Not supported on this type of Mac

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Nyama, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nyama

Nyama Member

I recently had to have my logic board replaced. Can that cause an error "You can't open the application Dungeons of Dredmor because it is not supported on this type of Mac." ?

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Is this a PPC machine? We don't support the PowerPC chipset.

3. Nyama

Nyama Member

Sorry, I should know better.

iMac 2008, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 700+ GB free on the HD, OS X 10.6.8. NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS.

I know, it's all old (in computer years).

4. Scarvye

Scarvye Member

I'm also suddenly getting this error. Sadly, Dungeons of Dredmor is the only reason I ended up getting Steam. I've played DoD on this MacBook Air before, even recently, but hadn't played it in a couple of months. Now when I try to load, I get a couple popup windows with the sad day error message reported by Nyama.

I'm playing on a most recent generation MacBook Air with 4 GB RAM and the processor upgrade. It doesn't have a video card, but as I said above, it wasn't necessary to play any other time before.

5. lokjuu

lokjuu Member

I have the same problem used to work but now coming back to the game I get the same error message. I got a Mac pro quad core Intel Xeon (2.26GHz) with 6GB RAM with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card.

6. Nicholas

Okay, we still can't reproduce this over here and have no clue what's going on. So! We're going to do have to do FORENSICS.

Can somebody who is getting this try running the game from the Console: /Application/Utilities/Console and let me know if it produces any useful output? Thanks!

7. Scarvye

Scarvye Member

Oh ho ho, I'm back in action. Console output showed a corrupt executable, and verifying the integrity of the game cache was a dead end. However, deleting the local game content and reinstalling did the trick. Must have been some error in the update process through Steam that wouldn't turn up in testing of clean installs... who knows what versions I skipped when I tried to boot it up afresh. :confused:

Thanks again for the Twitter support (this being @ryanszrama). I appreciate it.

8. Nicholas

Excellent. Can anybody else with this problem confirm that this is Steam eating executables? Delete the local game content, restore it, see if Magic Happens.

*sigh* Oh Steam. You're so wacky.

9. lokjuu

lokjuu Member

I have deleted local content and downloaded it again it now works. :rolleyes:

10. Nyama

Nyama Member

Finally, I got my chance. Yes, this worked for me, as well.

Not that I got to do anything, what with my husband asking, 'hey, what's this?'