Windows XP Game fails to install all art assets

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Snoof, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Snoof

Snoof Member

I recently installed Dungeons of Dredmor (via Steam, with Realm of the Diggle Gods DLC, no Workshop files), and on startup I get the error messages

"Couldn't load PNG file items/helm_rebreather.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/helm_aluminum_wizard_hat.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/orb_clockwork.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/belt_clockwork_regulator_belt.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/pants_clockwork_actuators.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/shield_clockwork_deflector.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/axe_clockwork_ravager.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/mace_clockwork_thunderclap.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/staff_clockwork_drill_lance.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/sword_clockwork_chainsword.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/wand_sonic.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/crossbow_clockwork_rail_launcher.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/bolt_explosive_drill. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/bolt_grapple.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/bolt_steam_rocket.png. The game will now crash."
    "Couldn't load PNG file items/tome_red_cookbook.png. The game will now crash."

The game doesn't actually crash at this point. Once I start a new game, though, it crashes to desktop, either with an unknown error, or with another "Can't load PNG file etc etc" error.

I can confirm there are no png files with those names in the Dungeons of Dredmor\items directory.

I have reinstalled, and verified the integrity of the game cache, with no success or change. Any suggestions? I'd kind of like to play the game.

Edit: Installing You Have To Name The Expansion Pack appears to have fixed the issue.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Yep. The accidental dependency between packs is a known issue.