Hipster Mage build

Discussion in 'You Have To Name The Expansion Pack' started by MylesK, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MylesK

MylesK Member

So, I was trying around a few mage build but I seem to dislike Necroniconomism or how is i spelled) and same thing goes for Promethean Magic. There are any mage build that can deal good damage but have other damaging abilities? I don't mind not not having some not damaging abilities, I was just wondering if it would be viable.

2. mining

mining Member

Astrology is great - you need to build a little bulk to use its capstone in the most optimal way, but its capstone, blinding flash and solar inscription are all great.

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Egyptian Magic, Bankster, Ley Walker, Demonology, Viking Wizardry, Tourist, Burglary.

Get Lucky Pick and Thaimaturgic tap, then run to Sandstorm while Magic Steel is still good enough to get you there. Late game, Celestial Circle plus Fiscal Hedge with Tourist and Burglary escapes should keep you alive forever.

mining and Kazeto like this.
  4. MylesK

MylesK Member

Thank you!
    If anyone else has more builds, feel free to post 'em

5. Olivy

Olivy Member

Not a build, but I haven't seen much talk about Fleshsmithing beyond the zombie pets or self-heal. Fleshsmithing's Fleshbore is excellent in its low cost, no need for line of sight, and stacks debuffs that ensure even the toughest foe will eventually fall. Combining it with Blood Magic/Leylines makes for an easy early game.

Fleshsmithing's capstone gives a powerful, and long lasting AoE that clears out zoos. Even better, its damage and cost scales well to magic power and Savvy. Even in floor 11-15, combination of self healing and and lingering poison clouds can tank even named mobs.

Essence likes this.
  6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, I'm surprised that Fleshsmithing doesn't get more play -- I think it's probably because you have a pretty hard time actually killing things with it until the capstone. Sure, Fleshbore is OK for single targets if you can afford to kite them, but Corpus Burst requires you to already have a dead body before you can work an AoE of out it, and that's just not really core-character-engine material.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. MylesK

MylesK Member

Yeah, actually I tried a build with Fleshmithing as a secondary damaging ability and it was pretty cool!

8. Indiggles

Indiggles Member

I find that Fleshsmithing is my go-to skill if I want to FORCE another skill combo to have survivability where it otherwise had none. Knit Tissue is insanely powerful, and I even found with approx. 30 Magic Power (had it pretty easily, even on my melee-based pirate) the capstone can clear out Zoos with relative ease, even on the deep floors (which is nice because I didn't have any desire to snag the capstone until I was already on floor 11 or so.) I know this was originally a mage-build thread, but I find Fleshsmithing is best when splashed (though it obviously will make a pure-mage even more viable) due to it requiring relatively low Magic Power and Saavy to be useful. Plus, when it's the only thing you're spending mana on as a rogue or warrior, you always have that clutch heal available, which is invaluable.

9. MylesK

MylesK Member

Well I'll keep that in mind too, thank you!

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, the skill tree is good, but we can easily say it is not an "engine". And since its abilities are of the "boring but practical" type, not many people will mention it if it's not an engine.

But it does get used, Essence. Or at least I use it (but then again, I usually have no problem with dealing with masses of monsters, so single-target buffs and things which utilize corpses are good for me, and a spammable heal is a nice bonus).

11. Createx

Createx Member

I'm running a very Egyptian centered build, focus on magic power for Sandstorm, but with very powerful melee capabilities.
    Build:
    Egyptian Magic, Leyline Walker, Blood Magic, Alchemy, Fungal Arts, Burglary, Dual Wielding.
    It performs extremely well in any situation, be it zoos, named mobs or single mobs. I play on Dwarvish Moderation though, but I think this should be viable on Rogue as well.
    You are probably surprised at Dual Wielding without weapon skills. The build was actually an experiment to see if this works, and I think it does well (not running the rebalance mod yet). It gives you a lot more hitting power in the early game, since you can use any two weapons! Anything the game throws at you, just use it. Haven't put a single point in it yet :)
    The general idea is getting so much mana regeneration that you can keep all Runes from Egyptian Magic running all the time and have enough power to cast sandstorms whenever you want it, with lethal effects. The runes + Dual Wielding + Alchemy ensures quite some power in melee as well, but you are kind of a glass cannon.
    Usage:
    Get one point into Fungal Arts. The shroom beast can carry you through floor one easily. I then proceeded to get Lucky Pick, Rune of Imhotep, then nearly maxed Fungal Arts, but didn't take the last since the mushroom beast sucks.
    That gives you impossible amounts of fungi, you can keep Lobstermanes running all the time, while having Fairywodgers to heal etc...
    From there on, you can basically proceed however you want. I went to Sandstorm then, after that Alchemy and Leylines, and only after that maxed out Egyptian. I have no mana problems at all with all runes active, intelligent casts of Sandstorm are basically free due to Blood Magic, while you get crazy regen through Leylines. I usually don't even need Thaumaturgical Tap. And I still have tons of booze and Nightcaps in reserve, which enables me to use the Leyline capstone as well.
    A fully powered Sandstorm can obliterate zoos in 2-3 casts usually :D

Kazeto likes this.
  12. MylesK

MylesK Member

Cool, thank you for the build! Going to try it.

13. Nacho

Nacho Member

About half that build was nerfed (quite heavily in some cases) in the rebalance, so I wouldn't suggest trying them together.

14. MylesK

MylesK Member

it's necessary to run that mod? I mean, I want to know if I'm doing something wrong by not downloading it.

15. Nacho

Nacho Member

Necessary? No, but it's highly recommended. It nerfs overpowered skills like Egyptian Magic, Leyline Walker, and Dual Wielding, boosts underpowered skills like Archery, and changes boring skills like Magic Training.

Essence and Kazeto like this.
  16. MylesK

MylesK Member

Ok, thank you! Going to install ii

17. Nacho

Nacho Member

18. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Member

I wonder, how viable is Psionics as damage support? While it lacks strong AoEs, it does get some strong single target options in the form of Nerve Staple and Pyrokinesis. While Nerve Staple cannot be reliably spammed due to the existential resistance added by the debuff, it should make for a great first strike, as it also paralyzes the enemy and lowers its magic resistance (Not sure how much that tends to be an issue though). Finally, Unconditional Love could let you charm the biggest threat in the room. both to get it off your back and to help take care of the other nuisances.

19. Nacho

Nacho Member

Never tried it, but in theory, it looks quite nice. You'd probably want to combine it with an AoE skill tree like Promethean or Egyptian Magic to take out Zoos and you'd have a pretty solid build.

20. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Member

Well, considering the idea behind the thread is to avoid picking the usual "massacre everything" mage skills... hmm... wonder how effective Fleshsmithing would be for zoos. Get a few kills in, start making zombies, blowing up corpses, and using poison gas. Or Emomancy's chemical explosion?