Fallout 4 trailer

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Haldurson, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

2. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

That looks cool!

If only I can get a new system soon enough that I could run it shortly after it becomes available. It looks like a bit of fun just for the crafting which I have always been a big fan of in games. :cool:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Too bad they never delivered a single shred of detail about the system requirements. I watched the entire presentation waiting for only that and the release date.

Oh well, perhaps they will manage to decide by November.

*Edit* Sorry. I searched and apparently after I went to bed they leaked the details somewhere.
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=5013&game=Fallout 4

I rather doubt the GPU side of things is realistic if you are willing to turn off antialiasing, and even if that made it close you can still turn off vsync to make it fly.

I suspect many here doubt this. Have any of you played The Witcher 3? It works fine on my system that does not meet the minimum requirements. (It says it requires 6GB RAM, and I have 4GB.) Yet despite this I played it for twelve solid hours without a single crash or even the slightest stutter.

GPU makers sell GPUs by convincing game makers that antialiasing and such are needed. My seven year old Radeon 5850 is still more than enough for even modern games because I refuse to use the bullshit settings that modern games ship with.

And last time I looked, it would cost me $400 to get a GPU capable of doing what mine does, but let me explain that a bit. Disregard the marketing terms. A GPU is a GPU. So task it with some very parallel mathematics like calculating Bitcoins and see what the performance of it is. Now look for the GPU you have your eyes on and see what the hashrate is for the two. Most of the time newer GPUs are a trivial difference if any at all.

Nonetheless it is starting to get close to time to look for a replacement. But the price to get a comparable GPU to the one I already have is already twice what I paid for mine... So I will wait.

Back to your regularly scheduled boredom...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

According to the page you linked, I can run it at a 1920x1080 with a maximum of 38 fps -- good enough.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Turn down the antialiasing overdose and you will easily get 60+ without exception.

Haldurson likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I actually did the mathematics again and it turns out a $250 GPU like the Radeon R9 280 will manage 2048 streaming processors at 1Ghz for a total of 2,048,000 of whatever unit of measure that should be referred to as. My Radeon 5850 has 1440 streaming processors at 725 Mhz, so it is just over half the processing capacity of that GPU, (1,044,000) not to mention the 3GB ram the R9 280 has verses the 1GB my 5850 has.

So perhaps it is time for a starvation diet to get a new GPU...

Haldurson likes this.
  7. Hey, according to this page, if I upgrade my aging GTX560Ti to a GTX970, I should run the game on high in FullHD. Or at least medium-high. Cool.

Also, the crafting system will most probably make me end up in the exact situation I was in Skyrim: crank out high-quality custom gear (sniper laser?) and have a fully developed settlement (with a tangle of highrises and ridiculous traps?) before even getting through a quarter of the main plot. Let's just hope that Bethesda found their own vision of Fallout, because the third one was a hollow, soulless dummy.

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I really enjoyed Fallout 3 -- yes, it was not the same as 1 and 2 -- certainly it was thematically faithful, if not the same KIND of game. What I felt it did best was being incredibly immersive and gave modders a great platform to introduce new content and locations and customized gameplay. Let's face it -- top-down views simply are not immersive.

BTW, I had a whole lot of problems with bugs in 2 especially -- it's something that I often forget about because the game was fun enough that you could overlook the problems. Let's not forget that as good as they were, they weren't perfect either.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Am I getting this right they ditched skills altogether and now rely on perks only?

On one hand, it makes sense as Bethesda's vision of gameplay was very twitch-based, from shooting, through lockpicking to (in a way) hacking, but on the other, how will leveling look now? Pick a perk every level? Something along the lines of Skyrim's perk trees? Welp, all I know is that I'll be going Gun Nut, Science! and Hacker in the first place, with repair skills picked up as soon as possible.

OmniaNigrum and Haldurson like this.
  10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I hope not -- I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere, though. If you find out where you saw that, let me know.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

There has been speculation to that effect, but just because we do not see the images of that in the Pip-Boy screen, that does not mean skills are not in the game, nor that images cannot be added and improved.

12. I looked at the screens, and there's no mention of skills, only a prompt to press Y to display the perk chart when on the Stats screen in PipBoy. See here: the "STAT" panel has three sub-screens: "Status", "SPECIAL" and "Perks", and the "Perk chart" is most probably a detailed map of how perks relate to each other, just so you know before you pick and don't fumble for the manual.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You could not change skills in FO3 or FO:NV besides leveling up. The only things that used it were things that relied upon them in the first place, like how Small Guns in FO3 and Guns in Fallout NV had a % chance to hit in VATS dependent upon your skill with the weapon you were using.

We will know for certain in four months how it works. Until then there is no point to complaining about how it appears to work.

Haldurson likes this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Besides, if skills are removed, do you really think modders will leave it alone? If they removed skills, modders will add them back in a heartbeat.

Haldurson likes this.
  15. Who gives a rat's ass about skills? I don't see modders adding Gambling back in FNV or splitting Stealth back into Sneak and Pickpocket. That and from what I know, I'm assuming that skills now translate to some multi-level perks, for example Hacker replaces Science for the purposes of getting access to computers, a thing that was mostly based on player skills in F3 and FNV anyway. So instead of Science 25/50/75/100, you need Hacker 1/2/3/4 to hack things (and, in addition, build computer-related stuff out of scrap). Same shit in a different wrapper, really. Same goes for the old-style perks that had their requirements: Computer Whiz, the thing that allowed you to hack a terminal after getting locked out will probably have its requirements changed from Science 70 to Hacker 3, while still requiring IN 7 and level 18. The only problem with this solution is that I can't exactly figure out the advantage of having high Intelligence stat now. But we'll see in November what exactly is up with that system.

The other thing about gameplay and stat changes is the fact that now, critical hits seem to be triggered manually in VATS (you can see it in the Dogmeat gameplay video), limited through a bar that charges somehow.

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Critical hits were featured in the VATS system of the video, but that may just be a perk that increases the chance of that once per X. (X could be anything from a day, or a reload or per shot itself.) There is no evidence that critical hits can only happen from using that option in the VATS menu.

I remember when Fallout 3 first came out. I thought it would be awful since it was not isometric like Fallout 1 and 2. But it turned out to be my favorite game of all time.

Haldurson likes this.