Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Oh gods I would actually buy that. Queueing is fun(tm)!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

I followed the development of spore for over two years and it only changed to what it has become later. It wanted to be an evolution game with actual gameplay and more realistic grafics and mechanics. Then it got tuned down to be more family friendly and to appel a broader range of custoumers (read: kids). In fact earlier builds looked better than the comic grafic we got at the end (they had better style, though that´s highly subjective I guess). In the end Spore was a good tech-demo, a nice gimmick, somewhat entertaining (played it for about 12 hours) and a social experiment (on how many dicks the community would create). But it was, at best, a medicore "game".

But i agree that we also wanted it to be more, maybe too much. What I don´t get: Spore created an realy interesting technology. With modern PC and development methods you could create a really good game with it. But all that´s been made out of the tech is Darkspore, and we all know how well that went. Imagine instead a game like The last guardian with procedual creatures like spore with the animation technology from natural motion. How epic would that be?

/offtopic rambling

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

I hope it gets funded and they actually have to make it, that would be hilarious.

The main thing that disappointed me about Spore was there was a whole hype-machine about how you would be able to evolve either on land or in the ocean. The very first thing I did when the creature-stage started was turn around and try to go back in, and then it broke my heart. :(

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

As predicted, this didn't hit it's funding and they've cancelled it in advance. But they did get a publisher so it'll still be coming out!

Another project I backed a couple of years ago, Forsaken Fortress, has just announced bankruptcy and that they may just release the source code and start something new. Good on em for being honest I suppose.

Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yup it seems Flying Hamster II devs have partnered with FDG Entertainment and they'll be releasing it on steam, with other ports coming later. I'm happy for them :)
    And me, since I backed it :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

8. TJSlipperman

TJSlipperman Member

I would LOVE to get this game once it comes out. It appears to have a ton of potential. The sad part is having to wait at least a year to be able to play it (and that's just the early beta access; its official release is in 2016!)

It looks like it might be able to reach its Kickstarter goal, too. The game has earned $60k towards its $80k goal, and still has two more weeks on Kickstarter.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Who loves stomping a city as a Monster with manifold abilities? Who loves being a Mad Scientist? Who loves building a secret base to enhance aforesaid Monster?

I like two out of the three (Not too fussed about the Mad Scientist part :p), so this KS pitch for a game is interesting to me: Kaiju-a-Gogo. Details on the secret base building are scarce atm, but the idea of needing to defend it against the militaries of the world while your Kaiju is beating down Neo Seattle adds a layer of complexity. And it is by Kerberos Productions, of SotS: The Pit fame, so the project will have superlative post-launch support.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Yeah, these guys have always struck me as being good-at-heart, so I've opted for the Early Bird. Plus, um, come on - that redheaded scientist would be perfect for my avatar.

I mean I do have my issues with these guys - The Pit is a nightmare to patch if you have it anywhere but Steam, and Ground Pounders got uninstalled after I had two or three 3GB patches over the course of about a week (I was going to reinstall it, but they've said it gets a big update this weekend) - but they do have heart, so I'll give them that. Plus green alien lizard lady.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. I actually forgot to watch the pitch video! :oops: (Was too busy reading details)

The first part is essentially a toon initiation to the game setting. Pretty well done, no?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It reminds me (in a good way) of this old underrated board game I loved to play "The Creature that Ate Sheboygan". It was flawed in that there were certain creature designs that could win with easy, but it was still fun as hell spreading chaos and destruction across a city map.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1783/the-creature-that-ate-sheboygan

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

And the art style carries over into the game. The redhead is called Doctor Belladonna.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

FYI: "Dungeonmans", a kickstarted roguelike that I've talked about before and that I've been in the Alpha (and 'Balpha' -- don't ask) for is being released on Steam Early Access tomorrow: http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120/

According to the dev, he plans for this early access period to last about 3 months, so it IS relatively close to release, as early access games go. I don't see a price listing on the Steam page yet, so I have no idea what it will be. It's an interesting enough take on a modern graphical roguelike, that I can easily recommend it. The game has an overworld with multiple dungeons, and villages. At least in the latest version that has gone out to alpha testers, crafting has not been implemented, but there seems to be a hint that there will be crafting.

The game has permadeath, but there are certain things that survive when you die. When you generate a new academy, you generate a new world. Any changes to your academy stay from game to game. Some of those changes can give you some bonus stat points with each new character, some standard items will be immediately identifiable on a subsequent run, and you can collect souvenirs for the Academy's museum (so far as I know, this is only cosmetic). Also, if you die, you can leave a corpse in a dungeon, so your next character, if he finds that corpse, can get some bonus exp.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yup looking forward to that :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. I swear I posted earlier about Dungeon[personhood] in response to Haldurson, but it seems to have vanished into the interwebs.

Anywho, yes, I'm interested in it as well. Potentially even enough to overcome the awful title.

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I don't know if the title is awful or not, simply because I don't understand the title lol. If I understood it I might actually agree with you lol. It's one of those things that I'm almost embarassed to ask about. I'm sure it means something to the dev who came up with it. At least I hope it means something to the dev who came up with it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's a play on the popular mocking titles of certain genres, like "shootmans" for FPS games, I think

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I thought they were called Shoot The Coloured Person games?

N.B. That isn't there to offend people, more a comment on the past generation or so of FPS titles.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I haven't heard of either.

BTW, after reading a book or two where I didn't understand some words, and they weren't in any standard dictionary, I posted a comment on the Amazon Kindle forums suggesting that they start including links to the Urban Dictionary (since they had hooks into foreign language dictionaries). And one of the responses was that I needed to hang out more in mall food courts lol. I assume that's a teen thing lol (hey, it's been too long since I was a teenager, and if it was a thing when I was a teen, I was probably too much of a nerd to know about it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.