Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Mordewolt

Mordewolt Member

I see.
    Thanks

2. Dr. SKOL

Dr. SKOL Member

A really good one that I came up with was:

Axes
    Clockwork Knight
    Master of Arms
    Shield Bearer
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Perception

Thanks to that build and uncharacteristic (for me) lucky Krongs, I managed to get to floor 13 before I was wantonly slaughtered by a flock of potatoes.

3. Just completed a Dredmor-killing run this morning. Was on Easy (to get the achievement), but it was fun, and I'm fully convinced that Daggers Are Hax.

Haaaaaaaaaax.

Anyway, this build rocked pretty nicely:
    Daggers
    Dual Wielding
    Perception
    Burglary
    Fungal Arts
    Wand Lore
    Battle Geology

Both Vlad Digula and ol' Dred were finished off by using Petrification on them and then whaling away with well-Krong'd daggers that did ludicrious amounts of damage (an example from a couple of floors before the end is attached - it got Sillier from there). I do not intend to reuse that tactic on Dwarvish Moderation, though!

Attached Files:

4. West

West Member

Took out Dredmor on DMPD using, in approximate order of importance:

Piracy
    Magical Law
    Blood Magic
    Rogue Scientist
    Alchemy
    Tinkering
    Archery

Build order was approximately:
    1 in Piracy for Swashbuckling - This is the end-all solution to your melee problems.
    2 in Magical Law for Gag Order - with all this savvy, you'll 1-hit Octos (over 15 rounds) when you silence them, which makes floor 3 much easier.
    4 in Rogue Scientist for AOE counterattacks and the bomb
    3 in Magical Law for debuff removal, 50% spell reflect, and a reset button for Piracy.
    1 in Blood Magic for extra mana.

Everything else from that point out didn't matter because I never came close to death again.

The core idea of the build is basically to crank yourself up to 25 counterattack ASAP. When in melee, use Swashbuckling, then immediately reset the cooldown on Swashbuckling with Wright's from Magical Law. As long as your mana holds out, you're invulnerable to melee.

What about spellcasters? Well, Writ of Counterspell plus a mirror shield gives you a 99% chance to reflect most spells back at their casters. Also, Gag Order can silence casters and Polymorphic Injunction can transform them into melee. This also solves the corruption problem - polymorph them into something else.

Most of the build is pretty straightforward, but a couple points to note:
    1) Gag Order won't overwrite an existing Gag Order, so you'll have to watch carefully and reapply precisely to lock down casters completely.
    2) The same applies to Swashbuckling - if you use the skill while the buff is still up, you've wasted it.
    3) I handled Dredmor by silencing him, keeping Swashbuckling rolling, and using every spare cooldown to stack multiples of the Black Spot skill from Piracy. This is a powerful melee defense debuff that lasts 20 rounds with an 80 round cooldown - which, of course, was reset. With 3 stacks of -20 dodge/block/counter sitting on him, the gagged lich bashed himself to death on a wall of counterattacks.

Planning to take a similar build into GRPD. Will likely drop Tinkering and Archery. Traps can be ignored rather than disarmed and Archery was really just there for the bonus to accuracy. Archeology and Perception should make good substitutes.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Just tried a new rather impressive build:

Dual-wield
    Swords
    Daggers
    Polearms
    Smithing
    Emomancy
    Blood magic

By exploiting stands you can get first 100 block and later 100 counter (if you get the items right). It is completely invinsible against melee and doesn't need any armour at all. Emomancy is mostly for the ant-magical cloud to deal with spellcasters, although heal and acid helps early on. Also i found that 100 counter can be achieved even without +10 from the polearms stand so i guess you can replace it with something more useful like Archeology or Asassination.

6. MrEntity

MrEntity Member

That + swap shield-bearer for dual-wield (you'll have 100 block by level 9 or so and ridiculous armor from tinkering clockword gear anyway) Build 2 overclockworked arms and use all your krongs there.

Also:

Dodgy mark 2:

Swords (wait until you have 2 actually good swords before pumping it. I usually wait until level 5 AT LEAST before putting a point in it - Evil chests will either give you awesomeness or cause you to ignore the skill.)
    Dual-wielding (whenever you have a chance put points in)
    Artful Dodger (max immediately)
    Perception (get to 1 before second sight immediately)
    Burglary (level 2, then wait)
    Archeology (level 2 then wait, save all krongs until you have the double/alter and use them all on rings)
    Pirating (level 2 is the only really important one, the others can wait.)

Use armor that doesn't lower nimbleness and you'll have ridiculous dodge and ludicrous counter (i.e. extra dodge) by the end. You have to be careful for the first few floors though. Choose your battles.

7. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

At the moment I'm trying a new slightly magical vampire build for the permadeath run:

Vampire
    Master of arms
    Shield Bearer
    Demonologist
    Warlockery
    Archeology
    Unarmed

It mostly needs mana for the dreaded Celestial Circle + Warlock Challenge combo and Psychic Vampire is almost good enough for that with a little help from Baron's hat. I tried going with Smithing instead of Archeology for the emerald rings, but better trap handling (slightly) and more xp seems to be more useful (not really sure though). Do you guys think this may be an effective build in a lategame or should I probably had gone for something with more counter for a a vampire guy?

8. Got to floor 14 on GRPD with this build:

Unarmed Combat
    Master of Arms
    Ley Walker
    Warlockery
    Magical Law
    Battle Geology
    Burglary

Unarmed was a lot of fun, I decided to go through the whole game dual-wielding books. Once I got 2 Universal Principles, I was dominating. Not too happy about not being able to use all those lovely Chest of Evil weapons, though.
    MoA was great as always for extra regen, armour absorb, block and on-hit healing.
    Ley Walker was useful but not necessary. I could have easily done without.
    I only put one point into Warlockery before the late game, and I didn't really use it much, so I'm not really sure how well it could have been. Still, the Maille was really useful.
    Magical Law was incredible for dealing with ranged monsters. Gag Order is an excellent skill.
    Battle Geology is a great all-around skill. Seismic Uppercut in particular is fantastic. Apart from that though, I didn't use it a heck of a lot.
    Burglary is Burglary, always great for snagging items and teleports.

Overall, a solid build. By late game I was highly resistant or immune to almost everything. I finally died to a named Red Lichess during a monster zoo, who caught me by surprise by exploding me. One moment I was at 75%-ish health, dead 2 turns later. It could have been avoided if I was paying more attention. Oh well.

9. OldNile

OldNile Member

I made an attempt at a random skill build yesterday (video of it here). It was surprisingly effective - something that I never really expect when I go Random.

Swords
    Polearms
    Shields
    Fleshsmithing
    Ley Walker
    Emomancy
    Rogue Scientist

I didn't play for too long, but I did manage to clear most of the 1st floor with this build, so it sounds like something that could work well.

10. Leot

Leot Member

Im on level 8 with a (mostly) random build. It has several skills I had never used before and is rather an interesting gish:

This is all with sweet sweet swag turned on, acsii invasion, and ESCRII so Staves have stances.

Staff
    Psionics
    Wild Magic
    Blood Magic
    Dual Wielding
    Big Game Hunter
    Bankster

I took bankster to level 2, psionics to 3, blood magic to 2, wild magic to 3, maxed psionics, got haemetic phylactery, maxed wild magic and I am finally moving down the staff line. Any Suggestions are welcome.

11. Zenone

Zenone Member

Just finished the game on Going Rogue with a build made following the idea of "let's use all the more support-ish schools of magic without Promethean and Necronomiconomics and let's see how it goes!"

Golemancy
    Mathemagic
    Fleshsmithing
    Psionics
    Magic Training
    Ley Walker
    Archaeology

It was a sort of joke, the result was one of the strongest build I ever played XD The beginning is a little slow, but around floor 7-8 it really has something for every situation. With just one point in Golemancy, the moustache golem can do most of the first two floors for you, and then you rush Fleshsmithing to Miasmic Putrefaction, which is your strongest weapon throughout the whole game, With that and Thaumaturgic Tap you can face most enemies, the only problems is actually the big quantity ofconstruct between third and fourth floor, that are basically immune to Miasmic Putrefaction. For that reason I jumped the third floor monster zoo and got more experience, also taking advantage of two misterious portals - miasmic putrefaction and running away kills level 10+ monsters easy - started taking advange of archaeology - I usually don't use it, but i needed something to see at least some traps, and more experience with a slow build ist not bad - and I reached The Mortal Machine and then Channeler. The robot can tank for you a lot of stuff, and can survive quite a lot inside the Miasmic Putrefaction, so it's the perfect pet! By this point, you can destroy most Zoos by spamming Miasmic Putrefaction while the robot tanks. After that it was psionics - the sooner you get psionic shove the better it is, it works wonderfully together with the Putrefaction - to get Nerve Staple and Pyrokinesis, to poke to death stuff inside your poison clouds that survived them, and to stun&destroy single strong named enemies, who are actually the only nemesis for this kind of build. But when you also complete mathemagic, with the best teleport in the game and the recursive curse to torment even more enemies, you don't have to worry that much.

I completed Magical Training last - except Archaeology - and well, Blood Magic would have helped me a lot more during the game XD But by the end of the game, the increase in magical power was actually more useful, and for this kind of build to kill Dredmor you absolutely need some way to silence him. I don't actually think I EVER had a playthrough without finind at least one Sonic Wand, but if you want to be sure, Thaumoentropic Missile is quite useful.

Speaking of Dredmor, even with two The Log and other mage equipement, magic doesn't particularly damage him. I defeated him by dazing him, caging him inside walls through golemancy, and then it was all Pyrokinesis spam.

Really had fun with the build and the whole playthrough, happy to see that you can really get something out of most combinations of skill.

12. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Currently on floor 9 with another vampire build.

Vampirism
    Master of arms
    Unarmed
    Archeology
    Egyptian magic
    Blood magic
    Fungal Arts

And it seems already ridiculously overpowered. The hardest thing was to get some :resist_aphyxiative: to negate my own poison cloud damage in the beginning. Fungal arts really helped in the beginning with a summon (and an emmergency blood pack) and extra :resist_toxic:. Archeology is the key skill for the build since it provides it with exessive :mana_regen: to get all the glyphs going and :life_regen: for the vampire. This Translation is All Wrong! is in the end better than any other mana boosting skills. Just went through the diggle hell like hot knife cutting some butter. No Digula though...

Essence and Kazeto like this.