Earliest Access Feedback and Reactions

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by convolutedthinker, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Hey fellow earliest access players this thread is for everyone to post their thoughts and reactions to Clockwork Empires earliest access, so what does everyone think of the game?

2. DrSleepless

DrSleepless Member

It's still downloading... so uh, nothing yet.

3. nbsp

nbsp Member

I ordered my colonists to build a lower-class house and they didn't feel like shooing off the auroch that stood right on the construction site away so now it's seemingly stuck in there for all eternity.

It's rough around the edges (as expected) and I'm still trying to figure out the basics but I like it so far.

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

nbsp: turn on hunting jobs from the Work Party menu on a work party. They will then, uh, deal with the aurochs.

Nexusdog likes this.
  5. City Builder

City Builder Member

To be totally honest, this is "earliest access" and as such the game is really really "earliest access" and I'm not really sure it's fair to share my reaction to the game when it's so early in development.

I will only say at this point, on my computer it runs like a tree sap on a Vermont freezing winter day.
    Fishpeople come far too early
    Still trying to figure out how the jobs, work crews actually works.

I'm going to go back to trying it some more, but it's kind of feeling like it may be best (for me anyway) to put this aside for a few months (at least until the "early access" on Steam and then come back and see how it's doing as it feels really really rough around the edges in this early of it's development cycle.

I was all jazzed about it, but after 30 minutes of playing it, not so much anymore, as expected still needs a lot of work. Which as I said, is to be expected when this is "earliest" access.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  6. Nicholas

It's definitely a wee bit slow on some machines. May I ask what your video card is, and what resolution you're running at?

7. City Builder

City Builder Member

It's an Nvidia GTX 465 at 1920x1080 (my monitors native resolution)

Also, first time playing game was really slow but everything showed up, but upon restarting the game and starting new game, the ground textures are all just black, no landscape on the ground. Almost feels as if the "fog of war" is not clearing off the ground where you start out the game.

8. Nicholas

Okay, filing a ticket to look into that. Can you send your config.xml from Documents\Gaslamp Games\Clockwork Empires to contact@gaslampgames.com please?

EDIT: now tagged in the tracker as bug OC-1602

9. City Builder

City Builder Member

config.xml sent.

Nicholas likes this.
  10. Moglus

Moglus Member

i also have to "black everything" bug, i can see a white outline around resources, and i can see my colonists "thought bubbles" but everything else is black

(and my computer is running slow as hell, and is equally almost overheating)

11. 1stGear

1stGear Member

The game desperately needs more automation/initiative on the part of the AI. Its really annoying having to manually order them to forage every last bit of food or manually click through to have them cut logs into planks. This may be hidden somewhere in the job system but I haven't gone rooting through that yet.

Let us go to the location of an alert with a left-click on the alert icon (right-click dismisses). Easier to watch a menacing fishman pummel my colonists to death if I know where they are!

In general, needs more tooltips to explain the purpose of icons/buttons.

Its not clear why I can't build on some terrain, despite the terrain visually looking clear. I'm not certain if this is a bug or a intended design feature but if its the latter, its forcing me to sprawl my colony out and make uninteresting building design choices.

12. Nicholas

What video card and CPU? I know that the black everything with white outlines shows up on some Intel machines. If you can also send your config.xml over that would also be good. Thanks!

13. Moglus

Moglus Member

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU 2.10GHz

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 & NVIDIA GeForce 410M (not sure which one the game tries to run on)

config.xml sent

14. City Builder

City Builder Member

Oh and my CPU is an AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz

15. Moglus

Moglus Member

okay i told my game to specifically use the Nvidia GPU, and now i can see tress, resources, and colonists, but the ground is still black :I

16. DrSleepless

DrSleepless Member

Ok, finally played a bit. Seems to run fine on my machine - Win 7 64bit, i-7, 4GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 7400M. It's fairly enjoyable for being early stages. Wish I could pause the game though. Fish people do show up extremely early - within the first minutes. Also, I need to figure out how to hunt as starvation is a problem for me.

17. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Check out this quickstart guide: https://community.gaslampgames.com/...a-quickstart-starvation-avoidance-guide.8474/ ; it's got some "not starving" plus some "how to pause" so hopefully should prove helpful.

Nexusdog and DrSleepless like this.
  18. Micah J Best

Micah J Best Member

You can pause with the space bar. Documentation incoming.

Nexusdog and DrSleepless like this.
  19. Nicholas

Still, this is an improvement! You are also filed under OC-1602.

20. Unforked

Unforked Member

I also have the black terrain issue. It was fine on the first play, but every restart has the problem.

Intel core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz GeForce GTX 285