Earliest Access Feedback and Reactions

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by convolutedthinker, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Cogmachine

Cogmachine Member

sorry what is CE?

2. Bamwich

Bamwich Member

CE = Clockwork Empires

3. Cogmachine

Cogmachine Member

how do i make sure that CE is running off my GPU?

4. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Cogmachine likes this.
  5. Ghin

Ghin Member

I feel like the changes to how crops grow are really harsh right now. I can't keep 4 full size cabbage fields going until harvest time. 4 cabbage fields is also nowhere near enough to feed the starting population. Then everyone eats the cabbage before it can be cooked. I can't even get to a point where I can see what the other crops do.

6. Andouce

Andouce Member

While it may seem that way, With all the issues discovered with farming like:

- Work crews not specifically doing farming and tending to crops while on farming mode only
    - Kitchen staff sometimes replacing food currently in ovens and thus destroying the food in process so u end up making less than what you actually set out on top of all the eating.
    - Too many jobs lead to farming not being done

And a few more, it kind of makes you start to wonder. Although these contribute the system could and will work better :D
    Again I would like to stress this point I made in an earlier post on forums. More of a tip and how to start the game and actually get food up and running: Should notice a difference in REV30E or 31 whatever comes next as I am sure the devs fixed quite a bit or made it work better at least.

"Food is actually not an issue. What you have to do is think logically. I usually keep my colony small around 20 members until I get my main essentials up and especially the farming. Early on you shouldn't and cannot really sustain a large colony. You have to gradually start accepting immigrants and ignore them early on as it will just drain your food resources, even with hunting on and foraging. It is crucial to get your farming operational."

"Well farming would work 100% effectively if the work crews actually did what you asked them to haha. Currently if you select certain work modes like only farming say for your kitchen crew - what i usually do among keep hauling and workshop on,, eventually you will find them doing something else like cutting down trees even though you have a dedicated crew to that already and vise versa.
    It isn't that bad though. People really need to learn for now though. Keep your job lists reasonable and also early on at least for first couple of days, make sure you ignore immigrations or at least when you reach the 20ish colonist mark. Simply because you will find even with hunting and all that you still won't be able to feed all your people unless the farming has been successfully harvested for a couple of times. And kitchen staff cook some meals - without them disappearing as I discovered with a dodo hehe."

So all in all if you end up with like 32 colonists early on and farms producing hardly anything you will soon find your people dying because there is more food consumption as to food production.

7. Ghin

Ghin Member

How exactly do you plan to 'get your farming operational' as you put it? It isn't physically possible for 20 people to work 4 fields. Maybe you should post a video of however it is you magically don't die before Day 10.

8. Andouce

Andouce Member

20 people working 4 fields obviously not. I have like 4-6 fields and they are worked by like 5 people :S when I say operational I mean get it up and running. U cannot as it stands start buildings loads of stuff creating loads of jobs and have a huge population and survive before like day 5.

It was just a suggestion to try and help is all. I manage it fine but I tend to usually test and try new strategies and workarounds for the current version with all the bugs that may be present.

9. Darekada

Darekada Member

I also had issues with food in my first dozen attempts, but I eventually figured it out.
    I now always accept the 3 colonists and I have around 10 extra stews by day 3. So it is very well possible not to starve. I would even accept 6 new colonists at a time if I could.
    1. not to have too many jobs queued (like Andouce said);
    2. put a food exclusive stockpile in front of the kitchen and have 2 cabbage farms near that stockpile; and
    3. Forage/Hunt some extra food at the beginning so kitchen can produce stew before raw food gets eaten.
    I'm sure it's gonna get easier when the devs get to making the job toggle work, and improve the soldiers task priority so they don't go to bed while everybody is dying around them.

Now I'm waiting for the next patch so I can crash in news ways, find new bugs, and not play long games since we can't upload the zipped console.txt here anyways when it crashes :confused:.

10. Ghin

Ghin Member

The only thing working for me is building the kitchen immediately at the start of the game. I'm finding wheat works as a crop because no one will eat the uncooked flour.

Also, I think it would be easier to grow things if the workers actually performed the farming steps after the initial planting. And if the plants took longer to spoil. And if the spoiled plants would actually clear off. And if it didn't take forever.

11. Alephred

I find that keeping the job queue short is a big help; farming jobs populate themselves on that list, so only Work Crews that are not already doing something will till the fields.

I very rarely have problems with food anymore; the very first thing I do in any playthrough is to mark two cabbage fields at maximum size, and then I just pace my development. When my kitchen (with 4 ovens) is completed, I queue up 50 stew, and let that Crew work at its own pace.

Also, 30E just dropped, let's see what's fixed / broken!

12. Ghin

Ghin Member

In v30E I seem to have more than enough food now. Maybe it's my imagination but the farming seems to be fixed. Also holy crap the construction jobs and the individual furniture jobs get assigned to one crew now and it is so much smoother.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

BTW, there are some major changes in 30E which should help when you have a large job queue.

14. Alephred

I noticed the amount of starting food has literally doubled - you used to start with 8 bread. Now you start with 8 bread and 8 sausages. It makes sense to me that new colonists would bring as much food with them as possible.

15. Ghin

Ghin Member

I noticed the crops don't decay anymore as well, or it takes much longer. That was most of the problem I was having (crops spoiling too fast)

16. Samut

Samut Member

30E is a drastic improvement, just by putting all of a building's modules into one job. Excellent.

17. Nicholas

18. Darekada

Darekada Member

Great job as already said. And I haven't crashed yet which is also good (although I wanted to send a crash report, kinda disappointed :p).

Great idea for form militia. But how do we release the overseer from special military service when the crisis is over?

19. Nicholas

Currently, you're can't. Once drafted, always drafted.

So there is an interesting mechanic here: we don't want you to draft everybody into the militia every time there's a fishman invasion, only to undraft them afterwards. There needs to be some sort of a cooldown or penalty. We are still figuring this one out. Game development!

20. Necroscourge

Necroscourge Member

Being a Militiaman is exactly that though Nicholas. I would propose it be a trait akin to Military Training that the character is an avid Militia willing to defend the colony from the fishy menace while toiling like any other good colonist. Perhaps have a ratio of Officers to Militia slots to avoid having too many of them

But go with yer gut, I wanna see how what yer doing pans out.