Age of Wonders 3

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Godwin

Godwin Member

Hi all!

I have been part of this community for quite a while now, way back when Dredmor had just launched, without any expansion. Then I got into a long roleplay here on the forums which was great fun.

Then I got a job, at a games studio: doing what I really really liked in free time, but now for a real game studio, for my future.

Needless to say, this was all really great, and I told people here. But that was as far as I could go, because of the NDA.

Now though, I can finally tell you all that together with the Triumph Studios team I have been one of the people working at Age of Wonders 3, which is going to be a truly great game if I can help it :D

We have set up a website (http://www.ageofwonders.com/aow3live/) and I'm proud to present our trailer below:

Many thanks to Gaslamp Games for allowing me to put this here. I can honestly say it would just feel wrong not being able to tell you all what's keeping me so busy and away from Dredmor and these forums!
    Posting about all kinds of games but not about the one I'm most psyched about and involved in would really have been hard!

So yeah, hope you enjoy it, when it's out ^^

2. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Hey, congrats! :D
    What is it you do on the game?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Awesome. Now I can be a fanboy at you!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Sweet, glad to hear it Godwin!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Godwin

Godwin Member

Thanks MOOMANiBE!
    I am a designer. It's pretty broadly defined since we're not a big studio, so that makes it even better (I am not stuck on one little bit of the game or anything, but instead can have input on and write designs for, well, everything).

And dbaumgart, you spoil me sir :p.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Colour me interested based on the name alone.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Createx

Createx Member

The city in the beginning kind of reminds me of Minas Tirith :)
    Looks awesome, and I was expecting a Necromancer to pop out at some point, it would have been fitting somehow :D
    I especially like the Dreadnought guy with the tea. Commanding huge steampowered bulldozers like a sir.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. The trailer looks great, and I like the concept. I'd love to see more gameplay as it develops and check it out when it's released.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Godwin

Godwin Member

Well, here's gameplay :) Part of a demo we're giving at GDC.

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Looks really cool! I'm looking forward to it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. I agree- it looks fantastic! And whoever put the beverage mug/technocrat move in the trailer- genius.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Godwin

Godwin Member

Wrote my first dev journal, click the link if you're interested :)

(the language error in the wyvern picture isn't mine >_<)

13. Godwin

Godwin Member

Another dev journal, this time about something I haven't actively worked on yet (the unit interface), but I will work on related stuff tomorrow :)

Also check out the other dev journals if you're interested, there's quite a lot of them now!

Next big thing will be Gamescom where I'll be part of the team that demonstrates the game to press and business contacts... and hopefully party with other game developers (and I'll go to the Star Citizen party as well ^^): busy weeks ahead!

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Came into a voucher thing today and on realising GOG accepted it...
    [​IMG]

Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  15. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yup it's open for pre-order now. Steam and GoG. Apart from that we have deals with publishers to get physical copies in some parts of the world.
    31st of march is the release date :)
    I sincerely hope you'll love the game Loerwyn :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

We shall see. I like how the designs are more sober than most games of that kind (which is not hard), especially of the women.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Looking forward to this! Between Warlock 2 (if paradox doesn't go under) and AoW III my strat gaming itch should be very satiated.

Fingers crossed for a great release!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Godwin

Godwin Member

This is Marbozir showing off the Adventure mode gameplay. With our gameflow setup you can really tweak the experience to your liking.
    This specific preset mode I put in the game because I really love roguelikes, like people here probably know ^^, and it sort of approaches the roguelike experience a bit.

You start with a small but pretty strong army (can be tweaked down for harder challenge), no cities and no settler. This means you have to find treasure and conquer sites and defeat monsters to pay for your upkeep, find a dwelling (there are many dwellings and few cities on the map), conquer it, and then you can start the more regular gameplay.

You might turn cities off completely and have only dwellings on the map (dwellings are locations where you can build unique units like giants, dragons, undead and fairies (stronger than you'd expect ^^)). Then you won't have any normal units, no access to city founding/builders etc. Should be interesting :)

I think when I'll play I'll tweak down the income a bit as well as Marbozir here still has a positive income. And I like a good challenge :)

Daynab and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. It's out!

I will need to scour the Tome of Wonders a bit before I start playing, but I would like to note the sheer asshattery of telling me I need to create an account with Triumph to play the damn game.

I bought it on steam. I clearly did not pirate it. WHY should I need to create a triumph account for anything? Absent a big pop-out I missed extolling the virtues of creating a Triumph account, this is shades of Uplay to me.

(I hate creating accounts/registering things.)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Triumph have not done anything that hasn't been done for the past ten or so years.

Edit: According to GOG users, the account thing is only for MP. You don't need it to access any SP/DLC content

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.