Colony Plans

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by convolutedthinker, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

aren't your lowly peasants just tools with which to build your road to global domination, anyway?

EleSigma and Kazeto like this.
  2. A peasent needs no fancy rugs or drawers to hold their belongings, all they need are tools and an unwavering loyalty to the crown.

Haldurson and Kazeto like this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That's too high-fallootin' for a peasant. After all, why waste resources on a roof? Peasants can't rust.

convolutedthinker, Gorbax and Kazeto like this.
  4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Because lack of roofing decreases their sanity. And we wouldn't want to deny ourselves access to this resource, would we now?

Haldurson likes this.
  5. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I think they rot, though. Wouldn't want the smell to bother the noblemen, of course

6. Zelnick

Zelnick Member

Is this a fact? Would be cool, if you may abandon your colony "safe" at a certain point. Means, the colony is still on the world map, you can trade with it and affects in some way the Empire further. Related to DF, i don't really like it, that you MUST play your fortress to it's ultimate end or abandon it,because of boredom, and it "poofed".

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, I have no idea, but considering how empires of this sort work I am leaning towards the notion that “an overseer who abandons his colony is a traitor” which means something like this. I guess it would be cool if we could leave the colony to die on its own after fulfilling whatever objectives we were assigned there, or continue to try doing something with it until it perished in a blaze of glory/shame, without either one being enforced.

Haldurson likes this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Some of us, or with some colonies, at least, will continue playing right up until the bitter end. Some of us, at least part of the time, will try to achieve the most spectacular failures that we can. While others will, despite all our best intentions and efforts, will give up out of frustration, when some amount of hope is lost.

As for myself, I remember playing Sim City, and if a city would become stable, and I couldn't see any more point in improving it, I'd become bored, and start creating disaster after disaster in order to drive the city into failure. The moral is, at least for me, that too much success can become boring. It's not the successes that create good stories, it's the challenges and the failures. Sim City though was not a game about the failures. But this will be such a game.

You don't have to look any further than Dredmor. Yes, people here talk about their successes, and the great loot that they got. But there's also talk about their failures. The unusual deaths, both slow and quick, the blunders, the self-immolation, the deaths due to unstable artifacts, the walking into ones own thaumites, the drownings, the lutefisk paradoxes, the acid fountains, the eating of the Root of T'char, the struggling with Vegan and Necronomiconomic curses, and so on. Those make for better stories.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

also, you could try to spell "boobies" with the buildings

10. Mystrogak

Mystrogak Member

The taller i build it, the further it will fall. . .

I want my colony to be built tall, so tall the empire will shed a tear at its inevitable demise, so tall the laughter will be guttural from my mouth, so tall poetry will be written about it for years to come!

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Edimonde

Edimonde Member

Who needs houses for the plebs? They can sleep in the mines and factories cant they?

Kazeto likes this.
  12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes, but do you really want to risk people sleeping near poets and getting infected?

Edimonde likes this.
  13. Its okay, I hear poets cant get to madagascar

Gorbax and Kazeto like this.