Indie Game Bundles

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Aegho, Feb 5, 2013.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Oh, it is worth noting that EA has given up profit from this sale altogether. That means that I will have to wonder if my impression of them is in any way accurate for some time. But for what little it is worth, that could be the only undeniably good thing I am aware of EA intentionally doing.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

So what is Origin exactly? A typical DRM method coupled with a GUI and sales interface like Steam?

Is it something I should worry about or as benign as Adobe Flash?

I really hate installing spyware/malware on my system. Such things are usually installed with above root access and cannot be entirely removed if they are found to be bad. I use no "Restore Points" and usually manage a system for at least several years before a reinstall is required.

But as the few here that remember my frequent rants about Steam, I am starting to think this may be a required thing in times to come. Can someone kindly explain to me what I will gain and at what cost for using Origin?

My sleep medication/booze just started kicking in. I will amend this if I am off base. Thanks in advance. (In a way, insomnia is killing my liver...)

It is 2:48am here now as I stumble over the keyboard. I hope to have some relevant insight when I wake in another 8-12 hours. Meanwhile the sale is at the usual place, https://www.humblebundle.com/

Thanks again!

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's basically a more mediocre Steam for EA games, that's about it. It's not particularly worse, but it has poor servers that don't really handle huge traffic all that well (which I suppose is somewhat understandable given how recent it is). For example, it being down constantly when SimCity came out, and the key registering being down today due to the popularity of the bundle.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Actually, Origin's been around maybe as long as Steam has in that Origin is an updated, expanded and more functional EA Download Manager. It's existed as Origin (i.e. the store) for maybe two years tops now, but it was itself a tool used by the previous EA store for many years.

And it's, in my opinion, better than Steam. Or could be. It has a smaller footprint, better DLC management, looks a lot cleaner, etc., etc. All the controversy about it being spyware or whatever was mostly just EA Hating going on, with very little legitimacy to it. It's no more spyware/malware than Steam is.

Still room for improvement, of course.

5. Aegho

Aegho Member

Well, seemed like that bundle was worth the $1 I spent on it, even if I have to get origin to play Dead Space 3. Considering I'm probably never going to get anything else on origin, seems a bit of a waste of space, wish they'd just have used steam instead.

6. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Dead Space 3 is the one that I care most about. The only problem is that you get no DLC with it. Sorry, not worth it to me. When I get those types of games that have DLC, I wait until all of the DLC seems to be out with nothing more coming and then buy the ALL packs that contain everything. I guess I will be waiting a little longer for it.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's not worth $1...?

Haldurson, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  8. Godwin

Godwin Member

Thanks for the heads up on the bundle ^^

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The only problem I have with Origin is that now that it's launching automatically at startup, I can't figure out a way to stop that from happening short of uninstalling it. The games that I have that require it are not games that I actually want to play nowadays.

I like Steam, I'm used to Steam, I can even deal with Steam's occasional problems. But why I like to have Steam launch at startup is simply because most of the games that I actually play nowadays (not all of them) are on Steam, and that makes it very convenient, so I don't have to hunt around to find something on my start menu or have it adding to the litter that is my desktop. Two programs like that are one too many. At least for me. Had I started with Origin and had most of my games been on an easy to use menu created by Origin, then I might have been spouting the virtues of that program.

10. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Tried looking in start -> run -> msconfig? most startup entries can be found under the startup tab there.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I would wager a guess that it can be stopped from doing that from there, yes.

But then again, requiring the user (who may or may not know enough about computers) to meddle with his OS' settings like that doesn't really give them any positive points.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I don't feel like getting it now and then again when the complete pack comes out. Plus if I play it now, I am likely not to want to play it again when I can finally get the DLC. I would rather wait and get it all at once. It is a great price but again the DLC not being there is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

EDIT: Plus I am not sure about Origin. I already have Steam and having yet another program that installs it's own DRM scheme on my system making it even less stable makes me leary.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Why not just get it now and pick the DLC up on sale? You'll be paying more for a complete package for at least another year, that is assuming EA releases one - they seem to have stopped doing complete editions now. Mass Effect 2/3 and Dragon Age 2, as examples, never got Complete Editions.

Steam, Origin, UPlay, Desura. Essentially the only four you'll need. Games for Windows Live is still in vague use. And I have had very few problems (if any) with Origin as a programme, certainly no issues I've had that Steam hasn't had either. It is stable, it is secure. It's a bit wobbly right now but it's just had something like over 100k people adding keys to it and downloading, I think this is the first time it's had such an influx of customers.

Haldurson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

As I said above, if I get it now without the DLC and play it, I probably will never play any of the DLC. By the time I could get it I would have either finished or gotten bored with Dead Space 3. If they never release a complete pack, then I guess I will never get it. If they can't be bothered to release it in a format that I want then they must not want my money. Plus I never buy a game at full price. Actually I should say I have only once bought a game a full price and that was Diablo 2 and then it's DLC when it came out. I have learned patience since then and it doesn't matter how much I want a game, if I want it, I will wait for it to go down on price. That includes those complete packs. Every single one I have purchased has been on sale for less than $10 for everything. Usually it was closer to $5 for everything. I like to game but I refuse to pay a ton of money for it. Besides, I have a ton of games that I have not even played yet to go through. If they never release it at a price I like then I will never play it, it's that simple. I don't pirate games either so that isn't an option.

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, that is one way to do it. I see it as a little bit weird myself, but then again I seldom play games with many DLC so it is a bit different for me, and above that even, if you like to do it that way then there's no harm done and no need to force you to do it differently.

LionsDen and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

DS3 has one piece of story DLC. The rest is gear, upgrades, etc., etc.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And... that's not the point, you know.

He said how he does it, he said why he does it, we said what we think, and to continue doing so even now would be simply stupid. That is the point.

LionsDen and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Well, maybe I am stupid! *Huffs*

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

No, not stupid. You just don't understand where I am coming from. That's okay, many people don't understand where I am coming from. I just like to do things in my own way and in my own method.

20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Just a reminder, sanity is relative. If it sounds crazy then it certainly is for you. :)

Kazeto likes this.