Indie Game Bundles

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Aegho, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I understand - on some level - where you're coming from. You want the most efficient way to get a game and its content for the lowest price. That's something I get. After all, if we all bought our games via bundles and deep-discount sales, think of the money we'd save!

But what I don't get is why you're not willing to buy DS3 for what is essentially less than $1, even if you keep it to one side until the DLC gets deep-discounted (this is EA, it's not likely to happen too frequently). It's like the No Steam No Sale or No Trading Cards No Sale people, just shooting yourself in the foot over a minor issue.

I mean I get your method, I get the understanding and the logic, but like all methods, if you rigidly stick to it then you just end up missing things. And I think, truly, you'll regret it if you don't pick it up. You're passing up a deal that far surpasses deep discounting at its best, all for the sake of a petty "if they don't do what I like then blargh" method. EA aren't beholden to you, they don't need to do what you want, they can do their own thing and are quite successful at it. But waiting for a 'complete pack' is a fool's errand, anyway. EA have done VERY few for the past number of years, now, even for their best selling titles. I don't think Battlefield 3 has even had one yet (but it has had multiple editions with progressively more content), and even if it does it's a special case as it's an MP title and needs a constant influx of new players to survive.

I'm not being all "omg ur so dumb" about this. I think - and maybe I'm overstepping my bounds here - that you've got a method, but if it's blocking you from playing what you want, then it's not really working, is it?

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, maybe it's not working the best, and if anything it's him being stubborn now.

But we can't really change that, can we now? And for as long as his method works at all and he is content with it, we probably won't.

So it's one of those discussions where both sides are right.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

You are right about getting it for a dollar but I always pay a little above the average to get the bonus stuff and it's for charity. I don't feel right giving just a buck a charity, at the moment I would have to beat $4.82 to get the bonus so I would likely do $5 and be done. The problem is that I am extremely low on cash and $5 is a good sized investment for me. I do not have a job (I have been looking for years) or any sort of social service type money coming in. I am currently living with my parents and they give me around $16 a week to purchase groceries/whatever I want. Most of that goes for food which leaves me anywhere from $0 to $5 each week for anything else. I have managed to save up around $40 dollars but I am going to be in need of some other things. I can't justify $5 for a few games especially when the 1 game I am most interested in isn't what I call complete. So for the most part this is about money and somewhat about not being complete.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Well, that's a fair point. I paid $5 myself and got everything.

But even if it's about money, then it's still a cheaper, long-term deal to get the bundle now and the content later. Spread the cost out, etc.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

It doesn't really matter anymore. OmniNegro went and purchased it for me. So I got it anyway. He's a good and generous guy. :)

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Fairy snuff.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Groupees Be Mine 9:

$1:
    The Whispered World (Steam)
    Depths of Peril (Steam)
    Mini Motor Racing EVO (Steam)
    Splatter (Desura)

$5:
    Eador Genesis + MotBW + OST (Steam except OST)
    Ittle Dew + OST (Steam except OST)
    Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can + OST (Steam except OST)
    Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages + OST + Novel (Desura except extras)

And yes, I'm a little pissed over Ittle Dew being in there (seeing as I paid like almost three times that price about a month ago) so soon, but hey-ho.

OmniaNigrum and Aegho like this.
  8. Aegho

Aegho Member

Grabbed that, for $5. I've activated Mini Motor Racing EVO (turned out to be pretty bad), Splatter, Eador Genesis + MotBW, Ring Runner and Ittle Dew.

If anyone is very interested in something else there, I could part with keys... I already had the whispered world, and I'm not too interested in the rest...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I am kind of tempted to grab that. Because I'v ebeen interested in a few of those in the past. But at the same time I know I'm never going to play any of those because I have 50,000 games waiting in line before them, most of hwich are considerably more polished. ARGH. MUST RESIST.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Mini Motor Racing EVO pales in comparison to Little Racers STREET which was in an earlier Groupees bundle.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Aegho

Aegho Member

I believe you. Tried it out, the controls are terrible.

Ring runner also has some issues with the controls that I don't like (specifically: your ship has no side thrusters, you can only go forward, you can also only aim forward... There's an evasive action button that flings you in a random direction, not ideal.)

Splatter however is promising, after playing through the first map, it's a lot like Zombie Shooter, but with better graphics(I'm running it in 1920x1080).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Depths of Peril Din's Curse is an interesting and different (though certainly flawed) game, and certainly worth a try (particularly at $1.00 lol). It's similar to another of Soldak's game "Din's Curse" "Depths of Peril", which is also worth a look. It's an action rpg with procedurally-generated content, and some twists from the usual action rpg to it. You have to manage not only fighting through the dungeon, solving quests, leveling up, getting cool loot, but also protect the encampment above the dungeon and its inhabitants at the same time, keeping them alive, adding to their defenses, and so on. It certainly adds a whole strategic level to the game and sometimes offers some difficult decisions -- as to how you prioritize things. Quests can actually be failed, with consequences that can actually be dire.

On the other hand... like most action rpgs, it can get very repetitive at times. But for $1.00, you can certainly afford to play it until you get bored with it.

/edit BTW, I think I confused Din's Curse and Depth's of Peril. I looked at the different game descriptions, and it's Din's Curse that I was describing. I always get them confused. I actually didn't play that much of "Depths of Peril" so I'm actually commenting on the wrong game above.

http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Overview.html
    http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Overview.html

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I bought the bundle. I also noticed that Desura changed the way you activate games. Click "Gifts" at the bottom to get where you can actually activate things. I wonder why the bothered to change it?

14. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

GamersGate has BattlePaths v1.5 for $1.02 for the next 11 hours. I tried the game and it appears to be okay. It's a turn based roguelike if anyone cares for that sort of game. :D Just thought I would mention it in case anyone cares to try it out at that price.

15. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It's quite a bargain. I'm trying it out now as well. It has quests like an rpg(ish) game, but it does have a rogue-like feel to the combat.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Aegho

Aegho Member

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Okay, that's kinda funny.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Not quite an Indie game Bundle, but Gamersgate has Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection for $6.
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

And here is how to mod these games to how they should be. (Only the BG series here, the others have mods, but I do not have the correct links yet.)
    http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the...m?pp=d051bf1ddf82f79c6af34f7f4e59707f081296ad

*Edit* Rather than have several messages here, I will bundle them together.

What a mess. First you download the "Gamersgate Installer" and it downloads 9.3GB of Rars. Then it extracts them into a bunch of CABs and another installer. Those then install the game. So around 30GB space is used just to get 11.4GB if you do it all on one drive.

On my SSD I downloaded the Rars and aborted the install so I could copy them over to my mechanical drive.If I had known about the second step being there, I would have again extracted and copied the contents to my mechanical drive in place of the Rars that are now worthless.

Ignore the text above that is struck through. It seemed to inflame another here, and I am only leaving it so it does not make the person that was upset look crazy.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    Kazeto likes this.
  19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

The GamersGate Downloader is a tool for a specific file. It's fairly reliable and allows you to pause/resume downloads without losing any progress. It's not a "mess".

Haldurson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But double archived files is plainly stupid in mine. The Rars had zero compression. They were just a useless container to hold the files in that in turn held the other files in the Cabs and installer.

Kazeto likes this.