Steam Greenlight

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Mashirafen, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Billick

Billick Member

I think that as players we have to take responsibility on our purchases. We can't expect Gabe to hold our hand every time we buy a game off of Steam. There's generally more than enough information out there to make an informed purchase. I also think there are very few developers actively trying to scam people. Even War Z, which is widely regarded as a scam, has a pretty substantial number of people playing it (it's consistently in Steam's top 100 played), even though it's been pulled from the Steam store. I've never played War Z nor does it look like anything I'd want to play, but they're certainly doing something that appeals to people. There's also just a lot of people on the Internet who like to complain about things in general, and it gets a bit hard to figure out what's a legit complaint, and what's people just complaining for the sake of complaining.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

We should take responsibility for our purchases...

But Gaben and his crew need to take responsibility for their store, and for making sure their information is up to date, and for making sure all patches are delivered on time. Which, really, they've never been parituclarly great at.

As for The War Z - I've heard rumours that very few of those players will be legit. I *think* the developer gave out a lot of keys or something which meant a load of redemptions on Steam (hence how it got so high on the Top Sellers list).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Well that would even slow the process down more, creating a whole backlog of games and patches waiting on approval. I'm not sure if you quite realize what you are asking for.

mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

"Eff Greenlight. Steam is in business to make money. Not hold hands with babies selling inferior junk.

And if any of you looked at the pure garbage being posted on Greenlight, you would know why I say that.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Well, just maybe then, Gaben should hire a few more people? Considering they're rolling in money and Steam is growing, I think it makes sense to increase the size of the Steam team.

Okay, maybe the patches don't need to be approved, but there should at least be cursory efforts - particularly with indie and smaller studios - to make sure the product description matches the game. And considering everything we know about The War Z, the whole issue could have been avoided if Steam had actually looked at it before selling it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Greenlight is going away, but we don't know what the replacement will look like. exactly.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Aegho

Aegho Member

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The description sounds really cool. The 'action' part may not be my cup of tea (I'd have to try it), But it's still interesting enough to get my yes vote.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

One of the games we've discussed on this site, Bleed, has finally been Greenlit.

This is good news!

10. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I think I got that out of a groupees bundle a long time back.

...I wonder if it's good.*SOMANYUNPLAYEDGAMES*

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It is. A few of us here liked it, anyway.

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I really liked it. But it's really really short.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

And so is my attentio- SQUIRREL!

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

FYI -- Talisman Digital Edition (the multiplayer version which hasn't been released yet) was accepted by Steam Greenlight.

15. Aegho

Aegho Member

I'm considering the preorder of Agarest: Generations of War. A strategy RPG that went through greenlight, it's a port of a PS3 game (Record of Agarest War, yeah there was a name change). Apparently it's more unforgiving than Disgaea, and it's more strategic, but also the combats are much smaller scale(Scale of King's Bounty combat, approximately, but much more complex). Oh and it's also really long, easily 150-200 hours or more, and that's not counting replayability.

There's day 1 DLC(included if you preorder) but apparently it's just starting items you can get later otherwise, essentially head-start cheats.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237890/?snr=1_4_4__100_8

16. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Huh, That looks pretty neat. Gonna have to look into that...