Music of choice of Dredmor players

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Cain Redfield, Jul 3, 2012.

?

What Genres do you tend to listen to the most

1. Classic Rock

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Indie Rock

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Mainstream Pop

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Country

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Punk Rock

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. Heavy Metal

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  7. EDM (Electronic Dance Music, Dubstep, House, Trance)

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. Funk

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  10. Jazz

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That reminded me of this:

And because the Kinks are just so awesome...

2. Aegho

Aegho Member

A few from the mashup masters of youtube.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Haldurson and Kazeto like this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Haldurson likes this.
  5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

6. jadkni

jadkni Member

At this point the music I'm actually talking about and the genres I chose on the poll ages ago are completely divorced from each other.

Múm is a band that I've listened to for awhile but is always kind of at the back of my mind, that weird experimental electronic group that makes the low-key atmospheric songs with the incredibly creepy music videos that I often forget the name of and have to go back and look up again every six months or so.

Very much worth a listen though, unless any of those things aren't your bag - in which case you can always play the music video on mute and put Slayer on in the background, and enjoy them on a completely different level. :p

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

FYI: This is local news for me, but it's applicable to my above post: there's been a proposal to rename the replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge after Pete Seeger. We'll see if that happens (I think it's a great idea). The current Tappan Zee bridge, btw, connects New York State's Rockland County with Westchester County across the Hudson River. Seeger had long been active in various causes, environmental and otherwise, in and around the Hudson River Valley. So I think it's a fitting tribute.

http://westfaironline.com/60512/a-fitting-memorial-for-a-hudson-river-legend-pete-seeger-1919-2014/

/edit btw, can't get "Guantanamera" out of my head for the last day or so. As far as having songs stuck in your head, that's not bad.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Kazeto likes this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

And now for something completely different...

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

As many of you probably know, February 9th was the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles first performance on The Ed Sullivan Show, which is considered the beginning of the 'British Invasion'. Even though I listen to a whole lot of Beatles music, I've hesitated to post videos because 'everyone knows the Beatles'. (And if you don't, you should).

Anyway, CBS aired a 2 1/2 hour live special, featuring various artists performing Beatles songs, and the last half hour of the show featured performances by Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, both solo and together. I finally was able to finish watching it this evening and I thought it was absolutely great. I sang along with most of the songs and really enjoyed MOST of the performances (a few could be relegated to the category of 'WTF were they thinking!!!???', but fortunately, very few).

Anyway, due to popular demand, CBS is airing the show again this Wednesday evening at 8:30 PM, so if you missed it, you have another chance to see it tomorrow evening.

Anyway, I thought I'd finally post some Beatles songs that have personal meaning for me. These aren't necessarily my favorite songs, or their greatest songs, but they are songs that elicit strong memories for me.

Back in elementary school, probably when I was in the fifth grade or so, I was in the school chorus, and they had us sing this song. Although I didn't think of it at the time, my parents probably did, and I certainly think of this question whenever I remember that moment 'who's the idiot who thought this was a good song for fifth graders?'

My dad passed away back in 2005, but one of my fonder memories of him was his accompanying me and my fellow cub scouts to Mystic Seaport. I remember waiting in line there when this song came on the radio. I remember the announcer saying that it was a brand new song. So I always associate this song with my dad because of that memory:

This is a song that I will forever associate with watching movies with friends in college. Every Friday and Saturday night, my University would show movies for very little money. Anyway, the group that ran the Friday night films would always play a portion of The White Album before the films' start, and usually it was timed so that this was either the last or second to last song before the movie's start. And btw, if you showed up for the late show, you had to be prepared for a contact high, as the whole theater would smell of pot lol. Honestly, I'd never smoked pot, but... lol.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Kazeto likes this.
  11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

What sort of drugs do you have to be addicted to in order to even find that music? Still, it is very funny looking.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Um... I'm a Coffee Stain Studios fan and it's on their YouTube channel?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

15. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

So, it recently came to my attention that one of my wife's favorite songs -- Asereje, or 'the ketchup song' by Las Ketchup, has it's meaningless chorus based directly on the classic rap, Rapper's Delight. Then, when I was looking up Rapper's Delight in order to double-check on that, I found that Jimmy Fallon had recently cut together the single best version of Rapper's Delight in human history. So first, listen to The Ketchup Song's chorus:

And then double-check that against the opening of Rapper's Delight:

Amazing, eh?

Aegho and Kazeto like this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Kazeto likes this.
  17. Aegho

Aegho Member

Kazeto likes this.
  18. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Member

I listen mostly to heavy stuff like thrash metal (Sepultura, Sodom, Violator), crossover thrash (Suicidal Tendencies, Cro-Mags, D.R.I.), death metal (Death, Atheist, Carcass) and sludge/stoner occasionally. Also love folk, jazz, chiptune and classic music (mostly Bach and venetian school).

Right now I'm listening to Electric Wizard, stoner metal at its finest. EW songs are like herds of skeletal mammoths wading through the burning peatlands.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Not posted this in a while.

20. jadkni

jadkni Member

I found another musical obsession of the week.