Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Godwin, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  2. Godwin

Godwin Member

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Oh neat! that looks interesting, gonna check it out.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Godwin

Godwin Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Um. Wow. That's not dodgy at all. "Guys we can't use the music we want but we'll put it up for download even though we don't actually own the copyright nor have permission"

GENIUS.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Godwin

Godwin Member

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Chess-like games, when done well, can be a lot of fun. That said, chess and similar games (anything that requires a lot of focus and concentration) gives me a headache nowadays.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Godwin

Godwin Member

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/618169462/extinction-limit

I don't know why but projects like this just really make me want to pledge: the guy seems enthusiastic and is working on the project all alone, the concept is good enough, and I just so much like for him to get his goal.. he seems the kind of person Kickstarter was made for.

He's not asking much either.

Ok, the game:
    Some sort of free-roaming open world exploration base-creation (placing turrets etc) with a storyline and skill-based arcade type combat.

What made me pledge: You can script your own behavior for turrets using real scripting should you want you (not needed, but provides a bonus) and you can create your own circuit boards (using real electronics knowledge) (again, optional).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You know, the "build stuff and write scripts for it" thing reminds me of an oldie called "Colobot".

As of now I'm observing, once I get a day off I'll think about whether I want to back this or not (now I don't trust myself).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

This is not a kickstarter yet, but one that will probably start in September. I'm waiting to see what their proposal actually looks like before I make a decision to support them. But hell, I loved CoH when I played it, so I can't help but be moderately interested: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/0...itual-successor-plans-kickstarter-for-sept-8/

For me, I spent much too much time playing EQ because I was in a serious raiding guild (Well a semi-casual guild that gradually turned into that). CoH was partly what rescued me from that. I just loved the game. I played EQ at first out of love, but that turned into obligation. CoH was pure love. I had fun in SG groups, I had fun in pickup groups, I had fun soloing, I loved a lot of the hand-crafted content that came out later, and I especially loved the game when CoV was released (it was like starting a brand new MMO from scratch with a lot of the same features that I loved, but with new twists and a completley different feel).

Anyway, when I left CoX, it was because I was completely played out on the game. I came back briefly to see a lot of the later changes, but I no longer had an SG/VG at the time so it wasn't the same. I can't say that I'm even cautiously optimistic about this project. I like the fact that it's being made and supported by the fans. But making a good MMO is not easy nor cheap (otherwise there'd be a lot more of them). So we'll see.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  11. Godwin

Godwin Member

12. Aegho

Aegho Member

That looks interesting. Like a cross between Hired Guns and Incubation.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Godwin

Godwin Member

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinitap/neverending-nightmares

This is a horror game, a genre I really dislike usually, but this has a unique art style and it's influenced by the developers own previous mental illness and experiences. It is so far well received by the press and there was a playable demo at PAX.

I'd like to see him get the chance to finish it :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kerberosproductions/ground-pounders
    Alpha Demo: http://www.gamershell.com/download_102535.shtml

It is a hex-based sci-fi strategy game featuring the tanks, aircraft and infantry of the Sword of the Stars universe. This is a cross platform card wargame for pc and android (possible for mac, ios, and linux devices too if it makes it stretch goals or later down the road if it doesn't). Both SP and MP are supported, and you can have up to 6 asynchrounous MP games going at once.

I'm already a backer, so you could justly accuse me of being biased towards its success. KP is publishing this independently, so I'm expecting the quality and polish levels of the Pit and SotS: Prime. Plus, you know, more SotS-lore. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

No. Just no.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. To each their own, assuredly.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's more a case of... Noooooooooooooo.

I don't get it. I really don't. KP don't exactly have a good track record, and now they're asking for money "so they can finish their game earlier"? Admittedly it's not as ridiculous as the Awesomenauts patch Kickstarter, but this is kinda ridiculous. After how SotS: The Pit and its DLC was handled, I don't think this will be a particularly good idea.

No good can come of rushing.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Well, I thought the Pit was great. I had a lot of fun and hours with it. Nice game for 10 USD (2.50 if you got it on sale) and the DLC was 5 USD. Not as cheap as DoD, but that game was decidedly under-priced post RotDG (bugs prior make the price of $5 debatable per the Devs). I really don't see what was wrong with the Mindgames DLC from any angle atm.

Both the Pit and the DLC came out relatively polished, and they consistently added to its content base while fixing bugs and tweaking player quality of life issues. They even updated both the base game AND the DLC version again this week.

KP has a pretty good track record with non-paradox titles, as far as I can tell. Fort Zombie was financed by Paradox, and SotS 2 was of course a disaster.

Kazeto, Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The only Kerberos game that I didn't like was SotS 2, and it was more a case of, even after it was 'fixed', I still hated the interface, and some basic design decisions.

What I would LOVE to see is, simply, a better SotS 1. The game has lots of good concepts in it. I love the randomized tech trees, for example, and the way that each race differs in very fundamental ways that go beyond mere stat bonuses.. Its interface was decent, but could be simplified and made more intuitive (particualrly the combat screens). Some things ought to be easier to automate (such as the Zuul warp line maintenance, which is the primary reason why I NEVER EVER want to play the Zuul). SotS 1 was not a perfect game, but I felt like SotS 2 was so intimidating because of its UI and some of the backwards ways that things worked, that I just had no desire to ever even try to get into it. Some people say that now that they've finally fixed the bulk of the bugs that the game is quite good. But to me, it wasn't the bugs that kept me from playing. It was searching screens and clicking on arcane-looking buttons with no discernible meaning, and having no clue as to how to build a ship. THAT'S why I quit playing and never looked back.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  20. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Member

Hello

What is not intuitive about SotS1 combat screens?
    I don't find the SotS1 Zuul node line maintenance that annoying, especially compared with micromanagement needed for trade, or the lemming ways of the AI...

OmniaNigrum likes this.