This game is just ANNOYING :(

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by 0ldfart, Nov 12, 2011.

1. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

It also doesn't last very long.

It does okay in the middle where you're likely not taking much damage from melee due to huge defense (so getting hit can actually trigger healing!), but it becomes mostly a non factor really late.

2. 123stw

123stw Member

Still, the whole point is you can get better healing WAY easier with other means on GR. In lower difficulties though it's fine.

1 HP a turn is not exactly your be all end all healing past floor 6. 2 points in any of the following:alchemy, fungal, wand lore, psionic would easily outperform regen

Having max regen mid battle is like having another point in armor resist..... It doesn't account to much if you can't heal outside. 12% chance of 1 health each turn for 4 extra turns just doesn't seem enough to prioritize my equipments for that last 2 regen. That silly thing should just give the full 12 regen itself and be done with it.

3. k0rd

k0rd Member

i swear the best advice in this thread is regarding the hording of wands and powerful bolts... USE THEM BEFORE YOU DIE :)

permadeath helps me out a lot. survival of the fittest and all.

4. k0rd

k0rd Member

I want to add some things common to roguelikes that DoD does *not* have.

- unidentified items ---- THANK YOU GASLAMP!
    - equipment damage --- but i still find myself carrying spares just in case krong gets mad at me
    - instadeath --- again THANK YOU

I really, really, really enjoy this game. can't wait for 1.0.7 :)

5. Marak

Marak Member

Powerful Bolts are your "Get out of Permadeath FREE!" card. You can't be afraid to use them.

6. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

If Walk it Off activated 100% of the time I took damage, it would almost single-handedly recover all of my tiny damage hits. With all my block and counter chance, I get hit for 2 or less damage about 80% of the time.

Unfortunately, even very good regen does pretty much nothing to help against the nasty monsters who deal exotic damage types I'm unprepared for. Those require a different approach.

7. Marak

Marak Member

Meh, maxing out your Regen - even with Procs - until you're getting 1 Health/turn still isn't terribly effective. At least, not when it counts: on the lower floors, before your Health grows to the 100+ level and your defensive stats (can) make you mostly immune to melee attacks.

It's like opening the Monster Zoo on Floor 2 or 3 and eating a Deep Omelette and expecting that to make a difference. It doesn't.

8. Godwin

Godwin Member

It does how I play ^^

... I am afraid the OP won't even be back to read all our well-meant advice and the off-topicness that followed.

brobbeh likes this.
  9. Marak

Marak Member

At least we turned a rant into a questionably helpful off-topic discussion. =p

Essence likes this.
  10. 123stw

123stw Member

It's mostly not off topic because

1. He propose his problems (rant).
    2. He request for help (Help me out? What am I doing wrong?).

As such, any info dealing with not dying on floor 2 should be within topic.

11. Marak

Marak Member

Good points, but if the OP never joins in on the discussion, then it sort of renders everything past the first 2-3 helpful posts moot. Oh well, whatever, at least we had some fun with it. And we got a glimpse into the mindset of those who don't embrace the "Losing is fun!" mantra of the Rogue-like.

12. marezpablo

marezpablo Member

I find that most of my deaths are due to getting killed by exotic damage types that kill me before I can escape. I just lost a +1 health regen, +5 magic resist, +2 existens resist, +2 fire resist, +3 counterattack ring due to getting three shotted by something I couldn't get away from. (Using food, potions, mushrooms, knight's leap, and lockdown) It just killed me too fast. ><

13. Godwin

Godwin Member

I think the game should win 39 out of 40 times. Unless you're REALLY REALLY carefull and have a good build. Then 2 out of 3 times. (talking about going Rogue btw)
    Are you talking about a monster? If it's unknown to you: fire a bolt, see how much health it has etc.
    If it was a trap: walk slowly (or invest in a trap spot radius skill or item) :p

14. The reason that i find this game to be only mildly hard is if you are playing melee. Spells are great as they are ranged and even ranged weapons are powerful too. If you are playing melee then you better have a way of evading or lessening the damage or chance for damage.

Debuffs are the key to taking out tank monsters, cast a debuff or two on tough guys and then smack them once or twice and its over. Any debuff can make a tough boss in melee, only barely a challenge.

15. Godwin

Godwin Member

Playing melee now, on level 6, one of the easiest characters so far (ok... I usually go random build... that may explain it... but I have made some decent builds with magic and stuff too).
    I'm not seeing the whole 'melee is hard' thing. But, I am not afraid to throw AOE stuff or fire nice bolts even without skills for that (build up a nice collection of bolts and found a pretty awesome artifact crossbow).

16. By the way, is the op talking about medium (dwarven) difficulty or easy (elf difficulty)? If dwarven, yeah it can be a bit unforgiving. Especially when you start a new level and your not sure what to expect with the monsters.

17. Inferno232

Inferno232 Member

Hoo boy, that's... Hah...

I'm sorry you didn't realize what Roguelikes are, for starters. You may want to be very, VERY cautious in purchasing them in the future, might just not be the genre for you, as this game is somewhat more accessible than most of them.

Next, on Permadeath, that's meant to be a "challenge" of the game. Take, for example, Minecraft. You could play on "peaceful", where everything is easy forever and even an eight year-old can enjoy the game. Or, you could ratchet it up to "Hard", where suddenly the game becomes a fair bit more difficult to survive in. Some people like those challenges, they enjoy defying them. Others don't, and they stick to easier difficulties.

Roguelikes are, by nature, made for those people that enjoy their games to be challenging. They don't mind if some stupid decision screws them over entirely. They simply start a new game and find a way around it next time. You have to play the game with a "zerg rush" mentality; your survival doesn't matter until you start getting loot, even then, get ready to die at any moment and be paranoid as hell. It ramps up the stakes.

I sometimes like my games to be a little "easier" than Dredmor tends to be, so I started one game on the lowest difficulty and turned off permadeath. I learned to avoid every possible death by reloading old saves and planning around them, I built up a huge stockpile of loot. Most importantly, I became bored as hell. I haven't touched that save since. I have since played countless games of Dredmor, and most of those games have ended in early, stupid deaths. I've learned to enjoy the challenge.

That said, it's still possible it isn't for you. If so, just make sure you look more into your purchases the next time around. I bought Dredmor because I saw gameplay of it in action, and I could tell I would enjoy it. Youtube can be your friend.

Essence and brobbeh like this.
  18. Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese Member

OH MY GOD!

I could've used space bar to skip turns in place?? I had to drink 6 times before i could knightly leap out of those teleportation spots or walk front and baack liek a moron whe nneeding to recharge a skill.

P.S. Fix corpse drain to scale with magic power, as the wiki says it does.

19. Godwin

Godwin Member

When possible and needed I'd still just walk back and forth: easier imo, and, one could argue, if one was overly fastidious, it's better strategy-wise.

20. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Same. Back and forth, back and forth. I did this quite a bit before archaeology was nerfed. ^^;