[List] In-Jokes, Third-Party References, etc.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by LonePaladin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

In this thread, we examine all of the things in DoD that reference third-party games, Internet memes, old '80s TV shows, and whatever else we can locate. Where applicable, links to the source material will be provided.

This first post will be edited to keep every confirmed item on the top.

A quick note to the developers: Please don't assume we want you to give away all of your references. Part of the fun here is figuring it out for ourselves. If there's one that really seems to be stumping everyone, you're welcome to provide hints or nudges.

Items
    • Wizard's Sleeves: First discussed in this thread, this item's name refers to a rather vulgar bit of slang. (Here is the Urban Dictionary entry; it's slightly NSFW, but far safer than a Google search.)

2. Derakon

Derakon Member

Do we need to list the ones that are obviously named references (c.f. "Do it for Crom!", "Not Drizzt", Horadric Lutefisk Cube, etc.)?

* The entire artifact system, particularly the names and decorations, is a send-up of Dwarf Fortress. Ditto anything that explicitly mentions dwarves (the IEDs, sewer brew, etc.).

SkyMuffin likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Well, the voice over that you sometimes get when you quit the game: "Please don't go. The Diggles need you" --- that's taken from "Alpha Centauri". When you quit that game, you get something similar: "Please don't go. The Drones need you." In fact, the voice in DoD is even a decent immitation of the voice from AC. (I've played MANY hours of Alpha Centauri -- it's one of my all-time favorite computer games, and recently repurchased it from GoG).

The Horadric Lutefisk Cube is based on the Horadric Cube from Diablo 2.

Of course Necronimiconomics (sp?) is from the Necronomicon, a book invented within the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Note that there have been numerous publications of books CALLED the Necronomicon since Lovecrafts death. One was written by Robert Bloch (the author of Psycho, and numerous other works of horror, fantasy, and science fiction). What happened was that so many people kept calling up book stores asking to purchase the Necronomicon because they believed it was real, that Bloch decided to actually publish one as a hoax. I think it was attributed to Aleister Crowley, but Bloch was the actual author of the version that was attributed to him (I met Bloch way back when I was in HS, and he told that story on a panel at an SF convention). There actually have since been several different versions of the book published by different authors. I keep encountering people who INSIST that the Necronomicon was written by Crowley, which in turn inspired Lovecraft's fictional version, but, no, that is just a popular myth.

I have to go to sleep now -- If I think of any others, I'll mention them tomorrow.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  4. Jack Burton

Jack Burton Member

Master of Arms - Suit Up (2. skill) is a reference to "How I met your mother" and It only makes you stronger (4. skill) is a quote from Friedrich Nietzsche (Also sprach Zarathustra / Thus Spoke Zarathustra)
    Unarmed Combat - Small Cricket Apprentice (1. skill) description reads "Where did you receive your training? Chechnya? Afghanistan?" that is a reference to the new "Thor" movie
    Vampirism - Sparkly (3. skill) and the Vampirism achievement "Team Edward" are references to "Twilight"
    The item "One-armed Leather Jacket" should be a reference to "Mad Max"
    The "Shield of Caketown" is clearly a reference to "300" (it also quotes itself when picking it up)

PS: I like this thread ;)

5. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Thanks. I'll dig up Wikipedia links and whatever other references I need, and edit the list. It'll have to be later this evening, though; we're going out soon to get an ultrasound done. (My wife's growing a person. Still weirds me out a little.)

6. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Nerve Staple is again a reference to Alpha Centauri; especially the part referring to the the economic sanctions. (Which the other factions would enforce if you nerve stapled your population.)

SkyMuffin likes this.
  7. Derakon

Derakon Member

The "Sleep, now" bit from Narcosomatic Induction is a reference to the movie Dark City.

Also, check the "Shout-Out" section of the Dredmor TVTropes page.

8. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Crap. They've done a lot of the work for us already. Should we continue with this, or just link to them?

9. Marak

Marak Member

Are the diminishing returns on Nerve Staple also part of the joke/reference then...?

10. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Yup.

Marak likes this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

FYI: If you are interested in Alpha Centauri (one of my favorite turn-based 4X games I've played): http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri
    Unfortunately, they don't currently have the Alien Crossfire expansion, but you can probably find it on E-bay if you want it.

IanExMachina likes this.
  12. Xevil

Xevil Member

3 pronged sword is possibly a reference to the dual pronged sword in Castle crashers

Magma Mace could be a reference to Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros from WoW

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Actually, this is more of a reference to Sepiroth from Final Fantasy 7. At least, that's what TotalBiscuit said during his WTF is Dungeons of Dredmor review.
    And for the most part, I agree with him.
    Also, look at how Sepiroth dresses. :)

14. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

I think we will have to be careful not to see shout outs where there aren't any/sufficient information to correctly identify them.

15. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

[​IMG]

'nuff said.

16. Derakon

Derakon Member

Dang kids these days think everything is an FF7 reference. What, "one-armed leather jacket" means "one-winged angel" now? :p

17. But, but, Sephiroth.

Interdimensional axe is from Quake.

Wands (nuff said)

18. Marak

Marak Member

The mold growing on walls in the Dungeon (usually on Floor 1) has a mouse-over tooltip stating that "the pungent stench of mildew emanates from the wet dungeon walls." (Yes, that's a link, to the classic Dead Alewives Dungeons and Dragons skit.)

Also, there is a certain room configuration (normally on Floor 1 again, for some reason) with a chalk wall scrawl that reads, "You are now entering Batty country." Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. For extra win, the game will, in fact, fill these rooms with Battys.

Berserking - especially the final "ability", Berserker Rage, depict The Eyebrowed One doing his best Rage Thread FFFFUUUUU- face.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  19. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Green Armor is from Doom, but that was probably obvious.

20. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

As is the rusty helmet, and the charcater's face animations. Well, the animations hail from id games in general, as games like Wolfenstein 3d had them too.

@Marak: I noticed the bat country reference before, but not the Rage face. ;)