Is this existent in Dredmor?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by deathknight1728, May 20, 2013.

1. I was wondering if any of the skills/abilities in the game allow you to gain more experience points for the main character. Like swift learner from fallout where you can eventually outclass enemies more due to a bonus in exp earned in combat. Someone on another forum said one of the other skills did that. Is that in the game?

2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Big Game Hunter: You can get more XP for kills of Animals
    Archeology: Sacrifice artifacts in return for XP

Kazeto and Turbo164 like this.
  3. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Also Killer Vegan gives bonus XP for Vegetables.
    The Polymorph spells can also give a slight XP advantage if you turn low xp monsters (like most Gnomes) into bigger ones (Dragons etc).

Archeology is the main one though, especially if combined with Crafting skills to make your own artifacts.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Sapeviech

Sapeviech Member

Archeology for sure, it's so good it should be the last skill you get in that tree not the second.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

Burglary gives you extra XP from free lockpicks for every door and chest in the game, not to mention letting you close doors again for safety and escape.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Wootah

Wootah Member

Sorry there is no skill that gives a blanket experience increase, but by playing No time to grind, you get a lot more experience, and the floors are smaller.

Edit: And It is actually QUITE fun to make an all experience build with every skill mentioned here. You will need ranged skills to kill animals however for their bonus experience (being a vegan).

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Trap affinity earns you extra experience for disabling traps. Your perfect Exp build will have some of the following:
    Archeology
    Big Game Hunter
    Killer Vegan
    Burglary
    Tinkering(Trap Exp, combine Burglary with another skill with Trap Affinity to maximise Trap Exp from high level traps)
    Any mod that gives you extra exp from certain stuff.

8. I'm currently playing a character with these skills. I'm using Perception and Thrown Weaponry to fill the other two slots, because Perception stacks nicely with the other trap skills and Thrown Weaponry gives me a ranged attack to use against animals and stacks very well with the strength boosts from Killer Vegan.

9. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Perception also helps you get mats for Tinkering, but with Thrown instead of Archery, you'll be making either bombs or bolts.

10. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

For thrown, amusingly Fungal Arts is very helpful. Because you get mushrooms that you can turn into ... other mushrooms that give you Odious Puffballs (basically slightly upgraded Baseballs).

I'm not sure, need to check but it seems instabilities on shields/tomes etc don't trigger (???). but anyway what you want are overencrusted Universal Principles (Really Offensive Shielding) and Clockwork Gauntlets (Rocket Power) to stack all the damage and +melee power.

As a bonus you can get to 100 crit, meaning mobs will never dodge your thrown puffballs. (Oddly they were able to dodge my melee attacks, but if I did hit, I got to double all that excessive melee power). Keep a second gauntlet around and swap it in if you might get hit.

Puffballs cannot be recovered, so you don't get that bonus from the throwing tree.

You can also tack on tons of iron spikes to your gauntlet (+1 piercing each). This will add to your crossbow damage. Use plastic to make plastic bolts though.

11. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I almost never use encrusts(I can beat the game without them). It's a pain to collect the mats for them as well. My latest build doesn't even have any crafting skills(but still ironically crafts due to Faxpax's Rama Banana and Alchemy Bonus God/Tome). The reason why I'm staying away from crafting right now is because it seems to be in EVERY build i make. I actually want to see what it's like to not rely on levelling crafting early on. The dependence on crafting gets even more ridiculous if you have CK or RS.

Also, it says on the tin that if you encrust, enchant or corrupt the Titanium Shank, then your ingame character will get killed by Arron Syaoran after you defeat Dredmor, if you defeat him.

Edit: Faxpax seems to highly buff Alchemy(And cocktail mixing) by adding all sorts of awesome recipes and throwing flasks. Now I know why he says he loves alchemy on his signature.

12. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

From the 1.0.10 patch:

• MECHANICS: Changes to combat ordering. The new combat ordering is as follows:
      • If you dodge, no damage.
      • If you crit, and your opponent counters, no damage. If you crit and your opponent blocks, normal damage. Else, critical attack.
      • If your opponent counters, counterattack!
      • If your opponent blocks, 1/2 damage.
      • Else, normal damage.
      • At present, this only affects melee combat.

Kazeto and Alavaria like this.
  13. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

No, Swift Drinker is not in the game. And why would you want Lord Dredmor to gain more exp?

14. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

That explains it. Crits from range cannot be dodged (but non-crits apparently can be). Huh, that's very good to know. I don't think they can block ranged attacks either.

15. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I think ranged attacks can be countered, but only if it's not a crit. I've seen it happen to me before.

16. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Not thrown or crossbow, but if you use the "ranged" attack from say polearm tree, they actually count as melee attacks and you can be countered by mobs.

Worse, the polearm skills let you attack several mobs at once (also the axe.mace aoe skills) and if I am not wrong, you can be countered by multiple mobs and be murdered by them.

17. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I remember shooting a mob with a Thrown/Crossbow and it countered me. It was a Boss Monster. I don't know if it's even possible anymore, but it might have happened before the change.

18. I know what you mean. Crafting is very useful, but when you play a non-crafting character it feels so good to just be able to flog (or Skol!) all the materials without worrying about them rather than having to collect them all in your pocket dimension.

19. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Ironically, I like stashing everything. Well not everything. My last run I had 3000+ uneaten mushrooms. The type that turn into ammo.

20. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Every Time I get to Dredmor, I still have like a Dozen Cheesy Omelettes, a Dozen Deep Omelettes, 6-10 Grilled Cheese Sandwiches; if I have Smithing/Thrown I'd have over 120 Nzappa Zaps and Javelins, if i had Tinkering/Crossbows I'd have over 250 Ingeniously Scythed Iron/Bronze/Steel Bolts or Clockwork Drill Bolts.

Edit: Note that this is on Going Rogue Permadeath. Usually with a build that's anywhere from Pure Rogue to Pure Warrior(no Wizard skills except maybe Froda's Jump or some Level 1-2 Healing/Regen ability)

Kazeto likes this.