[List] In-Jokes, Third-Party References, etc.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by LonePaladin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Reminds me of a Lister quote. "Hol, all his mates were French."

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The Magic Training capstone ability, "Master of Magic" was also the name of an old strategy game.

OmniaNigrum, Kazeto and dbaumgart like this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Nice one, Bohandas. Even Sir Nicholas liked your post for that, which is quite an achievement.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. And an even older RPG back on the Commodore 64.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Master of Magic is one of my all-time favorite 4X strategy games -- you can still get it from GOG.COM. It's certainly a flawed game, but it has a lot of richness to it, with all of the spells and heroes and different kinds of units. It's one of those games that made a huge mark for itself in gaming history such that now, so many new fantasy 4X games try to compare themselves to it.

I still play the game on and off -- it actually holds up pretty well. Don't get me wrong, it has bugs, and it can be severely unbalanced depending on your choices or just the luck of getting a bad (or good starting location. The AI is nothing special, and diplomacy is kind of rote. Yet even today, it's still a great game. How strange is that?

OmniaNigrum, Kazeto and Bohandas like this.
  6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I think the lutefisk is another Dwarf Fortress reference. Toady One has mentioned lutefisk several times in his blog (on 12/24/2009, 12/22/2011, and 12/21/2013)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it is, they definitely knew about it independently and have tried it I'm pretty sure. I have also never seen lutefisk in the game proper.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

That's probably because lutefisk is an actual real life thing?

9. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Yes, but not a real-life thing that is very popular or widespread, or that is at all likely to come up in the average person's conversations or life.

10. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

One that it annoys me nobody ever figured out is the Practical Handbook of Bee Culture. The joke *in* the book is, of course, from The Wicker Man. However, the book itself is ALSO a reference to something else.

Exile and OmniaNigrum like this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

All I remember from that movie was Christopher Lee and the guy from "The Equalizer" TV series. And I remember thinking it was a very strange, very '60s sort of low-budget film. Don't remember any reference to bees or a bee book, but it's been many years since I saw it.

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Oh, for crying out loud, has nobody read Sherlock Holmes these days?

Exile and OmniaNigrum like this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Many of us do, but I'll have you know that—at least translated into the language I read it in—none of the books had that which the game referenced. If I read it in the original I would have probably noticed it being there, but well ...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

"Metaphor for the Atomic Bomb" is apparently a reference to the videogame "Braid"

15. I think it's more of a jab at Cloud from Final Fantasy 7, since he spends a good deal of the game angsting his brains out.

16. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I think there was a remake that had bees in it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The original, I know, is considered a classic. But in spite of that, I wasn't really crazy about it. So when the remake came out, I didn't bother seeing it. I've only heard bad things about it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Portal stole Android Hell from Futurama who stole it from Red Dwarf. They probably stole it from someone else in turn but I don't know who.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Is the robe of the beige warlock a reference to anything?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

To be honest, I'm not sure.

I do want to say that it probably is, and that there are a few things (like Discworld) that it might be referencing; but on the other hand, the description of the item does turn mockery of the general fashion-blindness of wizardly characters into quite a plausible option.

OmniaNigrum likes this.