Funny Pictures. Safe For Work, and Safe For The Kids Too.

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Mulan was Disney, not Pixar.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. mining

mining Member

That's why I said also Mulan.
    [​IMG]

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Oh. We were talking about Dreamworks and Pixar so the inclusion of Disney threw me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. mining

mining Member

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I have to admit that I fell asleep trying to watch some of those movies, and when that happens, I almost never have any desire to try to watch them again to see what I missed.

Animated films that I was able to stay awake during include "Up!" (but I'm a huge Ed Asner Fan from way back), "Monsters Inc." (Billy Crystal lol), and I THINK "Toy Story" (only the first one). Part of it is growing older and having at least two different sleep disorders. But I don't think that's all of it. After all, when I was younger, I couldn't stay awake during "Aladdin", and I actually usually love Robin Williams.

Honestly, I haven't even been able to stay awake for any Harry Potter, and that's book or movie.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. mining

mining Member

[​IMG]

Google, why do you get to decide what a real name is.

Giygas and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Next they will start telling people what to name their children...

Google is "worth" a quarter trillion USD at the moment, with no signs of diminishing anytime soon. Soon enough there will be "Google Coffeemakers" and "Google Vitamins" and "Google Toilet Paper"...

You will have to go register for the "Google Draft office" to fight the "Google wars" overseas.

They are not the worst business, but they have from time to time ignored their important founding principle of "Do no evil".

But to their credit, they host many wondrous things and have maps/charts that are far more accurate than US Navy Warships apparently.
    (A US Navy Warship was off coarse by eight miles and ran aground on a protected coral reef just a few days ago.)
    *Edit* Added the slash and charts next to maps since Ships use the term Charts whereas us fickle landlubbers use the term maps.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Kazeto likes this.
  8. mining

mining Member

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

At least these horse mask wearers are clothed...

10. jadkni

jadkni Member

Confession... my favorite animated movie is actually a Dreamworks film, not Pixar (Antz). Sure about 50% of their movies have been near-unwatchable schlock, but when Dreamworks is on their A-game, they're much better than Pixar (just my opinion!). Pixar is consistently good, but never really sticks with me.

OT:
    [​IMG]

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Well, I've been a huge Woody Allen fan since I first saw Bananas, so Antz was right up my alley. I wouldn't say it's among my favorites, but almost anything with Woody Allen is worth seeing.

jadkni and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. mining

mining Member

I'm just going to express my disgust for the fact that Dreamworks rushed out Antz on receiving information that Disney was doing an ant film. While they didn't quite steal the exact plot, it's awfully similar, both are based on ants, and they attempted to use it to get Disney to move their Bug's Life release away from Dreamworks' moses story thing.

Blegh.

[​IMG]

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Actually "Antz" was not based in any way on "A Bug's Life", but on Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". In fact, they differ more than that -- the target audience for "Antz are adults, not children.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I think Dreamworks tend to deal with bigger issues in their films, including sometimes more 'adult' ones (bee populations in Bee Movie, that superhero/supervillain reversal in Megamind), whereas Disney & Pixar stick more to simpler stories that have a quirk (Remy in Ratatouille, Merida's hair in Brave). This didn't apply to Up, though.

mining, jadkni, Kazeto and 1 other person like this.
  15. mining

mining Member

Warning: Spoilers for A Bug's Life and Antz below:

Sure, they're not the same, but there are strong similarities in the superficial plots.

They're both movies about ants, centering on an individual ant who is shunned (for some reason or another) by their peers. The villain wants to kill the queen. The villain kills themselves for whatever reason. The eccentric ant gets the girl, and becomes the equivalent of the king.

Sure, there's a non-identical 'moral' lying behind the stories, but they both have a largely identical 'broad brushes' plot.

There's also this:
    http://www.webcitation.org/5wO3hc9Oz

Ignoring the whole debacle of that:
    I find the political discussion of antz slightly contrived and forced in comparison to a Bug's Life's rendition of the old fable of the ant and the grasshopper.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. mining

mining Member

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I hear the same sort of complaints whenever two movies come out around the same time that have similarities It's really not something to get upset about. It happens. Movies can take a long time to make, especially animated films. Some of what you are saying is just not logical. But ok.

BTW, for years, J. Michael Straczynski has had to endure accusations that Babylon 5 ripped off DS9, in spite of the fact that he had tried to sell B5 to Warner Brothers (DS9s production company) long before DS9 went into production. But so it goes. People just get cranky sometimes.

In any case... Here's the great Howard Cosell in the opening scene to Woody Allen's "Bananas".

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Apparently Rio stopped Pixar making a film.

Rio was shit.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. jadkni

jadkni Member

Shame that it didn't happen the other way around. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Exactly!

OmniaNigrum likes this.