Wiki To-Do List and Wiki Discussion

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alephred, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

We have a wiki, check it out:

So some of you may not know that Clockwork Empires has an official wiki with Gamepedia Curse:

http://clockworkempires.gamepedia.com/Clockwork_Empires_Wiki

If you haven't checked it out, I strongly encourage you guys to check it out now.

Why is this Alephred jerk always harping on about the Wiki?

After posting a bunch of stuff there, one of the Gamepedia staff decided to make me Wiki Guardian because I'd been reasonably active for a longish time. As such, I've taken it upon myself to make sure the wiki gets populated with good quality content, and becomes an attractive, useful tool for every player, potential or current. Some of you fellow forumites have been very good about submitting entries, among you: Rahbek23, TheSHMiller, Chickenbone99, Noratoxin, and several others who I can't acknowledge because they haven't done so from a Gamepedia account, but all are valuable contributors.

I intend to maintain this first post as an organized checklist of things that need doing, things that are seeing progress, and just as important, an acknowledgement of things that have been done. I'd like to leave the rest of the thread open to discussion relevant to the growth and maintenance of the wiki, particularly things that could benefit from community discussion, like visual style and notability. If you have specific items or areas where you feel the wiki could use some attention, discuss it here, and I'll stick it up on the list.

Why you should contribute:

You're all here in the official forums because Clockwork Empires has struck a chord with you, someplace. I'd all of you to see this an an opportunity to help make it as accessible as possible - look at each hole in the wiki as a specific opportunity to help. What's a modern game without a good wiki to accompany it? Dwarf Fortress would be nigh-impenetrable without the Dwarf Fortress Wiki. Examples of other wikis I consider excellent include the Endless Legend Wiki, the Don't Stave Wiki, and the Fallout Wiki. As always, if you want to contribute, but you don't want to edit the Wiki yourself, post it here, and some of our wiki-minded forumites can easily wiki-fy it and enter it for you.

Enough talk, here's the List of Doom:
    (Don't necessarily take this as Gospel, practically everything can use polish, and I'll be populating this list incrementally)

Very Sparse / Needs Attention / Just Introduced:

• any entry could potentially benefit from in-game screencaps
    • things like Contents boxes and Stat boxes on lengthy entries and fauna, respectively
    • Lore: Quag'garoth, The Queen, Empire
    • Getting Started / Strategy Guides: vital for easing the learning curve
    • Trees, ground clutter, environmental details
    • Biome and Landing Site discussion, flora and fauna
    • Game Mechanics: how do sleep, hunger, madness, terror, utility work? What about explore beacons, rally points, and flattening terrain? Fishman attack mechanics
    • Fishperson transformation!
    • Research
    • Dismantling buildings and modules
    • Military Supply resource
    • paintings and memories
    • non-Giant Beetles ("Beetles"), and burrowing behaviour, beetles, and scintillating beetles
    • fog of war
    • character events (geneology, suspicious goods, enthusiastic amateurs, etc.)
    • new criminal behaviours (slightly mad, tendency to start cults)
    • list of character skills and their significance
    • skill improvements over time
    • character appearance reflects highest skill
    • cult details: shrines are built when a cult has 3 or more members
    • medicinal benefits of Laudanum and Sulfur Tonic
    • fishguns no longer usable by humans
    • new bandit interactions: illicit trade, peaceful co-existence
    • the Refinery, old Metalworks, and Arsenal are now all obsolete; combined into a single workshop

Substantial Progress / Polish Needed:

• Mines, and Mineshaft Module MK I - descriptions, function, and icons
    • new Naturalist behaviours:
      • revealing rocks to be ores
      • uncovering strange artifacts
    • mysterious artifacts (especially screenshots): Canopic Jar, Idol of Quaggoroth, Fishy Idol
    • Monsters: Fishmen, Obeliskians, cultists
    • Commodities and Resources: a good start on things like minerals and finished products. maybe about 50% of existing ores and related things have stub entries, some have screencaps, some are categorized
    • Critters / Animals: most have stubby entries, could definitely use some entries about behaviour
    • many items have in-game quotes that should be added to their entries in the wiki
    • Modules: there are a ton of them, few are documented. Materials, usage, verbose entries, you name it.
    • Workshops: many undocumented, could use description of function
    • Vicar, including 'confession' and 'listen to sermon' jobs
    • textile workshop, spinning mule
    • damage bonus from military training (NCO bonus, soldier bonus)
    • day/night cycle
    • remove obsolete food values from entries that have them
    • firearm numeric values have been changed, also reloading has been introduced
    • remove 'food value' and 'booze value' from entries that still have them
    • new costs for buildings
    • laudanum and sulfur tonic changes ("drink curative", Laudanum Fiend)
    • new effects of studying eldritch artifacts
    • pistol upgrade: revolver, muskets upgrade to carbines
    • Icons: there are hundreds of in-game icons - we should screencap them and attach them to their wiki entries
    • Laboratories and Macroscopes

Very Good / Nearly Complete:
    • Food: nearly exhaustively documented, with cross-linking and Categories, could still use more screencaps. Many entries are functional, but terse. Words could use pretty-fying.
    • Traits: a large number have been documented, but most are a bit sparse, and could use a description of in-game effects
    • finally got the links on the front page to stop pointing to Double Fine!
    • Version documentation - info's mostly there, just need to format it for readability
    • new bandit behaviour tweaks
    • Starting Supplies - aesthetic changes
    • Bandits
    • flax
    • bolts of cloth, beds
    • Prestige Favours
    • bamboo, as a crop and source of lumber
    • front page facelift - more detail here

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Exile, Daynab, Turbo164 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Alephred

Resources:

Every icon:
    http://clockworkempires.gamepedia.com/Category:Icons

Infoxbox templates:
    http://clockworkempires.gamepedia.com/Category:Infobox_templates

A Note on Style:
    A document like the wiki needs a clean, consistent style. I'll use this section to outline some useful points. We've been capitalizing in-wiki links inconsistently. There a couple simple guidelines we should observe:

1. If it's a proper noun, it can be capitalized, i.e. "Settler starting supplies include a number of [Planks]", with a proper link to the object entry elsewhere. Practically speaking, any place a link is justified.
    2. When speaking of a thing in general, and when not linking to another entry, it should not be capitalized unnecessarily, e.g. when a prior link already exists in the article. Example: "Settlers start with a number of [Planks]. They may manufacture more wooden goods, including more planks, at a [Carpentry Workshop]."
    3. General terms like 'food' and 'weapons' do not typically require capitalization when used for general reference. Capitalization is only really appropriate when linking to their respective Category entries.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

Yay! My work has been awknowledged!

On a serious note; the frontpage is definitely in need of some attention as you say. It's cluttered, links all over the place with little structure and also quite messy in general.

I have been working on 2 things)

1) A version history, which is simply a page that collects all the public patch notes in one long page. Needs a bit of formatting, but otherwise pretty done.

2) A page about the initial resources you get as you start a colony. One thing I have yet to find out - what are they actually called? Initial Supplies? Starting Supplies? Expedition Supplies? This would mostly be a page detailing in which "range" you can ge resources, such as 0-3 jezail rifles etc.

I will also try to look into documenting the changes in relation to fishman personality that was in 32B.

Edit; How does one change titles on pages? I.e Lower Class house is with little H where the other two class houses are with a large H.

Ps: On excellent wikis; the minecraft one is really good.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

At one point, we (Gaslamp) actually cleaned up the front page of that. It was, however, rolled back by Gamepedia for reasons unknown. That said, you might still find our front page in the version history.

Exile, Rahbek23 and Daniel like this.
  5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I moved the thread to General and left a redirect from design suggestions.

Thanks a lot for doing this! and thanks to everyone who contributes to the wiki, we really appreciate it.

6. Alephred

Changing the title of an entry, even just to fix capitalization, requires you to use the 'Move' option. It's generally best practice to leave a redirect behind, until an Administrator can check out the old one and (at their discretion) delete it.

That said, aren't those workshops named Lower Class Bunkhouse?

*edit* It's just a Lower Class House. For some reason I've been calling it a Bunkhouse this whole time. Wiki entry capitalization fixed.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Exile likes this.
  7. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

That It might very well - can't check right now. Regardless probably good idea to get it fixed! :)

Exile likes this.
  8. Alephred

[r32c] New stuff relevant to the wiki:

New entries wanted:
    • bandits
    • rally point behaviour
    • vicar
    • snail
    Updates needed:
    • new lingonberry and saskatoonberry models (if you append screencaps of the new models, note them as 'updated model as of 11-17-2004' or something for historical interest)
    In particular, fetch me a screenshot of bandits, vicars, or snails, and a shiny sixpence shall be yours. Seriously though, if anyone gets a screenshot, kindly post them here so we can use it in the wiki. I don't actually have any sixpence to give.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

I have a screenshot of a bandit camp with a couple of bandits (there was actually 5, but 3 hid in FoW). Game crashed before I could find more! Wss getting ready to write that bandit article, but wanted to do a bit of journalistic research ;-)

Also updated version history with 32C - However is it just me or does the notes not say anything about a snail except for fixing it walking backwards? Removed the redundant title at the bottom too.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Exile likes this.
  10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention that in the new animals list; thanks!

Exile likes this.
  11. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

No problem - didn't even notice until Alephred wrote here!

12. Alephred

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Turbo164 likes this.
  13. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

What is the time unit in the files? I.e. 6000? The internal steps I guess, but how many per second? I've ever only played around with gamemaker and matlab, so not the largest programming knowlegde ;)
    Also job times are separated into baseline_time and time, and I'm not sure which one is used (or both maybe added together)

Also I guess weapon ranges etc is in some sort of engine unit of distance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  14. Marc HC

Marc HC Member

Will there be a ingame window that accesses the wiki page so we can search for whatever we need without having to minimize the game?

15. Alephred

I've added a short guideline on capitalization and in-wiki links to the end of the original post, riveting stuff, I know. Basically, not every link needs to he Fully Capitalized, generally just the first time it occurs in an article. And not everything needs to be inter-linked, as above, just the first time.

16. Alephred

WIki-relevant details from [r33a] patch notes:
    • cultist_power changes
    • damage bonus from military training
    • new bandit behaviour tweaks
    • flax
    • bolts of cloth, beds
    • textile worshop
    • barracks
    • day/night cycle
    • changes to food system

17. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

I have now done some stuff with:

*bandit behaviour

*Updated version history

*Mentioned the damage bonus from military training

* Added new buildings to buildings page

*Wrote textile workshop stub

*Wrote Bolt of Cloth stub. I realised I might have fucked up here. The job is called make "cloth bolt", and so is the tooltip in the workshop. However when lying on the ground it's called Bolt of Cloth which was what I just went with as I inspected my initial supplies

I'm not quite sure I understand food changes. Does this mean that all food is equal and as such why the heck would you build a kitchen then? Edit; I think I see now: uncooked food makes people unhappy. ok I guess.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  18. Alephred

It appears as 'Bolt of Cloth' in commodities.edb, we'll go with that unless new information comes up.

I would like to know if Food Values are still used, or have they been replaced entirely by happy / sad memories?

19. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Those food values won't be used; may experiment with an alternate system ...

Exile likes this.
  20. Alephred

Wiki-relevant stuff from [r33b] patch notes:

• corpse dump (bandits get dumped, but do Fishmen?)
    • fishy idol
    • screencap of new hematite resources
    • 'grow nothing' farm option

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014