Djinn Fizz on level 2

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Xevil, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Xevil

Xevil Member

So I just encountered a Djinn Fizz on level 2, I thought they only spawned deep in the dungeon, like level 8 or 9, wasn't a Chest of evil spawn, it was just a plain mob

2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, there are Djinns on level 3. I don't recall any other Djinns.
    But um, maybe there was a glitch or something, because that's pretty far out of depth for this kind of game.
    :)

3. Bushwhacker2k

Bushwhacker2k Member

I think it came with the patch, those things are wayyy more dangerous than the djinns I remember. It seems like anything that uses spells regularly is wayyyy more dangerous than other enemies. But yeah, I am seeing a lot of Djinn Fizzes these days.

I remember for a day or so many of my character got slaughtered on floor one because I kept running into named variants of enemies normally found on lvl 3.

4. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I've only encountered one monster from floor +3 on floor 1 before, and that was because it was a monster for a quest. IT takes a lot of effort to kill a pumpkinn on floor 1. Even on Elvish Easy.
    Oye, I hope they tone it down a notch, that's not exactly rather well designed balance.
    Out of depth is fine, but anything more than a few floors in a ten floor map needs to have a reduced chance.

5. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, Going Rogue is pretty brutal right now. I, too, was getting Floor 3 Named Uber-mobs of Uberness every time I had the gall to accept any of the 1st Floor Quests. I almost died 3 times on Floor One because Argthpachooie, the Lament of Cake ended up being a juiced-up Swarmy - on the first freaking Floor!

Being a low-level Eyebrow is a very dangerous profession these days...

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Oh, wait, now I remember, I fought a supercharged unique Thrusty, not a Pumpkinn! Doh!
    But it's still surprsing to fight one of those things on the first floor, especially on Elvish Easy.
    If anything, out of depth generation of monsters for quests should be extremely limited on Easy.
    Moderation on Dwarven, and super silly on Going Rogue. :)

As it stands, Deths and Enraged diggles are easy on floor 1 compared to some OOD monsters.

I thought a Swarmy was a thrusty. Whoops.

7. Bushwhacker2k

Bushwhacker2k Member

A swarmy on floor one? Jesus... I know I evaded death once by closing the door as soon as I saw what was on the other side on floor one.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Damn, I'm really bad today. I'm so sorry, everyone, I got a Thrusty and a Swarmy mixed up.
    Gah. I'm sorry. I'll edit my post.
    Today is a bad day to be David.

9. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

This kind of stuff actually makes Wand Lore quite the early game survival skill.

10. madmarten

madmarten Member

entered dungeon level 3, got instantly killed by a djinn fizz

11. 123stw

123stw Member

That's why I never open cursed chest or do any quest on early floors. Like seriously whatever junk you might get is so not worth the risk.

12. Marak

Marak Member

But playing Dredmor Roulette with OP Named mobs is half the fun!

k0rd likes this.
  13. Derakon

Derakon Member

Given how absurdly powerful weapons from Evil Chests can be, I always open them. Heck, even with mages and unarmed characters, if only to wince at what I'm not able to use effectively. And if nothing else, the summoned named mobs tend to be worth a few hundred experience. Or if they kill me, well, I didn't have much invested in that character anyway. :)

Early quests, though, I agree are generally not worth the bother. Wander around the entire floor searching for something and then returning it to the shrine, only to get a wooden sword with +1 enemy dodge reduction? I'll pass, thanks.

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

My experience is that, yes, quest stuff is most often crap on the early levels, but if all I have is crap, then it's worth the risk. And if I have decent stuff, then there is not much of a risk to begin with. So I always try to do all of the quests.

On the other hand, if I've totally explored a level and have not found the item/boss that I need, then I don't usually sweat it.

15. Derakon

Derakon Member

Oh, I'm happy to accept quests on the off-chance that I'll serendipitously complete them before finishing the level, but I'm certainly not going to go out of my way.

Mind, it's a lot better now that the shrine is marked on the map.

16. blob

blob Member

Got one djinn fizz to spawn as normal mob on floor 2 as well, immediatly ran downstairs.
    Game clearly got meaner with last patch...

17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

That's going to get fixed. Nvining posted earlier that it's something about enemies changing types upon saves and reloads. Like eels to lava eels, etc

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah, okay. That explains it.
    Well, I'm reminded of that programmer's axom. "There's 99 bugs in the code, remove one, recompile the code, there's 350 bugs in the code." :)
    Basically, no matter how much you try, you can't win. :)

19. Orion

Orion Member

I'm on floor 3 and so far I've encountered at least 7-8 Djinn Fizz (it's dwarvish moderation). The last 4 or so were grouped together and the rest were scattered across the dungeon. Of course I'm still alive so I suppose it's not too crazy.

20. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, I came across a pair of land-based Lava Eelies on floor 2 this last game. Fortunately, I had 2x Ring of Ash on hand and I was a smithy melee whore with dual Fine Steel, so I popped a Blungecap and meleed them down. Gotta wonder what kind of monster changes types from something that belongs on level 2 with no water into a freaking Lava Eely.