Indie Game Bundles

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Aegho, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I think the frustration comes from the fact that all of these different software sites require a different custom program. I don't like it either, but that's the way it is.

This is a little bit off-topic, but I have a couple of related stories about things that ought to be better. Last night I saw a little pop-up in the corner of my screen saying "File downloaded" with the option to install or not install. There was absolutely no indication of WHAT software. There was nothing obvious listed in Task Manager as to what that was, and no option to get more info. Turns out it was something from Verizon related to my cell phone, but really. Do they really want me to install it, or do they want me to contact Symantec to report a possible malware infection?

Also, my mom's laptop -- you have to realize that my mom only knows how to do like 3 things on her computer, and nothing else -- she can use Google, she can play Solitaire, and she can print her Grocery coupons (sort of, but not in this case, the problems are not her fault). Almost every coupon website has a completely different piece of custom software needed to print their coupons, and almost every one requires a new taskbar added to her browser. She loves her coupons, but those darned taskbars eat up her screen space. And most of those programs don't even work properly. I told her to stop clicking on buttons because some of the software that gets installed acts like malware. It used to get her really frustrated because she'd say "Well I want those coupons". I occasionally just have to go through her computer, delete 90% of whatever addons were added to Firefox, and uninstall all of this crappy software that does god-knows-what. She's gotten better at not clicking on things that she doesn't understand, but if it's a question of calling me for help, or starting to randomly click on things to see if she can get whatever window or popup there is to go away, she'll do the latter.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Here is my Dropbox link to the mods in order as the post above has. Just in case anyone else had trouble getting them.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vzbvxhiupuu74w1/fFs8ZKCtMH

I removed the part about the Rars since it seems to upset some here, and I do not want to fight anyone.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I need to make a post here, since this is where I made a major mistake.

Sorry Loerwyn. Even if I dislike double archived files, it seems there is a real bug in Windows Explorer with a bunch of CAB archives in one place. It always wants to expand them like that awful Zip archive format that it treats as a subdirectory. When you have over 9GB of them, it flatly locks Windows Explorer while it cache thrashes to try to expand them like it does for Zips.

In reality, I thought I may have somehow acquired some malware, but it was Windows... Being itself... It is stupid.
    But I only noticed the problem when I went to where I kept a copy of the extracted CABs and the installer for the game. And only when using Windows Explorer.

I kept my mods in a subdirectory from there, but I could not even get to them due to the thrashing. It ironically would never have happened if I stored the Rar archive version of the installer. So it seems that Windows being so very stupid is the reason they used the WinRar self-extractor to do everything.

I have now replaced Windows Explorer with Explorer++. That allowed me to get to the CABs and installer and put them in a subdirectory so there would be no further cache thrashing.
    (Windows Explorer is still there, obviously, but I replaced my taskbar icon for Windows Explorer with the Explorer++ link.)

And before anyone asks, yes Explorer++ is freeware and open sourced.

So to sum up this post, I made a big fuss about something that seemed dumb to me, and in turn it made me look dumber. Sorry again Loerwyn. :(

Haldurson and Kazeto like this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

All I'll say is me and 7Zip have never really had an issue.

5. Aegho

Aegho Member

Here's an interesting bundle, full of RPGs including some roguelikes: http://bundle-in-a-box.com/?igb
    (I bought the beat the average version).

PS: 13 games, DRM-free versions of all, desura keys for 6 of them, and one steam key(hack, slash, loot). All on PC, 8 available on Mac and 4 on Linux.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

That is pretty cool, I might pick it up.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Aegho

Aegho Member

Not really indie, but the current humble bundle is pretty much a must buy if you don't have most of the games already:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/

I was waiting for the batman games to come up on sale now that they've removed GFWL from them, so definitely not disappointed in getting both of them, and scribblenauts unlimited, and a LORD RPG(dunno how good), and a couple of FEAR games, in one bundle... I payed over the minimum, even over the average...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I too bought this one, though I have no idea if any of the games will be worth playing. I had bought Scribblenauts Unlimited months ago for several times what the bundle costs, so if anyone wants that key, they are welcomed to it. Just PM me if you want it. I will remove this once someone PMs me about it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Kazeto likes this.
  9. Aegho

Aegho Member

Actually, humble bundle has stoped offering the keys individually, you must link all the keys to your account in one go and spare keys are simply lost.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, that they had. Probably because they realised that with all the repeats there sometimes were people would start trading keys.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

They are doing what you say, but there is a little icon on the bottom right beside where the serial would have been before. That is the gift button. It makes a link that you can give that game away with. So unless I am somehow mistaken, my offer stands.

Kazeto likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

The new key system went into effect with last week's Team 17 Humble Weekly.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a reasonably competent but unpolished (and ugly) 3rd-person RPG where you have two other party members. And NO inventory for anyone but yourself, meaning giving your party upgrades is a pain in the arse. It's kinda like Gears of War/Hunted: The Demon's Forge rather than, say, Baldur's Gate.

14. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, War in the North is alright. It's not great, but it's pretty fun. I've been wanting to play Scribblenauts for a while though so I'm gonna do that.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I got to watch a GDC talk on how they rigged and animated the eagles in War In The North. It was pretty impressive. Tons of work. Was neat.

#Hasn'tplayedthegame
    #Nonsequitur

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

GamersGate has a nice little collection for sale. Masterspace looks good and Heroes of a Broken Land looks like it has some potential once it is out of Beta. Thought people would like to know about this. :)

http://www.gamersgate.com/indiefort-bundle

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Aegho

Aegho Member

I bought the Debut 6 bundle over at http://www.indieroyale.com/
    Pretty cheap, €2,23. I only wanted one game(Subject 9), which appears to be an isometric action shooter similar to Shadowgrounds, except with superpowers and enemies that shoot back.

All games come bundled as one single desura key, similarly to how humble bundle does steam keys now. Also available as DRM-free downloads.

18. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I have tried out MasterSpace and it's okay, but it still feels like a beta game to me. There still needs to be quite a bit of work done on it. It's at version 2.3 I believe but seems like it should be at 0.8 or so.

I have also tried out Heroes of a Broken Land and it reminds me strongly of Legend of Grimrock but is still in beta testing. Supposedly a new version shouldn't be long in coming out, version 0.7 should fix a few things and give a better interface which I think it does need. But so far, this game is my favorite of the bundle but I haven't tried any of the others except Tales of Maj'Eyal which does have a free version which I am guessing is different than the one I got with this bundle.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Actually Tales of Maj'Eyal is freeware. The only benefits you get for paying is the ability to use the newest classes that are still in beta testing, and the ability to save items to transfer between characters. (A limited number based upon how much you donate.)

And the beta classes can be broken into without paying by opening the "addon" for the class with 7-Zip and taking the details of the class and merging it with the regular class files. But that would be theft in a sense. Yet having donated more than once myself, I was disappointed to learn that you must be connected to the Internet and login to the user account from which you donated to unlock the beta stuff. And not just that time, but every time. So I found a workaround that technically violates the rules of the game, but it works, and so long as I never share it, I really doubt Darkgod would care.

Darkgod has pledged that ToME will always be freeware. That is why it is a donation rather than a purchase. :)

Kazeto likes this.
  20. Aegho

Aegho Member

Sidenote here: a few more games have been added to the latest humble bundle, as well as a key for DLC to Batman: Arkham Origin, which I don't have, so it's up for grabs if anyone wants it.