Put a stack size limit on everything

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Arron Syaoran, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I've seen quite alot of pictures with people having thousands of bolts and hundreds of potions. I was thinking if it were possible to make stack size limits similar to as follows:
    Reagent/Ingot/Potion Stack size limit: 99.(or 128 or 64)
    Lutefisk/Bolt/Thrown Stack size limit: 999.(or 512 or 1024)
    Equippable Weapons/Armour Stack size limit: 1.
    Wands Stack size limit: 1.
    Food/Drink Stack size limit: 99.(or 128 or 64) - Lutefisk would be an exception.

This might balance the game a little, and will make inventories slightly more realistic. The limit would be somewhat generous, but force hoarders to have multiple stacks.

Also, are Bolts/Thrown supposed to be Encrustable/Krongable? if not then it kinda needs to be fixed.

2. I don't see why there should be different stack size limits for different items (other than gear and wands, which should remain at 1 for obvious reasons.) It's a little silly to have a 99 stack limit on, say, Potions of Health, because Alchemy characters will probably end up having to have 2 or 3 stacks before too long. If there must be a cap, I'd prefer it to be 500 for everything, just because that's the optimum size for fisking and most characters won't have more than a couple of stacks of 500 of any one item by the end of their run anyway.

3. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

500-512 looks even enough. Make it so! Although I hardly ever see more than 30 of any Potion or Reagent unless I have Alchemy in my build or Faxpax installed.(I blame the Diggle God + Dual Alchemy Tomes + Rama Banana combo that gets you from 0 Alchemy to 5 without even taking the skill)

Edit: Your avatar looks like Jake English eating a taco.

Professor Science likes this.
  4. I agree, unless you're running a crafting build you're not likely to see too many of any one kind of item (discounting Lutefisk). Aside from the frustration that comes from making Lutefisk stacks too big, I don't see much reason for a cap, since accidentally fisking or selling huge stacks isn't common.
    And yes, it is Jake English eating a taco. Good to see MSPA is well known on these forums.

5. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

If it ain't broke, why fix it.

6. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

7. But that's not a good reason for a stack limit. Why separate them into smaller stacks when a single stack works fine? It makes it easier to organise and takes up less inventory space the way it is.

8. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I don't know. Having thousands of bolts seems kinda broken as far as inventory standards go. Most games actually have a limit.

9. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

But... pocket dimension. What possible functional difference would having 100 vs 50,000 arrows make if you can just go replenish from storage after any room? It's purely aesthetic and (in my opinion) not worth dev time.

Kazeto likes this.
  10. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I'm actually pulling a Dante from DMC and just magicing the bolts from the pocket dimension right into the crossbow before shooting, and thus never reload or run out.

Darkmere likes this.
  11. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I don't think you'll be able to do that mid monster zoo without missing out on the loot.

12. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

...Awesome! New goal: surf a diggle through a monster zoo, and defeat Dredmor using a motorcycle as a melee weapon. I will find a way...

13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Its already hard enough to keep track of everything in the pocket dimension as it is and this suggestion would just make it worse.

Kazeto likes this.
  14. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I can't wait to see the DMC skillset.

15. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Meh, I'll just accept everyone's suggestion and dump this idea. Having 10000 bolts on one stack DOES seem kinda neat. I need to try that sometime. I wonder whether to use Iron or Steel, and I'll have to use CK and Perception plus Tinkering.

Edit: Speaking of Which, I would like to play a TRUE Clockwork Knight Build. I wonder what the exact skillset would be. I think it includes:
    Clockwork Knight
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Perception?(Not Sure)
    Axes?(CK Ravager?)
    Archery?(cause of C'bows?)
    What would the last skill be?

16. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The build I used was all about a story of a clockwork knight, but the build itself wasn't. But hm, I might try:

Clockwork Knight
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Rogue Scientist is pretty nice, I like to pretend I strapped all these death weapons onto my knight.
    Master of Arms because CKs always have heavy armor and assault the enemy !

You could actually take Throwing AND Archery, throwing is really abuseable, and as you know, CK's have an arm cannon (which you are actually using instead of throwing). If you take both you'll get a lot of EDR, Also, plastic bolts alone will be quite handy.

If you don't want both, throwing is probably more useful even if you only use a few encrusts (due to melee power).

Perception isn't the best (note you have HUD encrusts, which encrust things with GPS Positioning, heh), if you feel like Alchemy which also fits in the period. I'm mostly following the Clockwork Empires Victorian thing, where you had aether and alchemists/chemists about. Also, fuel for your CK.

That's 9 in total, so pick 7 that you like.

If not overencrusting, you probably want dual mirror shields for Dredmor/Vlad.

You would aim to eventually have (if you only encrust a little) dual Universal Principles with Offensive Shielding, clockwork stuff (which adds :melee_power:) and of course a rocket power encrust on the clockwork gloves. And possibly clockwork limbs for more :melee_power:).

That said, guns seem to be what I think of, though you might have bayonets on them I always thought of the CK being closer to tanks (think of the power armor in fallout) which have fuel-filled backpacks for stuff and tons of ammunition, guns, cannons etc etc.

17. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

My build will be:
    Clockwork Knight
    Smithing
    Tinkering
    Thrown
    Archery
    Master of Arms
    Should the last one be Unarmed, Shield Bearer, Dual Wield or a Weapon skill? Which would fit CK theme more?

Edit: I'm not gonna encrust.

18. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Might as well go with unarmed. You can get that damage bonus + two tomes damage bonus. That's a good bit of :dmg_aethereal: and :dmg_existential: damage. If you get those universal principles.

Should be able to get 100 block pretty easily with MoA, so you can probably safely melee a good number of mobs and try to save your thrown weapons and such for later. Might have to go back and empty vending machines though (I did, but not really necessary in general)

Would be interesting if there was a mod that added "guns" for the crossbow slot and "bayonet guns" as melee polearms or something. Hm.

19. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I don't know. I seem to have been doing Unarmed Thrown runs alot and I'm starting to get a little tired of it. There's A-Rod Lemke as a Thrown/Unarmed, plus several other characters that died. I think I should take a break from dredmor for now.