Dredmor Steam Trading Cards

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by JimJam707, May 16, 2013.

1. JimJam707

JimJam707 Member

I, for one, would love to collect a virtual card with a Diggle on, and I am sure it would bring in some new players :)

It says in the FAQ "I have a game on Steam, how can my game participate?
    Contact your Steam Account Manager for details on how to get your game into the program.", and I doubt it would take much time to put some of the existing artwork onto a card.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Or Gaslamp could not because it's a bloody stupid idea on Valve's part. ;)

Arron Syaoran and Kazeto like this.
  3. JimJam707

JimJam707 Member

Opinions opinions opinions ;P

4. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I am super conflicted over the whole steam trading card thing. On one hand it's pretty banal and has basically nothing to do with the games involved - it's essentially a playtime reward and nothing more.

That said I love collecting things :( :( :(

JimJam707 and Kazeto like this.
  5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Mo' monies, mo' honies, mo' tradin' cards, yo?

Kazeto likes this.
  6. 00face

00face Member

I love collecting things. But, idea. HOW ABOUT A CONTEST! 6-12 cards submitted by fans to be voted on. Like the idea?

JimJam707 likes this.
  7. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I only like collecting things that either have a physical existence, is an exceptional work of Fanart/Official Art for a beautifully-designed fantasy character, or if the collection has either a gameplay gimmick or is actually part of the in-game.

A Steam Dredmor Card Collection would just be a waste of time.
    A. It's not part of The Dungeons of Dredmor game.
    B. It serves no purpose in gameplay mechanics.
    C. You can't even store it on your hard drive for backups/Offline reference, because Steam Offline doesn't work quite well.
    D. David Baumgart should be busy making Game Art and Concept Art for Clockwork Empires, and maybe some wallpapers for DoD and CE. A wallpaper is a much better idea than a trading card that requires a memory-intensive client to view.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

But it would be advertising for Dredmor, and thus potentially bring funds in to Gaslamp for CE.

Arron Syaoran, JimJam707 and Kazeto like this.
  9. 00face

00face Member

A. That's why it could and would be awesome to be added.

B. You can earn this in various ways, via achievements would be something I think would be rather awesome. They of course don't directly have an effect on gameplay, but there are some fun ways they could, once earned that is.

C. That is really the nature of the beast, a facet I appreciate. If it can be static on my hard drive that means it can become lost or corrupted. One benefit of Steam is never having to worry about loosing something. Unless I'm way off base and you mean looking at it offline, then that is just kind of asking for a lot security wise from Steam.

D. Fan contest, fun, competition, prizes of getting your art on the card(s).

L. Their collectibles X3.

ยง.

10. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I'd rather have both a copy in the Cloud AND a copy on my Hard Drive in case the corresponding Cloud server dies. After all, a server's data IS on a hard drive. One of the reasons why I keep backup is incase I can't access the internet anymore(because of lack of money/access, or maybe the internet dies from a near-apocalyptic event)

A Digital Collectable isn't truly collectible if you can't see it if you're offline. Computers are more than just internet terminals. People are taking internet for granted, and there was quite a long time where most computers didn't have internet at all. PC's even.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Troublegum

Troublegum Member

You can guarantee that, as soon as DoD was confirmed as a Trading Card game, thousand of Steam nerds would snap it up just for the cards. Much as I'm :shrug: about a lot of the aspects of the whole Steam Trading Cards Buy Them Off The Market Cards things I'd be happy to see some for DoD. Because its got such awesomely distinctive art.

12. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

If we're going to have Trading cards, then I'd like either a Desktop Downloadable copy or a Physical Copy. And I'll never pay for them, especially if they're Steam only.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Trading cards are essentially pointless unlockables on Steam that get you maybe some backgrounds or something for your profile.

There's no purchasing involved, unless you want the game to unlock the cards.

14. borsook

borsook Member

I would love it! So far I've been just selling all the cards I get, but if Dredmor had them I would actually keep them :)

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

same. The other games I have I've just sold them.

I want to collect sets of diggles and thrusties.

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Having actually farted around with the trading card system, I'd like to add - definitively - my support for GLG going for Dredmor Trading Cards if they so wish.

Reasons:
    1. Because you love us and because we love you.
    2. Diggles for the masses.
    3. Every single card sale/purchase means money for GLG.
    4. It drives people to buy the game for more cards. Or it may very well do, I should say.
    5. It's a low but presumably steady source of a little bit of extra money for not a lot of outlay.
    6. See point 2.
    7. See point 3 and 5.
    8. More Dredmor sales.

We all understand it would take David and, presumably, Mooms away from CE work for a brief period, but say you guys did 6 cards, surely that could be done in a very brief period of time? I, at least, get it if you guys say no, but I think this could be a fun little thing with real financial benefits.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Based on my understanding, the amount of work required to put together trading cards for Dredmor is as little as designing a template for the cards, then tossing together some already existing art. And it's an excuse to draw players back to the game for at least a couple of hours! I know quite a few people who just havent given the game the chance that it deserves...which is understandable, considering the massive amount of content. But still.

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Most cards I've seen have had new art done for them, but even then you're not talking a huge length of time, I believe. Not that I want to tell Lestat and Mooms how quickly they should do their jobs.

19. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

:D

Glad not to have to sit on this secret anymore; we've been ready to go for a couple weeks now and finally they're out.

So yeah, I felt had to do new/upgraded art. It wouldn't do y'all justice to just cheese it with some old stuff that was lying around. The Conquest of the Wizardlands background is the most direct re-use of art, but it still took a good deal of work.

Enjoy!

Kazeto, Turbo164 and SkyMuffin like this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I now have two copies of Dredmor installed. But yay, thanks David and "The Gang". This is great! :D