Anyone play NEStalgia?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jan 16, 2013.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Aegho

Aegho Member

Yeah, been a while since I logged in, but yeah I'm a lifetime sub. It's going to suck up of months of your time. ;)

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! :D

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Why have I never heard of this?!?

/download

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

And that is the last we hear of Essence... Mwahahaha!
    (Just kidding. But the game does look good.)

Kazeto and Vitellozzo like this.
  6. Createx

Createx Member

It evidently uses BYOND, the same platform as the infamous SS 13. Which is extremely lag-prone I think, how does NEStalgia hold up in that regard? Being turn-based should help I guess...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Aegho

Aegho Member

Not going to say it's 100% lag free, but it's usually good. If you're solo there's no time limit on turns, if you're in a group or doing pvp, you've got 20 seconds to make a move. My chars are on Algol btw(PvE server).

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

When I get around to it that server is where I will be. You can probably guess my character names. :)

9. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Signed up. Essence on Algol. Dunno how much I'll play given my work/life schedule in the next few months, but I'm in. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have a Level six Wizard so far. It is a simple game. But it seems nice.

11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow night (or later if I can't sleep lol).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just gave up on the game due to the idiotic stealth junk that is mandatory to play. I do not mind grinding for hours or even days, but the stealth junk is so stupid I cannot and will not tolerate it.

13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I ended up not going to bed and I played a ranger (Haldur) untill level 8 or 9(?). I'm not sure what the stealth junk is that you are talking about, though I did have my own tiny issues with the game (don't get me wrong, I did enjoy playing it).

First of all, it gets tedious at times because of how frequent combats are. Combat in the game simply is only fun in very small doses. Yet the game forces you to have to grind a bit before you can be ready to actually complete the various quests, because no way can you do some of those early quests when you actually receive them. If it were just a matter of figuring out the proper tactics, that would be another story. Maybe it's better playing with a team but I haven't tried that.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

An MMO that needs you to grind? How rare ;)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I like how it's written "It Gets Better With Age" on this game's home site. Oh yes, it does, in more than just one way.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Createx

Createx Member

Oh, grinding is a no-no for me, I can only stand small amounts of grind, and those are already served by Borderlands, which has fun combat at least :)
    And I probably should have made two sentences out of that, yeah...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

MMOs actually (at least based on my experiences with Rift) are getting lots better at eliminating grind. That said, once you get to max level, the grind returns (Rep, gear, etc.) which is why I'm once again contemplating jumping ship.

But old MMOs? Yes, they were nearly all grind -- least the ones I played. That's a blasphemous thing to say for those old lovers of Nostalgia (if not Nestalgia lol). But it's true. There's very good reasons for all of the changes that went into making modern MMOs. Modern devs certainly are as mistaken about a lot of their design decisions as ever, but they are learning from the MANY mistakes of the past. (Just wish they'd learn faster).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Are they? The Secret World feels a bit grindy at times. Eh.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Old RPGs in general were nearly all a grind. But then again, they had to make games small back then, so the story was often just abridged "something" and the game was padded out with grinding.

Not that it's all that bad; in tactical games like Disgaea series (I know it's not very "classic" but it's still not the newest game ever), Fallout, or Final Fantasy Tactics, or even quasi-tactical like Suikoden, the grind could be interesting because of variety of situations you could find yourself in. Of course after some time it did become boring, too, but that's the point where you just take a break.

And if it's about grinding in MMO games, well...
    Honestly, I say that MMO games are about people and not about the gameplay. Sure, the gameplay itself has to be decent, but I'd enjoy playing a "decent" game with a lot of grind with my friends in the party, more than I would a "great" game with a balanced amount of grinding alone.

Oh, and if it's about the "(Just wish they'd learn faster)" part then it is partially fault of players too. Because if they make the game too different, the developers risk the game being shunned by players too used to the old systems.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Oh yes, TSW can be, if you screw up your build especially, and need more points to advance. But I really never encountered that grind otherwise. But then again, I quit playing in that last zone because I knew to fix my build (if that indeed was my problem) was going to mean redoing lots of content, etc. And for me, replaying content more than once is a grind. But it really isn't as bad as, for example, WoW, or EQ.

TBH, Rift can get grindy a bit before max level, but only if you let it. There are these quests that can only be described as grindy -- called Carnages. Essentially, they are all kill X of creature Y. Because they are so grindy, a lot of people tend to skip them (I did for a bit). They CERTAINLY are not essential to do (At least at that point). Unfortunately, at max level, they become more critical, if not for rep and the few things that can get you, but for "IS points" which is a kind of end-game currency" (one of far too many different currencies in the game). You can get IS in other, less grindy ways, but do anything enough times and even less grindy activities become grindy.

But that's still a lot of content you can play without grinding, and grinding outside of what I described is still a choice. But that's something I can't seem to 'grind' into the heads of a few of my fellow Rifters lol.

I got into this huge argument with this one guy who was complaining that Trion screwed up collectables by making so many different ones. I told him "But if you don't like it, why are you going after them? They are totally optional" They only thing you can get from collecting collectables are lucky coins (used to buy cosmetic crap), maybe a title or two for specific collections, and occasionally some crappy awards that are invariably unusable by anyone of your level.

But he said "But I can't finish this zone without completing the collectables"

So I said "Yes you can -- you are done when you say you are done. Just move on"

So he said "But it's not marked as complete"

So I said "It's a good thing that Trion keeps adding those collectables because it's something to strive for that can NEVER be finished. So you'll ALWAYS have something to look forward to. And if you DO complete them, it will actually feel like an accomplishment, rather than just filling in a tick mark and a checklist."

But I couldn't get through to him that he was being his own worst enemy. It was frustrating him to no end that he couldn't complete everything in the zone because of those darn collectables. And it does seem close to impossible to complete all of them. And once you realize that you move on, maybe checking the AH once in a while.

But in EQ, for example, up until max level, camping was a huge part of the game. You sat in one place for hours on end, killing the same mobs over and over again. And then you rested, regained mana and health (or at least waited for your casters to regain mana). And then you pulled the next mob(s). But on the plus side, it did give you lots of downtime to socialize. Which I believe is a good part of why people have fond memories of EQ instead of bad ones of endless tedium.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.