Would anyone be interested in watching a livestream?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by bwg2021, Nov 16, 2014.

?

Would you watch?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. bwg2021

bwg2021 Member

Dungeons of dredmor is one of my favorite games and I would love to livestream it. Would anyone be interested in watching?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I typically do not watch live. But I do watch plenty of premade Let's Play videos. If I were awake and happened to find the stream, I would probably watch it, but I get sidetracked easily and would likely not be there the whole way through.

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I answered yes, but my actual answer would be 'maybe'. It would depend on when it would be happening and what else was going on at the time, my mood, etc. I also tend to prefer recordings that I can pause, walk away from, and don't feel obligated to watch all the way through (I rarely will watch an entire let's play video unless it's very short).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. bwg2021

bwg2021 Member

How would you guys feel about the Borderlands series?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I wouldn't watch that myself.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have tried watching the Borderlands series in LP format, but the problem that stopped me was the people were interested only in blabbing at all times and skipping all the quest dialog.

To myself, there are a few things that will instantly make me stop watching a LP.
    1. A video inside the video of the players face. No offense, but I would not watch your face without the game, so why would it be even remotely worthy of watching when it cuts off part of the game screen.
    2. Someone who is physically incapable of being at least mostly quiet. I do not mean that you must be mute. I simply mean that in the game dialog, you should try to let the watchers hear what is happening. And talking over a cut-scene will make me want to curse you for all eternity.
    3. Skipping dialog. If the game you are playing has a story, the odds are the people watching have not played it and want to know what it is. If you skip it, I will never watch you again.

These are just my little rules. They are flexible for games that have dialog as you play, especially if you need to cooperate with other players and communicate via voice.

Borderlands is a great series, but most who play it break two or even all three of my little rules. That is why I have never finished a LP of any of the series.

7. Jacq

Jacq Member

Omni, I think there are some who watch LPs for the game, and others who watch them for the player. I'm the latter, for sure, so all three of your points is things I like seeing in a Let's Play. :)

But then, I only watch LPs for games I've already played, like Binding of Isaac (Northern Lion's LPs of that series are great!) and Hearthstone. Trump's Hearthstone games would be so much less fun if you couldn't see his face, imo.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

For me, it's only LPs for games I've already played, or games that I'm considering playing. Generally speaking, I don't care for shooters (or most action games, in general), so I'd probably not enjoy watching an LP of a shooter. I'm also not interested in game stories, so there's that. I'm more interested in strategy and tactics (for games that I've played previously), or learning about what a game is like (for those that I haven't). Also, some people just do better LPs than others, particularly if they have a sense of humor I can relate to, have decent pacing and a semi-decent speaking voice, and so on.

As far as seeing the LPer's face, 90% of the time it probably would make no difference to me one way or the other (I'll say 90% because I'm sure you could find both positive and negative examples where it actually does make a difference).

Jacq and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. I am but I have had not anymore time lately.