A slew of suggestions.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Miner0, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Miner0

Miner0 Member

What do you all think about these suggestions?

1) At current, it seems very easy to anger Brax by doing right about anything in the shop. I mean things like unwittingly firing wands and fighting monsters with power-ups that cause area damage etc., although maybe it could be seen as a feature, part of the “you just have to try stuff to learn how things work” – paradigm that (as is even pointed out in the tutorial) belongs to the game philosophy and more generally to the whole roguelike genre. If you did want to make it safer maybe preventing monsters entering the shops would be an idea.

2) Currently you’re not allowed to perform a (most daring!) “Knightly leap” to jump over Brax standing at the shop exit. However, I think allowing it might give players an interesting new choice of ways to make away with stolen goods. The con would be letting Brax have a whack at you (since it’s his turn to move next) and the usual summoning of debt collectors.

3) How about actually making the diggles pee? I mean, what's all this about diggle pee I keep hearing about?

4) a) There were many times when I thought I missed an interesting log message and would have liked to scroll back, but that’s not currently possible is it? How about implementing an expandable or pop-up log that you can browse as well?
    b)I think the damage types (and amounts) from monster missiles and magical attacks should also be shown in the log, cause that’s right about the first in importance of all the things I ever wanted to check. It’s really difficult to pick up from just the short damage flashes that appear on the character.

5) Would it be easy enough to implement some tool or something to help you determine if there’s an obstacle in the line of fire between you and whatever monster you’re aiming to hit? Cause that’s often pretty obscure IMO.

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

1. Making shopkeeper's angry is a tradition straight from the mother of all games, Rogue and it's immediate children (Hack and Nethack). That said, there is a very easy way to keep the mobs out of the shop while you are perusing items in it -- pick something up without buying it. In the past, I've used that as a temporary respite from being chased, so that I have time to eat or drink. I've even 'borrowed' items from the shop to use and then replaced them (especially early in the game when I'm dirt poor and have crappy equipment). You can easily manipulate Brax to let one critter in at a time.
    3. If you really must have pee, should try another rogue-like, Brogue (http://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/)
    4. Totally agree and I've actually posted this previously. Judging from the recently leaked 1.07 screenshot, more stuff will be appearing in the text box, though I'm not sure if it will be scrollable.
    5. It's odd that you'd be able to see something but not have line of sight to shoot it. Some objects block line of sight and movement, some just block movement, and some block arrows, but not spells, and so on. I don't mind this being true, but I agree that it would be nice to know before you try to shoot something.

3. Miner0

Miner0 Member

@Haldurson

Wow that's nice Brax strategies! I should try those sometime.