Make Brax stronger/harder to steal from

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nacho, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Nacho

Nacho Member

Right now, Brax is pretty easy to steal from. If you've got one of the few teleporting trees, you can easily rob him blind, hop to the floor's exit, and never worry about him or his collectors. And even if you don't, it's really not that hard to kill him. A decently specced warrior or wizard should be able to take him out by level 15 without any problems at all.

Why are stolen items suddenly safe as soon as you reach a set of stairs? Why not keep spawning collectors for the rest of the game, necessitating you to be strong enough to beat them before you can steal anything?

2. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'd say that it's "hard enough" to steal from Brax. Not everyone carries a teleport skill, and without a teleport skill, escaping brax can be a bit dangerous-- especially if the dread collectors can kill you in two or three hits.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Not to mention the dread collectors pack Corpus Burst, and come in huge endless waves. Having dread collectors be a recurring problem rather than a momentary immediate clusterfuck will probably make stealing easier, honestly.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Member

How's that?

5. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Because the real problem with dread collectors is their sheer number. If you don't have a teleport to a nearby staircase, you are going to need to tank the hordes, which is quite unlikely to work unless you've gotten a very strong character.

6. Nacho

Nacho Member

So how does making them show up on every floor make it easier to steal?

7. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I guess I was assuming you didn't mean they'd come in massive keystone cop hordes but would simply start spawning as monsters.

8. Nacho

Nacho Member

No, no, massive keystone cop hordes still. The only difference would be that they'd spawn on every floor, instead of just the one you stole something on.

Bohandas likes this.
  9. mining

mining Member

This defeats the entire point of stealing.

Kazeto likes this.
  10. Nacho

Nacho Member

What point is that?

11. Saphen

Saphen Member

That stealing is suppose to be a risk reward mechanic. It makes no sense to steal something if the risk completely outweighs the reward. That is not to say you couldn't attempt to make stealing a bit harder, I myself am neutral on the subject. But every floor remembering and sending collectors would be silly to the point of no fun.

12. Nacho

Nacho Member

Right now, the risk is close to nothing if you've got a good build, and the reward is items that trivialize the first 7 or 8 floors and obsolete all the crafting skills.

13. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

would dread collectors be more dangerous if they cast antimagic field on you instead of toxic cloud?

14. Saphen

Saphen Member

That is a big IF. With the large amount of freedom in your builds and randomization in dungeons you are talking about a mix of luck (close exit) and skill set. Now I am not saying you can't make it harder to steal things. I am saying that collectors on every floor isn't the answer.

15. mining

mining Member

Using a teleport to get out of a shop is dependent solely on there being nearby stairs.

Note: The (possibly unresolved?) issue with teleports not triggering brax's demonguards is probably an issue here.

16. Saphen

Saphen Member

Last time I teleported out of the room (last week) guards came a knocking. So I think if there was an issue it is fixed.

17. mining

mining Member

The trick is to only move via teleport - it may have been fixed, and if it has been, then there's no issue

18. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

The real problem seems to be that Brax is bad at knowing when you've stolen. It seems you can do something like:

Teleport out after picking an item up, then drop it immediately.
    Keep picking up and dropping the item to move it gradually toward a stairwell
    Pick it up and take the stairs down

And brax ends up none the wiser and no dread collectors come.