"Are you sure you want to do that" when going to the Pocket Dimension during a Monster Zoo

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by JimJam707, Apr 12, 2013.

1. JimJam707

JimJam707 Member

Sorry I couldn't think of a better title, but I hate accidentally going to the Pocket Dimension mid Monster Zoo by accident and losing out on the loot.

Bohandas likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

How do you 'accidentally' go to the Pocket Dimension?

Kazeto likes this.
  3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Maybe if you're trying to use bolts on an enemy that is around that side of the screen. :eek:

I'd much rather have a prompt for Mysterious Portals. Those are a pain if you accidentally walk into one without being prepared.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. That would be more annoying that helpful, i think - it's great for 'the one time you "accidentally" go into it during a zoo', but is otherwise an extra click that breaks the effortless ease with which you can access your item stash. Also, "accidentally" missing on the loot for a zoo isn't really a big deal. The game throws so much of these items at you, one up or one down doesn't make that much of difference.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

You forget that doing so cancels out the rewards for clearing the monster zoo.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Then it's not a problem with the game, it's airheadedness on the part of the user.

Arron Syaoran likes this.
  7. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Also the fact that that particular rule is not actually mentioned anywhere in the game.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Which fits in with Dredmor's style. Potions don't tell you a thing about what they actually do in most cases.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. Saharan

Saharan Member

No, but they do tell you that they're potions and you can drink them. Monster zoos tell you that they're monster zoos, but not that they break if you pocket dimension, or use a staircase, etc. There is no way whatsoever that this is conveyed to the user, save for an out-of-game leap of logic, and (if the leap isn't made) can actually lead users to think that the game is broken. That's bad.

Bohandas likes this.
  10. Wolg

Wolg Member

I think Althea means Aqua Fortis is a potion as well...

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

But they don't tell you what they do. That is my point. A lot of the mechanics of Dredmor are vague, and deliberately so.

It teaches you by making you learn. And if you 'break' a Zoo by going down/up floors or using the Pocket Dimension, then you realise something isn't quite right. You'll either ignore it or come here and get the answer.

Kazeto and Darkmere like this.