Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I keep thinking about builds and not playing them because other things.

egyptian
    warweaver
    barrier
    blood
    leylines
    dungeoneering
    staff

Egyptian, Warweaver, Barrier. The hope is that 1) egyptian and barrier will be all that you need, 2) my predictions about how much Egyptian loves magic power are correct, and 3) leylines + blood + extra booze is enough to keep your insane amount of buffs going AND let you cast Sandstorm. The problem is going to come when monsters pop the Minor Wards off you, leaving your squishy, squishy body vulnerable...

If I was being smart I would bring something tanky. Eh. Pure wizard with this concept is funnier.

radiant
    promethean
    warweaver
    magic training
    mana mastery
    burglary
    Tourist
    Math

This one won't work, primarily because it's pure overkill, which is typical for me. The idea is to try to overcome the anti-synergy of Warweaver with *actual spellcasters.*

If I wasn't setting out with the express purpose of being crazy and stupid, I would just say "holy crap .5 scaling on necro capstone." But I'm setting out to do the most extreme thing possible.

The thing about this build is that it theoretically has all it needs... but most of that is way, way deep into these trees. Burglary is probably the best keep-away skill that I can think of, but you really want its capstone; Ninja Vanish won't be good enough. Mana Mastery's "refund" trick is perfect, but it's deep in and Mana Mastery has a dead level for us--the one that gives a projectile. Magic Training's mana regen trick is perfect, but it's deep in.

Communist
    Uttercold Aspirant
    Kanadian Goalie
    Shield-bearer
    Bushido
    Berserk
    Mace

Okay this one is just flavorful and fun. Goalie is actually a really fun and cool skill. Communist is just because flavor and because General Winter. I played a build sort of like this at one point, and before I was halfway to Dredmor I literally had over 100 block chance. That run had Polearms--IMO you should try to tough it out without them so as not to have so much overkill.

Drunken Boxing
    Dungeoneering
    Paladinner
    Sweet Tooth

I don't even know what kind of build is going to click into this. Does it matter? It's hilarious. The main question is what the hell we're going to take that synergizes with Drunken Boxing. Again, does it matter? I worry that Paladinner is a little overpowered, anyway--maybe I'll test it with this.

Okay this one deserves some introduction. My experience with Rainbow Uchiha (she's nearing the end, haven't had much time to play) has shown me exactly what it takes to max out your ability for certain strategies. In Dashie's case this meant Ninjutsu's poof effect, plus the big dodge bonus from Drunken, plus a huge bulk of other crap.

I THINK I can make a build that comes very close to being good at absolutely everything.

Burglary. Burglary is a wonderskill in a lot of ways. In this case, we're filling our promise of being good at everything. In this case, keep-away. Burglary, as everyone knows, is the quintessential keep-away skill.

Dagger. Dagger is so roguey that it almost makes a rogue on its own. It gives sneakiness and is good for melee people who aren't actually building for melee. This will be fun. The main problem here is that Dagger sucks if you're not building to scale with it. We will see if this hurts us. Hopefully, the little benefits from other sources will make up for this lack of synergy.

Every class likes keep-away, and now we have keep-away. Cool. I'm not sure how roguey these two skills honestly make us, but we have some nice rogue tricks there.

Necro. Let's be honest, I'm just taking this to force the goal of "master of all three disciplines" upon myself. I originally wanted this to be Viking or Warweaver, and then I realized that the character was just Rainbow Uchiha all over again. So! Necro has a handful of cool gish things and a horrifying capstone for wizards. Here we go.

Blood. Mana management for gishes. Obvious and unexciting.

Warweaver. This is going to make life tough, but without it we won't fill our promise of being good at everything. Warweaver gives us a lot of magic power (if we end up taking enough Wizard levels), is sort of gishy, and has a pretty cool heal.

Our warrior levels need to give us more tankiness and ass-kicking.

Dual Wield. Let's face it, one dagger is not enough deepz. We can use whatever overpowered piece of zomg we find in an Evil Chest in the off-hand. This solves a very serious problem.

Vegan. I didn't want to do this, but we are trying to make the strongest possible build, after all. Besides the fact that vegan is cheating, Vegan is enough to make a badass warrior on its own. If you really feel guilty about this, replace it with Bushido.

Theoretically: We have what it takes to stab things in the face. We have lots of keep-away. We can throw the biggest nuke in the game with as much power as an actual wizard. What makes or breaks this is whether Dagger was a good decision or not and also how bad it is that we're rather squishy.

See, it would be cheating to have only Burglary as a "rogue" thing. Because then it's just a gish with Burglary. With Dagger, we're trying to force ourselves to be good Rogues along with everything else.

This is only one of two or three paths. One of them would, again, be Rainbow Uchiha all over again. The other would have Dodge and Geology. I'm beginning to think that that would be a better route.

Essence and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Hilarious idea, unrelated to anything else.

Vampire.
    Master of Arms.
    KUNG FU CHASER.

I need, need, NEED to try this.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  3. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

A few perfectly effective Magical Law builds I sorta wanted to brag about.

Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Rogue Scientist
    Archeology
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Wandcrafting

Early game - max Magical law and Tinkering. If it breathes, we can choke it, if it doesn't, we will polimorf it into something that breathes and choke it. Extra savvy and nice armor from Tinkering helps a lot. Surviving zoos is sorta tuff, but whatever.

Middle game - max Alchemy and Rogue Scientist. Toxic Canisters everywhere! Better than promethean!

Late game - max Wandcrafting and Rogue Scientist. Two rings of Sleeping Secrets + Hat of Bergstrom = Ultimate Death Ray.
    Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Clockwork Knight
    Archeology
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Dual Wielding

Early game - max Magical law, Smithing and Tinkering. Be an armored mage. Choke 'em.

Middle game - max Clockwork knight. Get two Clockwork Ravagers or 1 Clockwork Ravager + Hexaxe of Magic Axe Lords. Clockwork trashing + Crit hits + Unlimited Steam Brigade Charges. Full Clockwork armor set + Rocket Boots is a must-have at this point.

Late game - max Dual Wielding. Counter attacks + Clockwork trashing = NICE
    Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Battle Geology
    Archeology
    Tinkering
    Polearms
    Mathemagic

Early game - max Magical law and Tinkering. Choke 'em. And get Polearms 2 to keep 'em away.

Middle game - max Battle Geology and Mathemagic. Teleport into the very middle of zoos and large monster hordes and spam Earthquake. They won't be able to fight back at all because of the stun effect. So you can calmly recharge it with Wright's every second turn.

Late game - max Polearms for extra damage.

P.S.
    Why not burglary or ley lines teleports instead of Mathemagic? Well, Xeuclid's is not a cooldown ability, so you won't waste Wright's on it and you are gonna need mana badly, so Invisible Geometries is also a no-no. Clockwork knight teleports will probably fit in this build but i already did a full-clockwork build so whatever...
    I tried many ways of raising Melee Power here but Polearms + Tinkering's power armour seems to be the best possible way.
    Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Piracy
    Archeology
    Asassination
    Daggers
    Dual Wield

Early game - You're super squishy!
    Get piracy 2 for a bit of self-defence and archeology 2 for you-know-what and then proceed on maxing Magical Law. Choke 'em if you can, fence with them when you get surrounded.

Middle game - You're an unstoppable fencing machine!
    Get Wright's Irrefutable argument, Vital Siphon and Sneaky Stance, wear Baron' hat and dress like a mage. You're gonna need mana badly. Spam swashbuckling anf forget about armour.

Late game - Max Assasination and Dual Wield. Level up Blood Magic slowly til you get Hematic Phylactery.
    Now you're the boss. With sneakiness over one hundred your sneaky shiv is ultimate. And you can buff it up to 170 with corsair mists. You don't have to wear armour so replace it with cloak of sagan and other mage stuff and watch as your Et Tu? attack is starting to get scary. And if they manage to hit you between your endless cycles of swashbuckling+wright's you can heal instantly with your phylactery.
    And what's really impressive is that you buy top-quality daggers since you've got tons of money from selling pirate's jewels. Moravician BushDagger + Daemonic Diggledagger make an ultimate combo.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  4. Shan3th3pain

Shan3th3pain Member

I typically use as mix of
    -Unarmed combat (because it's very powerful and allows you to focus on just armor and accessories rather than weapons too)
    -Smithing (for the increase in health, you will be in everyone's face)
    -Artful dodger (so i get hit less and can menuver around the dungeon with knightly leap)
    -Master of arms (for defence increase, smae as health increase)
    -Perception (for visibility, loot, and traps which boost both money and XP)
    -Assassination (for the crit chance)
    -Then either (your choice) Burglary, (for more loot and XP) or Another crafting/character type (for their respective bonuses)
    I call it Over powered 9000 ;D

Thanks Kazeto!! :D

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  5. Ravel

Ravel Member

I don't know if this is a common skill combination, but right now I'm doing:

Promethean Magic
    Demonologist
    Killer Vegan
    Fleshsmithing
    Blood Mage
    Magic Training
    Burglary

Burglary's there for traps/utility/escape, but the main focus of the build is being able to sit still and spam Infernal Torus/Miasmatic Putrefaction while inside Celestial Circle without dying to self damage.

I'm not a veteran at the game, and I've only gotten to level 6 (Going Rogue/Permadeath), but it's been really easy going so far. I nearly killed myself when I first learned Miasmatic Putrefaction half-way through a monster zoo and didn't really understand what it did and walked into like 3 of them stacked on each other.

The first three skills seem to synergize well, even though they are mage/rogue/warrior, respectively. Demonologist gives loads of fire resistance at the end of the tree, and Killer Vegan makes up for the massive Righteous Resistance penalty it gives, since most Righteous damage is dealt by animals. You also get a lot of HP from Killer Vegan, as well as avoid aggro from all animals.

Fleshsmithing gives you an easy way to heal yourself, as well as a different damage type from Promethean, while giving decent health regen (reaching 1hp/turn in celestial circle, or with a few items) and a way to easily kill animals early-game (zombies).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Another magical law build coming through!
    Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Perception
    Archeology
    Astrology
    Tourist
    Burglary

Early game - max Magical law and Burglary. Lockup goes really well with Gag Order. And if they keep chasing you invisibility is always an option

Middle game - max Perception and Astrology. Now you can spam eye lasers and when it comes to zoos teleport to the very center and cast Stars Alligned.

P.S.
    Archeology can be replaced by Big Game Hunter for extra eysight but this build just craves XP since it is really squishy in the very beginning because of the lack of aoe damage.

7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

BGH gives extra XP also...?

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Well, yes... But not that much. I will probably try doing this build with BGH too, since it's not like this one needs Archeology for anything else. With both Burglary and perception traps no longer pose a serious treat.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

But it gives enough to get by on the beginning, and the additional meat means you don't need to worry about sources of healing and thus are likely to live.
    Not to mention that the diggle hounds make for a great distraction at times.

10. Here's what I've been trying to get through on a GRPD run:

Golemancy - I love walls or pets that are essentially my walls.

Necronomiconomics - Delicious, delicious rifts. I can't help but nuke lone diggles with them.

Astrology - Never used it before, seems to have nice buffs, so I went with it.

Mage Training - I think this along with ley lines is really nice for e-management. Also License to cast might save me with Dredmor, maybe? (I'm hoping yes)

Ley Lines- The second skill replaces booze for times I need a quick boost of energy, also the "Oh Shit" teleport has saved me a few times.

Burglary - I'm bad with dealing with traps, so here this is. Invisibility and teleporting anywhere are good things as well.

Wandcrafting - Well the encrusts looked fancy so I rolled with it.

Only problems I'm seeing so far is the lack of healing power. Oh, and monsters with high necro resist are annoying. I usually deal with those guys using a golem as a distraction while I whack them with a staff. Counter-attacks continue to be nasty though. I'm currently on floor 9 and I'm doing pretty well I'd say. I do still have a really bad feeling about Dredmor. So far the hardest part has been getting the ball rolling past floors 1-3.

11. Right now I'm playing through with:

Maces
    Berserker Rage
    Master of Arms
    Psionics
    Archaeology
    Burglary
    Smithing

I've been pretty successful so far, although it may just be that I've been pretty lucky with finding enchanted items.

12. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Member

The build I'm currently toying with:

Axe
    Dual Wield
    Bushido
    Warlockery
    Avenging Executioner
    Archaeology
    Burglary

My most successful build was:

Unarmed
    Throwing
    Artful Dodger
    Archaeology
    Perception
    Burglar
    Viking Wizardry

I took this one pretty far until I got squished for being careless.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Avenging Executioner is tight, even if the first level is broke and doesn't do anything.

Which, BTW, should be fixed shortly. :)

14. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Member

Good to know! Definitely enjoying the game. Thanks to you awesome modders out there... It's hard to achieve balance while still falling in the spirit of the game.

My current romp is this:

Mace
    Master of Arms
    Bushido (really liking this one)
    Smithing
    Tinkering
    Clockwork Knight
    Inquisitor (for flair)

Does anyone have any good builds centered around Cooliomancy?

15. Mordewolt

Mordewolt Member

Can anyone suggest working build for a clockwork kinght?
    I've randomed yesterday:
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Alchemy
    Wandcrafting
    Psionics
    Clockwork Knight
    Rogue Scientist
    I'm currently on 10'th floor, Tinkering, Smithing, Clockwork Knight are maxed with some points in wandcrafting (to get dem fiery wands for nuke-bolts) and alchemy (transmutation and Service Packs was VERY appreciated by me).
    My damage output is ok~ish, i have every item i could possibly desire that's encrusted to the point of me fearing "Next one will break it! Next one will break it!", but even if it breaks i have enough resources to craft it from scratch and encrust it again, but i feel like i hit the ceiling.
    Like, i fear that won't be able to tank or even damage higher level monsters.
    My resistances are TOO low, my counter chance is nonexistent (spin-to-win from CK tree helps alot, but it's unreliable) my dodge correction is zero (literally).
    What could you sugest me to try that involves CK, tinkering and smithing?

16. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Here's my favorite one:

Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Clockwork Knight
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Dual Wielding
    Archeology

With Magical Law's Wright's Irrefutable Argument you can use Charge of the Steam Brigade repeatedly which is downright scary. Blood mage gives you mana to do that' so there's no booze related problems ever. And with dual wielding your counter chance is improved and you can wield two weapons at a time, I recommend Clockwork Ravagers for maximum treshing.You can replace Archeology with something else if you aren't desperate for XP. Any weapon skill would go.

17. Mordewolt

Mordewolt Member

Will try it

18. Mordewolt

Mordewolt Member

Just to note, Clockwork Set cuts magix to near zero (to nullify trap damage, i suppose?) how to mitigate it apart from not using clockwork armor parts at all?

19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You usually don't care about it if you chose your skill trees appropriately. In your case it shouldn't really be much of a problem, seeing as both of the above builds are mostly-physical ones. Then again, it also depends on whether you are playing with the default game, or with Essence's rebalance, since it's about 50/50 there (half of us play with it, and half of us without it), and it does change some things rather noticeably.

20. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Only a single spell in Magical Law scales to magic power. And the most powerful offensive one - "Gag Order" scales to Savvy. And you will have plenty of savvy because of the Tinkering bonuses. This build simply has no need for magic power at all.

Kazeto likes this.