Spam Flood in Off-Topic > Discussion subforum

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Alephred, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

The first 5 or 6 pages or so have been flooded with what appears to be Korean spam.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Yep, I came here to mention the same thing. I wish there was some kind of enforcement agency that could deal with these annoyances, because it really is an act of vandalism.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I think I just took care of it all. Thing is, Daynab can't be awake at *all* hours of the day.

Maybe we can expand spam-cleaning permission to a few regulars in case things get bad.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

We're still trying to figure out what the solution to this would be, other than me not sleeping ;)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Samut

Samut Member

Require moderator approval for a user's first post.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Daynab

We've considered this but it is horrible for user retention and interaction. People never go back if you require them to wait like that. I wouldn't, either.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I don't think there's a practical way of stopping EVERY piece of spam from getting by. But maybe, one or more of the following could be done:
    1. Instead of requiring approval for a users FIRST post, how about having a mandatory time limit between a users first and second post. A 30 second wait might not be unreasonable, but might stop, or at least slow down a bot. That could be relaxed for people who have been members on the site for longer
    2. Maybe there could be some kind of automated spam detection to detect duplicate sequential postings by the same user.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Daynab

This would work but the truth is except that one wave which prompted this thread, it's pretty much always 1 spam post per user. Regular members can't see it but for every spam message that makes it to users there are like 30 that get caught in our spam filter.

OmniaNigrum likes this.