New Worst Build?

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Peter Radiator Full Pig, Dec 29, 2012.

1. With the introduction of Tourist in CotW I think we have a new candidate for the new worst build in Dredmor.
    Personally i think its something along the lines of
    Leylines
    Magic training
    Bloodmagic (These three skills can be great, if you have spells for them to compliment)
    Vampirism (Now you can only heal in combat)
    Tourist (Adds little once you have vampirism, seeing father not much use, more zorkmids not going to get you past the early game, and id imagine you cant eay with vampirism, though i have no confirmed)

So, what do we add in last? Wandlore can give useful wands to get some early kills.
    Vegan gives charm animal at level 2, which is actually quite useful.
    Tinkering/smithing might allow for crafting of decent, game saving gear.

My personal choice would be perception. Now you start with no weapon, have no defence, and no offence. Only healing comes from some lucky potions/shrooms or combat, which you would be terrible at.

What would people change? Maybe vampirism for archelogy? Or blood magic for dodge (youll dodge a few things, and still die promptly the second you get hit, id imagine?
    So many skills to uncompliment each other...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

You can eat anything through Tourist even with Vampire active, but you won't live long enough to gain that many levels anyway. I'd try to stick to Wizard skills that don't a lot of combat power on levels 1-3. Maybe Mathemagics and Egyptian Magic? Just try living long enough to get Sandstorm running when you have 100% combat-useless skills for the first 2 levels! :D

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. mining

mining Member

The 7th skill should be a utility only skill like archaeology.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Going to try some all utility, nothing to utalise it builds.
    As for egyptian magic, the asp buff isnt 100% useless in combat, not compared to something like leylines.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Yeah, but it's not enough to actually do anything except waste your mana, either.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Jojosimian

Jojosimian Member

Essence, if you definitively state the worst build possible, I promise to use it exclusively until I beat the game... or die trying. FOR THE EPEEN!!!

PS I will post updates. Bloody, bloody updates.

PPS I have like 200 hours logged so you know I'm at least vaguely serious about this.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. mining

mining Member

The worst build ever is simply:

Blood Magic,
    Ley Walker,
    Magic Training,
    Tourist,
    Dual Wielding [essences new version of it]
    Vampire
    [some useless utility skill]

TheKirkUnited, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Essence

^^ tahat, but it's actually pretty hard to find a truly useless utility skill. Maybe Archeology? Banksterism?

Nope: Artful Dodger. That's the worst.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. waitwhat

waitwhat Member

How about this combo?..

Big Game Hunter
    Tourist
    Paranormal Investigator
    Bankster
    Vampirism (reduces effectiveness of Big Game Hunter and Tourist because eating doesnt restore health)
    Rogue Scientist (none of its associated skills selected)
    Clockwork Knight (none of its associated skills selected)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. mining

mining Member

RS and CWK give crafting, Tourism and Vamp combo really well, and Bankster is a stand alone tree. BGH isn't a terrible tree - you can Eat Anything the meat, and Paranormal Investigator gives you some options. I'd say its too good to be the worst.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Essence

Dunno. I doubt you could beat the game with it, but gain just one level of CK and you could potentially carefully work your way il to Release The Diggles, which would carry you for 4 floors or so. PI also synergizes with RS because Alchemy.

Edit : Ninja'd

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I think I might give this a shot....

First Run: Died in in the first room which had a diggle, a blobby, and Bumble Bee Arthur.

Second Run: Starting room has a pitchfork, second room is Brax, the third has an IRON BREASTPLATE on the floor. I might make it to DL 2.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Stakhanov

Stakhanov Member

None of the new skills can be any worse than the old underpowered ones. Tourist gives you trap sight , money , pets and a foolproof escape - that's unacceptably useful.

Blood / Ley / Training with Artful Dodger , Assassination , Maces and Staves should be damn near impossible. Vampirism might synergize a bit with paralyzing attacks and high counter , so redundant weapon skills will have to do. Staves may get a bit extra damage from magic , but that's only if you deliberately invest in otherwise 99% useless mana skills.

No doubt the core skills revamp will change things.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. Essence

Yeah, if you're playing with the ESCR, you're definitely still going to fare poorly by throwing 3 skills away on Magic Training/Ley Walker/Blood Magic and then not taking any spells (except License to Cast, which is unavoidable). But looking for more uselessness all up in there...well, taking Vampire and then avoiding any skills that make you less squishy is a go.

But then you're taking no Wizard skills and no Warrior skills, so you have to try to find 3 Rogue skills that aren't terribly useful or synergistic together. Paranormal Investigator with no crafting...Artful Dodger...and, uh...

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

But then again, Artful Dodger isn't all that bad because it offers straight-up bonuses to dodge and similar stuff.

It's become hard to think up "the worst build" now. Which is definitely a good thing, because it means the game is more balanced.

mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. mining

mining Member

No, it actually used to be harder, IMO - because you'd still have some usable skills mounted on a horrible chasis - new dual wielding and stuff is what saves the day here.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  17. Essence

Tourist! I knew there was a Wizard skill that wasn't a caster tree. Sure, in theory it countermands the largest drawback of Vampirism, but do you think you can live that long? I seriously doubt it.

So:

Magic Training
    Ley Walker
    Blood Magic
    Vampirism
    Tourist
    Paranormal Investigator
    Artful Dodger

Try surviving when you start the game with stats that look like this:

LOSER.JPG

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Just waiting for someone to come around and say "Challenge accepted"...

Kazeto likes this.
  19. mining

mining Member

Swap blood magic for new dual wield so that you don't have a weapon + have -20 EDR.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  20. Essence

Or artful Dodger, yeah. Is blood magic somehow useful?

OmniaNigrum likes this.