Windows Vista/7 64-bit (Steam) Game crashes at launcher

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by LightGuard, Jul 12, 2013.

1. LightGuard

LightGuard Member

So, I'm trying to launch Dreadmor with a bunch of sweet mods to really augment my playthrough, and I can't launch the game to even start enjoying it!

What's going on? I launch Dreadmor from the Steam client and I get the normal launcher screen where I can launch the game, mods, or exit with all the resolution things. When I click either Mods or Launch, I get no activity whatsoever, even in the Task Manager.

It's really frustrating. There's no error, no failure codes. Just nothing happens.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried reinstalling the game?

3. LightGuard

LightGuard Member

I am, but I hate doing it. Windstream claims there's a "High Latency" issue because they've got too many customers and not enough bandwidth, so my downloads chug along like I'm on old-school 256k or even dial-up. This also causes applications to download "successfully" then fail to launch.

Supposed to be a 15 Mb connection!

4. Daynab

Ouch, sorry to hear that. See if it works without any mods, and if it starts crashing with mods into it.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. LightGuard

LightGuard Member

So, yeah, it's crashing if you try to load mods. Doesn't matter if you have them downloaded or not, you get the "Getting Steam Subscription Details" then it goes back to the Steam launcher. Playing normally works, but I'm not trying to play normally, I got hooked on Interior Dreadmorating and FaxPax...

6. Daynab

Alright, I'll poke a dev about this Monday. I wonder if there's any info you can give to help figure out why it's happening to you, though. The only one I can think of: Does your windows username include any non-english characters?

7. LightGuard

LightGuard Member

By Windows, you mean OS? No. Upper and lower, same as the machine. Can I sideload mods into the Steam version, if I download them from a better connection?

8. Daynab

Wait, can you clarify, these issues are all from subscribing to mods through the Steam Workshop, right? Yeah, try downloading them from the forums instead, see if it still crashes.

9. LightGuard

LightGuard Member

Yes, they are all from the Workshop. I can provide a list if you'd like?

More Dred (Item Pack)
    Compleat Essential Skills
    FaxPax (0.9i: last updated 2/27)
    Knight of Cynishire
    Advanced Craft'n'Smelt
    Dungeon Life
    Dungeons of Equestria
    Android Rogue Mod
    Roguish Renovation Megapack v0.61
    Interior Dredmorating 1.2.6.4

10. Daynab

Yeah see if you can play with mods acquired from here, not with the workshop ones. You can find an installation guide if you need in the modding section.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. LightGuard

LightGuard Member

So, yeah, sideloading mods per the instructions for a non-Steam version worked, though I had to create my own mods folder. Still, it's really weird that I can't get the workshop mods going as a normal instance...

Kazeto likes this.
  12. Daynab

That is definitely weird. I don't know if there's anything we can really do to figure out why it doesn't work for you either.

13. LightGuard

LightGuard Member

I'm part of the Steam Beta, but that shouldn't affect games launching...