Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Godwin

Godwin Member

That one is indeed rather good looking.. 10 days left. Put it on reminder :)

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

3. Godwin

Godwin Member

Heh nice coincidence, just came across this today indeed, looks interesting :)

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. Ghostwoods

Ghostwoods Member

The original Chaos was insanely good fun. Since then, Gollop's had the extra experience of making X-COM and a bunch of other stuff, but it's clear he still remembers what made the old Spectrum game so awesome. So I'm confident that Chaos Reborn is going to be pretty damned awesome. Just 5 days to go on the KS!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

The Red Solstice is worth backing. I played it at Rezzed last year and have been following it since. It's a lot like Alien Swarm (if any of you played that) and looks to be a good multiplayer game once it's finally out!

Honestly, there's so many good games on Kickstarter at the moment. I've also thrown money at Prisonscape, which is apparently nothing like The Escapists or Prison Architect, and I'm considering backing JetGetters, which seems like the flying levels of Sonic Racing, with Just Cause thrown in for awesome.

What's everyone else been ensnared by lately?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Aegho

Aegho Member

TJSlipperman and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Godwin

Godwin Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

It's cute, but I'd be worried about them actually hitting their goal. 150k is a lot...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Godwin

Godwin Member

Definitely.
    But why be worried? If they don't meet the goal you won't get charged for the pledge. I mean, there's zero reason of worry for them to reach it to hold back your pledge. In fact, it's quite the opposite ^^

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

I was thinking, "Don't get your hopes up for playing it any time soon, they may have to find alternative funding"

OmniaNigrum and Godwin like this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've supported maybe 3 or so games that never made their funding goals and it is disappointing. One of them actually went on to try to develop the game anyway (I can't recall which one that was though -- brain damage lol). On the other hand, what's more disappointing is when a game DOES meet their funding goals, only it turns out that the game isn't quite what you thought it would be, and/or you start to question a month or three later why in the hell did you ever decide to support it.

BTW, I did support a project that I KNEW was not going to meet it's funding goals (not a game-related project) because it was more of a symbolic gesture.

Aegho and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. Godwin

Godwin Member

Ah :) yes, indeed ^^

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Aegho and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Wow. I have to buy this now. :D

*Edit* And I did. Now I am broke again. Oh well. Still it seems a good game concept at the very least.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Haldurson likes this.
  15. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

A game I mentioned a while ago, and supported now has an alpha: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game

I started running through the tutorial, and got up to the part where you craft an item and equip it on a hero... and that's where everything fell apart. Weapons were disappearing, I was dragging phantom shields that didn't actually exist, I couldn't see any stats on the items, to tell which of them was what I actually had crafted, etc. I gave up at that point. I'm waiting on a patch now. I'm not passing any judgement on the game on the basis of an alpha bug, but I just don't want to deal with it for now.

All in all, I will say that it's an odd fish, but certainly, it's inherited a lot from MoM (like the different planes of existence, and shifting where and how your mana is invested).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Old post, I know. But they have released the first alpha version on Steam now. I am not too impressed so far, but it is very early.

18. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Actually, I really believe that spore was exactly what it wanted to be. And that was the problem. Too many people read into the description their own hopes and desires rather than actually reading the game description. But unfortunately, the game wasn't much more than what Maxim stated it was. The only thing that it was that exceeded its stated specs was the creature creator.

This does have some similarities to Spore, but the emphasis is different. I'm not exactly convinced that it will be 'better', just different. For me, the best part of spore was its second chapter, where you have to either befriend or defeat the other creatures in order to evolve, and the incorporation of creations from all the other players really made it fun. That was the core game, as far as I'm concerned, and unfortunately, it was far too brief.

None of the game had much depth, other than the whole evolution piece, but that's what happens when you try to do everything in a single game and appeal to mainstream gamers. It wasn't anything more than what it strove to be. In many ways, it was a seriously amazing technical achievement. Unfortunately, that's what it mostly will be remembered for, and not as an amazingly deep game. But it never strove to be that deep a game anyway.

Imho, the game doesn't get as much respect as it deserves -- again, I don't mean that it's a great game, only that it was amazing for what it achieved, even if it wasn't all that fun to play for more than a few days or weeks. If only the social aspects had worked a lot better...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.