actually just made a copy of the game from steamapps/common folder to my flashdrive and it works flawlessly :) This solution at first seemed so trivial I didn't even hope it would work so I haven't tried it at first..

9. satoru

satoru Member

It's not possible to run the game without Steam. It is possible however to get Steam working from behind a proxy. I occassionally use a program called WideCap to bounce steam through an external proxy so I can autehnticate steam into offline mode.

10. ceemko

ceemko Member

As I said - by copying the DoD directory from steamapps/common you will make it work on your flash drive anywhere, even without Steam. Tested.

11. satoru

satoru Member

Actually I tested that just now and it works! I didn't even bother trying before because all other Steam games try to launch steam even if you launch the executable directly.

Of course you'll need to manually 'sync' your portable version with Steam every once and awhile as patches come out.

12. ceemko

ceemko Member

Yeah it was a surprise for me too that this worked :)

13. Ryvaeus

Ryvaeus Member

This will probably change once the game is updated to use the Steam overlay.

14. ceemko

ceemko Member

That will be a sad day for me.