Possible skill glitch, possible layout glitch? Tiny alcoves and the "leap" skill

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by metaphysician, Jul 15, 2011.

1. metaphysician

metaphysician Member

While playing the game, I managed to get myself trapped without escape. There are tiny alcoves, typically unlocked by throwing switches, with items hidden in them but no way to walk into them. Using the second skill on the Dodge tree, which lets you leap, can get you into the alcove. However, I discovered that, because of the way the leap skill aims itself, depending on the layout you may not be able to get *out* again.

Is this an intended feature, or is a glitch? If it is a glitch, is the problem that:

1. The alcoves are supposed to be walkable, but the map generator doesn't actually give you space?

2. The leap skill is supposed to be targetable, but instead defaults to a single tile in a given direction?

3. The leap skill is not supposed to get you through the wall and into the alcove?

2. RF

RF Member

I think it's probably number 3. Why can't you get out, exactly? Try pressing space until your skill is ready?

3. tiptoes

tiptoes Member

The leap skill is not consistent. It seems like it's intended to let you jump like a chessboard knight, but actually it permits only half of the potential jumps. The game changes its mind about which directions you can jump to as well, so it seems very possible to jump to a place with no means of return. In other words, you may be able to jump up-up-right into a place, but be unable to jump down-down-left to return, or something along those lines.

To let you know, the skill is somewhat targetable, but it is still temperamental. As it works now, you can hold down the right click button to see a red square for the targeted space. There's problems with this though...

1) It seems like the skill was intended to let you jump like a chessboard knight, but it doesn't let you select every space a knight would be able to move to. If you think of the movement as "2 directions, 1 direction" (like left left down, up up right, etc) the game often will give you only one choice for the second direction (the one for which you move only one space). This really hampers the skill - what would be a really useful escape mechanism instead risks you jumping into enemies, or trying to jump to a wall (wasting the turn) and getting yourself killed.

2) It'd be nice if you could cancel the skill targeting without tricking the game. If you hold right click to aim the jump and realize the game is being temperamental, you can continue holding the right mouse button and move around (jumping upon release) or click on an unpicked spot in the skill bar to cancel the jump.

3) The highlight for where you target the jump can be obscured by dungeon walls - it'd be nice if it displayed above terrain, like the sparkles indicating there's an item present.

My ideal would be to right click to use the skill, then have each space you could jump to highlighted along with a highlight on yourself - left click on the highlighted spaces to jump there or click on yourself to cancel.