Tooting my Own Horn: I Made Clockwork Empires Videos

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alephred, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Rather than further hijack the general-purpose video thread over here, I've rolled all my video-related stuff into its own thread.

An Amateur's Guide to Clockwork Empires Fundamentals

I made a 5-part video series which (I hope) covers the way most of the systems in Clockwork Empires function. Practically speaking, it consists largely of me talking over my own gameplay. The entire playlist is here.

Individual videos:

Part 1: General principles, basic features

Part 2: Soldiers, Frontier Justice, and stockpiles

Part 3: Fishman raids, combat, exploration

Part 4: Cult mechanics, pie, and booze

Part 5; Murder sprees, Eldritch Transformations, guns, and work crew organization

I appreciate all the kind words of appreciation I've received so far.

Exile, Alianin, Marak and 4 others like this.
  2. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

I believe that your last video highlights a quite serious colonist logic flaw - thry don't seem to care how far they have to go to retrieve a body or how dangerous it might be. You lost so many people trying to bury the cultist murderer.

Exile likes this.
  3. Alephred

I believe one of the cases of colonist wander-itis was initiated by a Fishman chasing a colonist to the edge of the beach, and a subsequent soldier chasing the Fishman. It wouldn't surprise me if the second case was caused by someone going to retrieve that corpse for burial.

If you managed to get through two hours of my voice, I salute you.

Exile likes this.
  4. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

Haha I certainly did. Worked well for short breaks when going about my daily routine :)

Exile likes this.
  5. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Informative and entertaining!

Your cultist vegetable discussion was cut a bit short by all of the Fun though :p

Exile likes this.
  6. Alephred

I've made another video, this one in the tropical jungle biome:

A series of flaws came to light in this one - a colonist fled from a Fishman in a straight line that took him right beside, and then completely past the colony. The pursuit continued until he hit the edge of the world, and was turned into Long Pork Steak.

Later, a wave of Fishmen hit the colony, and my guards were nowhere to be seen. Turns out they had walked all the way to the edge of the world to haul the steak I didn't want anyone eating back to the stockpile.

While carrying steaks, they were attacked by Fishmen. At present, colonists will never drop their cargo for any reason (except death), so my soldiers did not fight back. As a result, I had no military presence for the remainder of my game, until it froze.

And then my attempt to save the game crashed the client. I'm sort of glad it did, actually.

Exile and Alianin like this.
  7. Mr147

Mr147 Member

Quick question, Your video says that your playing Ver 32B, But on mine it still says Version 32, will the game update itself or do i have to re-download clockwork empires?

Exile likes this.
  8. Jacq

Jacq Member

You have to opt in to the experimental builds.

Right click the game in your Steam Library, go Properties, then the Beta tab. :)

Exile, Alianin and Turbo164 like this.
  9. Alephred

And you just leave the code box empty.

Exile and Turbo164 like this.
  10. Mr147

Mr147 Member

Thank you I will do that =3
    Alrighty thanks =3

Exile and Jacq like this.
  11. Maffia

Maffia Member

So when are the new patch vids due? :p

Exile likes this.
  12. Maffia

Maffia Member

BTW about 20 minutes long is about perfect in my opion.

Exile likes this.
  13. Alephred

It's on my to-do list! Soon!™

Exile likes this.
  14. Miganto

Miganto Member

I'm not trying to hijack here, I think it's good to have videos in the same place - I am currently uploading a video of the patch notes and my views on them now (needs to process), plus will continue doing a set of videos per patch as I have been in the past few months.

Playlist here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqgZ2ZD8Xx_9nmi8wzQVNyeVlBxGTeqDD
    Patch 33 is here -

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Exile and Alianin like this.
  15. Alephred

Awesome, anyone should feel free to announce / post videos here, more is good (I may even steal your idea for using the patch announcement illustration as a video title card)!

Exile likes this.
  16. Miganto

Miganto Member

I spend about 1/4 of the video (on and off) explaining why people should buy this game or support the amazing team behind it, so I think us working together to promote that is a good plan! :)

Exile and dbaumgart like this.
  17. Mr147

Mr147 Member

I would love to help promote too, if the game stops crashing on me :(

Exile likes this.
  18. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

If I might inquire: how are you awesome peeps making these videos? What software do you use to record and/or compose/edit the video? I've often considered joining this newfangled "video" thing and am left unsure where to start, what with all the options available....

Exile likes this.
  19. Miganto

Miganto Member

I recently upgraded and so use raw footage from FRAPS (low overheads on computer but huge diskspace required) which I then process through a tool called Handbrake which compresses it and makes it more user friendly. All very easy to use. I then upload to youtube with their uploader.

Before that (and for anything not in game) I use Mirillis Action. This has an advantage in that you can record AND encode at the same time using your graphics card if it's not a graphically intensive game which does save time however their codec isn't the best so the quality isn't as good for the size.

One thing to note - Mirillis Actions '.mp4' isn't one that can be read by Handbrake, so you aren't able to encode their large files if you go that route.

Exile, Alianin and Xyvik like this.
  20. Alephred

Personally, I use MSI Afterburner to capture raw footage, and then like Miganto, I run the gigantic file through Handbrake to encode it.

MSI Afterburner is free software primarily intended for monitoring and / or overclocking your GPU, but I use it mainly for its nice video capture capabilities.

I also have Adobe Premiere and WIndows Movie Maker for actual video editing (complicated and basic, respectively), but I don't actually edit my videos. ;)

*edit* If you're interested in capturing game footage, and you have a more recent NVidia card, another good way to do it is through NVidia Shadowplay, which is a feature of the 'GeForce Experience' software.

Exile, Alianin and Xyvik like this.