Essential Core Skills Rebalance II: Electric Bungalow

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

The latter. I'm using it since it came out in the sky, never had a single problem of compatibility.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Emilio

Emilio Member

Hi,

Firtst, thanks for the great rebalance, love it at several stances, specially the deadshot

One thing though, while reading through the files to better understand some skills, it looked to me that the last level of archery doesn't increase the bolt recovery chance as it says on the description. Am I reading it wrong or is it working as intended?

Thanks

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

oops! That's a flavor text error, not a mechanics errors. There was never intended to be a recovery boost at that level.

Vitellozzo, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. Fortescue

Fortescue Member

Did you leave the Dual Wield -EDR nerf in after Gaslamp reduced the offhand stat bonuses by 1/2 ? Still too powerful?

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  5. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

They reduced the 2weapon damage bonuses?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

yep, some things were over-powered, apparently. The second weapon now only gives half the stats
    I don't think I seriously played a DW character from before they nerfed it, as I didn't even know they did until someone on the IRC channel mentioned it to me after some of my maths were off and I couldn't see why

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  7. Fortescue

Fortescue Member

Vitellozzo you seem to know a lot about mods, is it possible to remove items from the drop / vendor / Brax tables entirely and replace them with new items?

I would like to make a mod with the explicit goal of reducing inventory foolery by removing the sale price of all dropped items, but I know I can't do that without also making their purchase prices 0. The only solution I've thought of is cloning the drop list, appending _1 to the end of all item names while reducing their values to 0, and using the _1 items in the drop tables and the original items for vendor and Brax.

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You can do that, but you will be left with XML errors all over the place.

For every item that has a named effect, you have to also remove the effects themselves for it to have no errors. And if the effect exists in another item that you leave in, then you cannot remove the effect.

Still, what you want can be done. Read the XML of the mods. It is easy to understand. And you can always make a thread to address any issues you encounter.

Fortescue and Kazeto like this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You could instead modify the difficulty settings so that a given difficulty would have a 0% sell price. Or at least I think you could—there is a value for it in the file but I never bothered to check if it works or if it's a dummy so you'd have to check it for yourself.

10. Fortescue

Fortescue Member

!!!!

CONFIRMED.

It works perfectly, my inventory is worthless to Brax!!! This is the single best thing anyone could ever do to DoD, no more reason at all to horde random bullshit items and constantly make trips to sell stuff. All that is needed now is to tweak buy prices down or increase gold finds. I believe tweaking buy prices down would be the more reliable way of keeping the game fair.

Prelimanary testing values I'm looking at...

100% of value buy price on Elf (from 163%)
    120% of value on Dwarf (from 207%)
    140% of value on Rogue (from 243%)

Rogue is getting the biggest discount, but prices in Rogue were fairly silly and you couldn't buy anything without selling everything you could find. We'll see how this works out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  11. Fortescue

Fortescue Member

Well it looks like Kazeto figured out a simpler solution, and I've tested it already (it works). I still need to remove items from the list though without breaking the game, specifically the multiple qualities of bolts. I'm doing away with Barbed and Scythed in favor of just scaling the damage up more with ingot quality, as well as fixing crafted stacks at 20 and requiring Tinker skill to make any type of bolt, including Plastic. So now the progression will be much the same as before, with Steel bolts being roughly equal in power to what Scythed Steel bolts used to be, but with 8 fewer types of arrow drops clogging up your inventory, potentially.

So OmniaNigrum, you're saying if I remove all references to an item in itemDB and spellDB the game won't freak out and try to spawn said item anyway?

edit: Megaron in IRC states that as long as no rooms, vendors, crafts, or monster drops specifically reference an item, you can safely delete it from itemDB and it will just not appear any more.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If no references to the items and abilities of those items exists otherwise, the game will have no problem with it unless you started the game with those items existing and then removed them. (Your saves would crash on load if it cannot find the item or effect for the item that may already exist in that save.)

Vitellozzo, Fortescue and Kazeto like this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You can also increase the amount of money you find. Check this mod out, but be warned that it is a total conversion sort of mod, and you can read the XML and easily do only the parts you want on your own.
    http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/core-elvish-reality-reborn.5146/

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  14. Fortescue

Fortescue Member

Yeah, I saw there were values for tweaking gold drops as well. Upping your income has the same end result as lowering the prices, though. Do you know how to modify the contents of vending machines? Will they work fine if bolts are removed from the game?

Also, I am focusing very hard on just fixing one problem right now. That problem is too much inventory foolery.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think there has to be at least one sort of bolt in the game for it to work fine. So removing all there is and substituting it with something else that is also bolts won't cause any problems (again, for as long as the bolts you remove are not directly referenced by anything else).

Vitellozzo, Fortescue and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Yep, tweaking with difficulty settings can make you drop more (or less) and how prices are saw. But why tweaking both values? If everything costs 0 there's no need in money (aside from score).
    But I don't know how to modify vending machines (never really tweaked with items or vendors) but as far as I know the vending machines randomly takes from itemDB the equivalent kind of item to sell, setted only by RNG and by item level.
    As Kazeto said, leaving nothing but one kind of bolt could end in every vending machine selling x copies of that bolt.

17. Fortescue

Fortescue Member

No, the goal is for just selling to become worth 0. No more encouragement to pick up items you don't intend to actually use, no more trips to Brax to sell everything you can find (makes the game take at least twice as long imo). I don't want to make prices zero for purchasing, that would break the game :)

18. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Hey guys, I don't want to be that guy, but maybe you should make a new thread for this?

EDIT in response to the post below: I did not see that! Sorry

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    OmniaNigrum, Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  19. Fortescue

Fortescue Member

I did, but nobody is posting in it :) Also I just tried to ping you in IRC.

OmniaNigrum, Kazeto and Gorbax like this.
  20. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I wonder, why heradric shields isn't just part of this mod, since those are end game items and doesn't affect balance.

OmniaNigrum likes this.