Double Fine to stop development on Spacebase DF-9.

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by zerg_x, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerg_x

zerg_x Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

At least they agreed to release the full Lua source. But I am not so certain that really fixes them abandoning it. I would be pretty far beyond fuming if I had bought it. (And they only said they "Will" release the source. They have not done it yet, and plan to wait to the next beta that they will mockingly call 1.0 to do so.)

3. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I bought Spacebase DF-9 in Early Access as well. I have over 100+ hours played, I saw it through most of the early versions, and I was quite active on the forums for a while. I'll say I'm disappointed, and not really angry. I've read some of the reactions of folks in the comments on gaming websites and such (which is generally along the lines of: "You have betrayed my trust, DoubleFIne. You and all things you publish, past and future, are dead to me!"), and that doesn't represent me.

I had hoped for more. Early on, it was all blue skies and smooth sailing. Everything was a possibility, and games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld were mentioned quite frequently as reference points. It's a bit disingenuous to call this a deliberate deception; I imagine, faced with waning public interest and internal studio pressures, plus a slow development process (SB DF-9 had only 2 or 3 full-timers, plus whatever personnel they could borrow from other projects), someone made the call to ship it and reallocate resources to one of the jillion other projects DoubleFIne has on the go.

Compared to what the Devs had initially put out for the direction of Things to Come, Spacebase is little more than (mostly) functional core mechanics, with very little in the way of bells and whistles. I'd consider it a proof-of-concept toy. For what it's worth, it could have been the basis of something much grander. I don't feel "ripped off" - I knew what I was getting into in Early Access, and I really liked communicating with the Devs, hunting down bugs, and seeing it grow over time. But I would certainly not consider paying full asking price for what is now looking like the final product.

*edit* Now that I think about it, though, a rapid series of patches and then a half-price sale literally a week before the abrupt 'end of development' announcement is .. well, it doesn't look good on them.

*edit* As for my thoughts re: Early Access and Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Games, I'll say GG's level and frequency of communication has been excellent; compared to Spacebase DF-9's update style, I have a much clearer idea about CE's pace, and scope, and what I can reasonably expect the finished project to be like.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Godwin

Godwin Member

Thanks for the warning, I was interested in this, happy I didn't buy it. My sympathies to those who have.
    I think it's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad they don't have a warning on the steam store page.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Yeah, I'm one of the unfortunates who bought it, but I think it may have been on sale at the time...either way, it really is a horrible state of affairs because the game is barely playable in its current state. I mean, it's playable, but after a dozen hours I've seen and done practically everything there is to do. The AI is nowhere near the state it needs to be for this kind of game.

...oh well, buyer beware, right?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Aegho

Aegho Member

Even more unfortunate perhaps is that Double Fine has been implicated in corruption, specifically because their newly released Hack 'n' Slash game was funded by Indiefund, and is an "Indiecade official selection", where the indiefund guys are connected. Talk about rigged. This ties into the Phil Fish/Polytron racketeering scandal, where indiefund guys funded Fez, and then were the judges that gave it awards at the IGF.

Also Tim Schafer has some out as a raving anti-gamer SJW, so there's that.

PS: Please stop using rock paper shotgun, at all. It's an anti-gamer propaganda site now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Okay, dude, I'm hearing talking points here repeated from a group that managed to get itself kicked off of 4chan. They have to really mess up to manage that.

If you have to be a "raving anti-gamer SJW" or "anti-gamer propaganda site" to say that "sending women death and rape threats is not okay", well ... okay? Really? Sign me up? But those aren't even intellectually honest statements, because being a gamer is not about criminally harassing women when they talk about anything the least bit critical, and being a gamer is not about harassing the men who support said women when death threats, rape threats, hacking attempts, etc. are being made.

If you've really got a problem with the acts of insider BS mentioned re. IGF etc, then do yourself a favour and detach your criticism of it from the vile baggage of that criminal harassment campaign masquerading as anti-corruption.

8. Aegho

Aegho Member

I hear you've been listening a little too much to propaganda. Harassment has been coming WAY more from the anti-GG camp, including death threats, tons of doxxing, physical items sent through mail(including an investigative journalist getting a syringe full of an unknown substance in the mail), and calling employers to get them fired(which happened to the starter of the #notyourshield hashtag).

http://gamergateharassment.tumblr.com/

This is gamergate central: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...erGate-Discussion-Debate-and-Resources?page=1

It's heavily against harassment from both sides. To say gamergate is about harassing women is intellectually dishonest bullshit of the highest order.

As for 4chan, they're not really relevant, and turns out moot has a SJW girlfriend, is friends with Anita Sarkeesian, went to her xoxo show, and changed his modstaff to a bunch of SJWs. Basically moot chose sides and killed 4chan.

Sidenote: FYAD(something awful)/Weird Twitter trolling group is also known to be in the fray, and a lot of the shit being attributed to GG harassment is coming from them.

At least go read http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/gamergate

Before you post propaganda.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

This is a massive thread derail. Did you have anything to say about Spacebase DF-9?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If you're going to complain about propaganda, don't post a tumblr explicitely dedicated to showing only one side and a page that may as well be encyclopediadramatica.
    Nearly everyone that have spoken against GG have gotten threats, and its own beginning was a harassment campaign that mixed in more reasonable people who didn't have a clue about it once journalism ethics came into play.

It's a culture war for people who feel the nebulous "SJWs" have taken over gaming and your own posts prove that, along with most of the tweets on the hashtags and discussions on their threads being about finally being able to stick it to those SJWs, and not, you know, ethics.

Ask yourself why pretty much every noteworthy name that came to support it have been conservatives, people who have had spats with people you'd consider SJWs, literal conspiracy theorists and then do some research.

And if you think Tim Schafer is a rabid SJW just because he agrees with some of what Anita Sarkeesian says? I may have bad news for you here.

PS: There can be a discussion about journalism, the IGF, etc and hopefully it ends up distancing itself from the giant pile of conspiracy bullshit that is the rest of it.

11. Aegho

Aegho Member

Haven't seen baumgart back up his "well the GG side are harassing people" claim at all, and neither did you. In fact we've been clamping down on anyone doing it, something the anti-gg side hasn't. There's only one side here that's shown itself to behave with any amount of reason and ethics. The antis don't come out against those on their side who engage in hate speech. People like Leigh Alexander, Ben Kuchera, Anthony Burch, etc. Just to name a few. Anyone on the GG side saying anything inappropriate gets called out on it immediately.

You know what a harassment campaign was? When 10 articles were posted in 48 hours saying gamers are dead, gamers don't have to be your audience, gamers are misogynistic shitbag nonpeople.

The SJW side declared it was a culture war, they made it a war. The GG side is a CONSUMER BACKLASH.

Yeah except that's not actually true, you need to do some research I think. There's even feminists who's come out in support, like CH Sommers(also nicknamed as Based Mom), several game devs, especially those who've been mistreated by the SJW camp since before this campaign, people like Devi Ever, a transwoman gamedev.

No I think he's a rabid SJW because he's been talking shit about gamers on twitter and insulting his fanbase.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Social Justice Warrior? Is that what is even being discussed? It sounds like a bunch of loudmouthed and opinionated people are being given this "title" by the other side of whatever the hell they are arguing about. I am totally out of the loop on this subject. I had to use a search engine even to learn what SJW *May* mean.

As for gamers and women, they are just subjects that are not worth fighting over. Women deserve respect and equality, and that may even mean that the men (And women, not to mention others of any classification they prefer) who hate them should shut up about whatever they are bitching about and leave it to more civilized people to argue about it. Gamers likewise deserve respect and equality. And anyone who thinks little of gamers can have some choice words I will not bother to type precisely because none of this is worth arguing about. There. My part is done. Have a nice day everyone, regardless of your position on any topics discussed here, and any neglected to be discussed.

13. Aegho

Aegho Member

If we're going to be really specific, they're a bunch of Cultural Marxist, Critical Theory, Sex Negative, Gender Feminist, Misandrists. But that's a bit of a mouthful.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

There are always loads of people in the world that will hate you regardless of who you are, what you do, or how you identify yourself. It is hard to ignore them, and sometimes impossible, but I have faith in you. Disregard them and they will effectively cease to exist.

If they try harder to offend you, try harder to ignore them. As a dedicated forum-troll, I can tell you nothing is more annoying than that. :D

Look back on this in a decade and you will have won. No questions asked. Victory is easy when you do nothing at all to achieve it.

15. Aegho

Aegho Member

The problem is that they gained the voice of most of the big gaming sites. Especially Kotaku, Gamasutra, Polygon, Rock paper shotgun, Ars Technica, Destructoid, etc.

They started a coordinated slander campaign against gamers, and it's been 6 weeks and I'm still FURIOUS.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Okay, here's how it is.

You've got a collection of talking points and links contrived specifically to give PR cover to a campaign of harassment against women, feminists, and other people with vaguely progressive opinions vaguely related to the games industry. It is not worth our effort to refute each point you make due to requiring an order of magnitude more effort from us than it requires from you to copypasta another line from the master list. And you're not honestly engaging anyway, so why bother? So we're not going to play that game and pretend there's a real conversation happening here.

You are not allowed to use our forum to host your talking points. We will not allow PR cover for criminal activities to be posted here, nor will we allow you to use our forum to make a bunch of random hateful statements based on insane extreme-right wing talking points (Cultural Marxism, really? You know that's connected to white supremacy right?).

We want to make games. We want to talk about games. You're ranting about how women, marxists, and feminists are destroying gaming by ... some crazy conspiracy theory? This is not the place. Start your own forum, do it there. This forum is a safe place for gamers, for women, for women who are gamers.

If you want to talk about the alleged shady business connections at Doublefine, that's a valid topic of conversation that we will host on this forum. If you continue with the crazy ranting, you're out.

stuck, TurboTodd, Viion and 3 others like this.
  17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If you're unironically using the term cultural marxism and misandry, there is nothing anyone reasonable can possibly discuss with you, and your own posts are pointing out what this whole thing is actually about.

Take your conspiracy theories to a pro-GG place of your choice, this is not one of them.

TurboTodd, Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Uh, I had basically the same thing to write here, but literally everybody else beat me to it.

TurboTodd, Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Conspiracy!

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  20. Aegho

Aegho Member

Ok deaf ears here.

The problem as noted, is that Indiefund has been both funding, and judging indiegames, both at the IGF and at Indiecade, specifically the chair of the awards jury, Kellee Santiago, in the case of Indiecade. It came out when someone leaked a bunch of files from Polytron.

I'll list a few sources:
    http://indiestatik.com/2013/06/13/i...e-fine-for-two-new-games-and-thats-a-problem/
    https://archive.today/jZ7KL

https://i.imgur.com/4kIDUNG.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bw9iQSGCQAALPd0.png

And after all that... Hack 'n' Slash, a Doublefine title, has an Indiecade official selection logo on their steam page...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.