Wiki To-Do List and Wiki Discussion

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alephred, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Unannounced new fauna: Beetle.

Or as I like to call it, the Minature Giant Beetle.

beetle.jpg

Rahbek23 likes this.
  2. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

(Damn, that wasn't supposed to go in.)

Exile likes this.
  3. Alephred

Oo, I guess we'll hold off on entering it in the wiki, then. The behaviours and graphics I've observed seem fully functional, mind you.

4. Alephred

Silent watchers,
    With nonsensical names and aliases not of this Earth,
    Slip in one by one
    What do they want?
    Why are they here?

spam.jpg

5. Alephred

Beetles are fair game again, added to the big list. Also:

- beetle burrowing behaviour
    - Fog of war
    - nametags
    - reloading, for guns

6. Alephred

From the Steam Discussion forums:

BeanSlave

7. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

Ah, took me a few tries to get that understood correctly. That's actually a really neat idea, we just need to do it in a visually conistent style!

Also the wiki is now actually counting 309 articles instead of 216. I'm not actually sure what's changed... the "registrered users" also went from like 30 to 167k (which is think is gamepedia total - I'm not sure what that statistic is supposed to do good for us)

8. Alianin

Alianin Member

Alephred, I'd love to help your pie-in-the-sky dream along. I'll do some research and brainstorm some ideas for both the commodity list and tech tree. Are you thinking maybe a visual list of commodities?

9. Alephred

Yes, from what I'm hearing, very new players are having a slightly difficult time parsing the various recipes and building material requirements, which are all represented in-game by icons rather than text - a visual glossary would allow the wiki to show off all the cool icon art, as well as being a useful reference.

A visual tech tree would be nice, but given how intricate the production chains are, I'm not really sure how to make it both useful and elegant.

10. Samut

Samut Member

What about something like this (generated in Visio)?

Rev35.png

Visio's very good for showing lots of connections. I just wouldn't want to have to isolate all the different graphics out of the consolidated icon .PNG files being used.

Or would something like this still be helpful even if there were no icons?

Exile likes this.
  11. Alephred

Visio looks like a good solution; ideally, a flowchart would have both icons and labels, since only icons appear in-game. I've actually spent some time cropping individual icons out of the .ping icon sheets that come with the game (for use in wiki entires) - it's not too complex, and I actually have a custom crop box saved in my settings.

It wouldn't take me too long to snip all the .png icons into individual files, and stick them in a .zip file for everyone to use, but we should probably check and see if the Devs have something like that already, and are willing to share.

12. Samut

Samut Member

Sounds great.

Exile likes this.
  13. Alianin

Alianin Member

Since the new main page mockup includes a link to the latest revisions, stable and experimental, I created a revision page here with an infobox: http://clockworkempires.gamepedia.com/Revision_35 Since the wiki theme is pretty plain other than the background, I was trying to spruce it up a bit in the infobox. It's based on the community portal page. The colors can be tweaked however you want them. I wanted to get some community feedback pushing ahead with the rest of the revision pages. :)

14. Alianin

Alianin Member

Also, I haven't forgotten about your commodities list and tech tree, Alephred. I'm just waiting to get a hold of the game so I have a better understanding to formulate a plan.

15. Alephred

New [r36] stuff for the wiki, added to the Big List:

• fog of war
    • new costs for buildings
    • character events (geneology, suspicious goods, enthusiastic amateurs, etc.)
    • new criminal behaviours (slightly mad, tendency to start cults)
    • laudanum changes ("drink curative", Laudanum Fiend)
    • new effects of studying eldritch artifacts
    • additional note on firearms: all guns require reloading
    • beetles, and scintillating beetles
    • new pistol upgrade: revolver

16. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

I just made a page for Revision 36 on Alianins nice template. Anyway, I was thinking what to do with experimental versions. Would it makes sense to throw every experimental per revision in one page, so eg 35a-d was in one page, and then each major revision has it own page? To not clutter, especially when it comes to very small experimental updates like 35d.

So what does people think about that?

------------------------------------------

I also did a complete sweep to remove any mention of food and booze values outside of their respective pages. I might have missed one or two obviously, but should be very few left. The booze and food value articles should probably be deleted at some point, and the food article updated to reflect how nutrition works now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  17. chrise

chrise Member

How come there is no Trading involved in this game? maybe I haven't noticed it yet, but, without a trading post, how is a colony supposed to commerce with the homeland to generate income or exchange of one surplus item for another in high demand? was that not the purpose of colonies originally, to pillage and plunder the resources for a foreign power to exploit?

18. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

It's a planned feature and I can see several mentions of it in the game files. As it stands now I guess the devs have simply not gotten around to making a fully working trading feature.

19. chrise

chrise Member

Not sure if its been mentioned before or action-ed already,

But, how can you introduce criminals or convicts sent from the mainland to the game update, with such tendencies to essentially "re-offend" after they arrive at the colony or become involved with the occult, with no means of deterrent. Where is the Jail/watch-house/stockade/Police constables/sheriff. Without it/them, it means that the colony is some sort of Liberal-Fantasy-Land, where criminals are free to do as they please without being subverted or rehabilitated.

It would be nice to retain workers, instead of loosing half the workforce in the colony to an occult, then having to shoot them all and hope the mainland sends you more workers, to begin the cycle again. Too cumbersome, wheres the compassion?

Sydney Harbor had a place for convicts who came here and then subsequently re-offended, they were lashed until their backs bled and then chained to a rock, to be left in the sun for a week, on an island roughly the same size of a house, in shark infested waters. Not saying they should go that far, but surely they could put in something, rather than resorting to capital punishment/execution?

Thoughts?

20. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

I mean no offence, but this kind of discussion probably don't belong in this post about the wiki!

related; While it's definitely an interesting thought, I'm sure the devs eventually have something in mind. I personally think that somekind of milder punishment could be very interesting, though I have a hard time seeing in action, though I think it could have interesting tie-ins with the cult system.