Path of Exile official launch

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Daynab, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Figured I'd post a new thread if people were planning on playing it we could do something together, I dunno!

Yes, the game wasn't officially out yet even though millions of people have been playing it. But now it's coming out! (on the 23rd)

They're adding guilds, the end of act 3, new trigger gems (think manually adding procs to things) Steam cheevos, new leagues and a new class.

For those not familiar with it, it's a f2p action rpg by an indie studio that in my opinion is the best diablolike out there at the moment. The main outstanding features are the barter system (no traditional currency, lots of currencies that also have uses on items and such), the skill system (think materia from FF7 where you slot skills into items and then modifiers for those skills. It's pretty cool) and the freeform class system with, well, this: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree.

It also has a pretty interesting, dark, world so people who liked Diablo will probably get into it.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the payment model is the most reasonable one I have ever seen. You can only buy cosmetics and the devs have been deeply committed to staying away from pay to win. They even refused selling expanded inventories for that reason.

Anyways if anyone decides to play or comes back, post here!

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Due to some "persuasion" from others I will likely be picking it up. *glances at Day*

That said, if I get into this game it will be my first f2p ever. I believe in rewarding creators of content I enjoy, if for no other reason I'd like to see more such content.

Is there any etiquette for how much you should dump into a f2p you enjoy? Rules of the road, so to say?

3. Aegho

Aegho Member

I tried the beta months ago, didn't really like it, but then again it seems I don't really like diablolikes(got tired of torchlight 2 pretty quick too). I just really hate the control system.

PS: Attacking and moving both rely on mouse clicking, survival depends on dodging. Does not compute, does not compute.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I tend to think that if you like the game as much as a commercial game that you paid X for, you should consider paying X to the f2p to add incentive to the project for them.

For example, I paid $20 for Fallout 3 GOTY. I have played that hundreds of hours and enjoyed it immensely. If I played a f2p as many hours and enjoyed it as much, I would probably start at donating $20 to them. More as my time and enjoyment rose.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Daynab

I'm personally probably gonna drop $20 or $30 to support them. The game doesn't add incentive or asks you to buy anything EVER, which I can appreciate. The prices are a bit higher for that reason, I think.

6. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

From what I've read in here, it sounds amazing!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'll post but I'm not 100% sure if I actually will play. If I do, it probably will be more popping in and out in short spurts. If I do play I'll probably spend... something. If I play more, I'll certainly donate more.

It's a very clever game, which coming from me, is very high praise (I really respect things and people that are clever). But recently I've had issues with action games in general (headaches, eye strain, etc.). I'm good for short play sessions, though.

8. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

ITT: Haldurson is becoming old

;p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Those symptoms are not uncommon in youth either. (Not that I even remember what youth was like...)

10. Daynab

Let me know if you make a character!
    Hey I remember, we played together for one session a long time ago, that was pretty fun :)

Kazeto, Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I like how they've chosen to advertise it on Steam with boobs like some skeezy browser-based game.

'Come' in to my 'castle', my lord. And all that.

12. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I just watched the game-play trailer and the other one, I really think it's fine
    Even the huge banner on the store front-page is rather tasteful, I think

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

The two logos on the store page (big banner and the one in the 'New Releases' feed on the store page) both involve boobs.

Sick.
    Of.
    Boobs.
    As.
    Marketing.

14. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Well, women do have breasts. I thought you knew!
    The focus is obviously on the face and the weapon, the detail is exquisite. That while the bust is, if anything, under-accentuated. Even the back-lighting draws the focus to the face.

I really don't feel like they're using boobs as marketing.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

If she was engaging in combat (which she clearly is because of the blood and clothing damage) she would not have that much skin - especially her chest - on display.

Heck. She'd be a corpse long before that 'pose' even became possible. Just 'cos something is well-drawn doesn't mean, well, it's drawn well.

Edit: You see "good art". I see this.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  16. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I guess you have a point, but the suspension of disbelief is a wonderful thing. She can cast all the ridiculous magic spells she wants, but not trotting around in full plate-armour is too unrealistic? I don't buy it ;)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Daynab

It's disingenuous marketing (shocking) either way since you're not going to see that kind of thing in game with the armors so I think it would be fair to expect better from them but who knows.

Kazeto, Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

I tend to like diablolikes for what it's worth, but since I'm doing NaNoWriMo next month, I won't have free time for gaming. I'd be interested to know how the actual mechanics, skill scaling, and all that stack up, though. If anyone gets motivated enough to post such. If not, that's completely fine, too.

19. Daynab

Well, I don't know if you're familiar with Final Fantasy 7 materia but skills are a lot like those in PoE. Basically, all skills are gems that you find from quests or as loot, and you slot those into your equipment slots. Like this (sorry for the weird pic, from the forums, not in game.)
    [​IMG]

Then you get support gems that you link with those skills to modify them. For example, fork projectiles could work with any projectile spell or skills. They also added trigger gems that let you make manual procs (the example given was an ice wall chance when you get stunned).

There isn't really a typical class system, the only difference between classes is where they start on the giant passive skill web (in the OP) and what skills they get from quests.

20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That web is what I meant when I talked about the clever system. It's so big and complex and there's so many different possibilities. And the way the gems level up as well also adds to the complexity. You have to constantly be on the lookout for items with the right slots, and you have to be careful that you meet the changing requirements for the gems you have slotted as they level up, or you'll end up having to swap them out.

Then there's this really odd/complex currency/pseudo--crafting system which I'm not even going to try to describe. I remember that it took a bit to get used to.